1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting... vegetarian that don't want to loose weight

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by worldtraveller, Feb 28, 2019.

1. worldtraveller

worldtraveller · Active Member

I'm a 57 year old, healthy weight with A1 5.9. My doctor suggested that I do intermittent fasting to get a quick response to lower my sugars. I'm new at this and am going to do a 16-8 twice a week. Any suggestions for vegetarians?

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Umm, if you are fasting why should being veggie make a difference? Fasting is fasting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. T2#Me

T2#Me · Well-Known Member

Because he's only fasting twice a week?

4. T2#Me

T2#Me · Well-Known Member

there is a sub section on this forum for vegetetarians ... might be helpful.

5. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An A1C of 5.9% is in the non-diabetic range. Not even pre-diabetic. Why does your doctor think you need to lower your blood sugar levels?

6. worldtraveller

According to my GP feels that 5.9 is too high and is leading me down a dangerous path.. My A1 has gone from 5.3 to 5.9 over three years. I have siblings with diabetes, along with one parent, and five aunts, including one aunt who was blind and lost a leg. This is why I'm going to stay ahead of this slippery slope. My doctor strongly urged me to get a grip of my eating habits. .

7. worldtraveller

if you are fasting why should being veggie make a difference? Fasting is fasting. Unhelpful response, but you do have a point.. Thanks

8. worldtraveller

I just looked on a couple of sites. According to the Mayo Clinic, pre-diabetics is 5.7 – 6.4. I'm 5.9.

9. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I disagree with the Mayo Clinic. But regardless, rather than fasting, you should reduce carbohydrate intake to reduce your blood glucose levels.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook