Fattier foods - blood sugar

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Anyone else experience this ? If I on the rare occasion I eat something with a high fat content, I tend to find that it takes at least 2 hours for my blood sugar to react. What actually happens is my insulin brings me down and here I am 2 hours after eating with my blood readings lower than they were before I are ! As daft as it may sound I'm starting to wander I did be better off injecting an hour or two after I've eaten. Like I say this is rare as my diet is pretty healthy overall but the odd treat like a frozen Chicago town pizza tonight causes all sorts of problems !

Any thoughts on injecting times for this sort of thing ?

Paul

QuirkyBit86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah. Have had this before and was advised on carb counting course that fattier foods will take longer to have an effect on blood sugar. I think their advice was to inject 20-30 mins after eating, or split the dosage up over the course of an hr. Others will probably be able to provide more accurate information.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you google: diabetic pizza effect
There will be a lot of info from delayed to split dosing

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I split my dose with fatty foods

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
For high-fat meals you need to split-dose, meaning you split your insulin dose in two taking some before or just after the meal and the rest 2-3 hours later depending on your bg results. It's trial & error at first but it works and allows you to be flexible with your meal choices.

D

Deleted member 83869

I know you are not on the pump! But pizza is a disaster for me....when I do have it I take my dose give it an hour or 2 and then go on a temporary basal rate for 2 hours...which means it gives me extra insulin than normal to compensate!

Probably not helpful to you but just thought I would share!

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to have a play around with the timings of it all on future

Paul

Reactions: 2 people