1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fattier foods - blood sugar

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by PG1759, Jul 20, 2014.

1. PG1759

PG1759 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Anyone else experience this ? If I on the rare occasion I eat something with a high fat content, I tend to find that it takes at least 2 hours for my blood sugar to react. What actually happens is my insulin brings me down and here I am 2 hours after eating with my blood readings lower than they were before I are ! As daft as it may sound I'm starting to wander I did be better off injecting an hour or two after I've eaten. Like I say this is rare as my diet is pretty healthy overall but the odd treat like a frozen Chicago town pizza tonight causes all sorts of problems !

Any thoughts on injecting times for this sort of thing ?

Paul

2. QuirkyBit86

QuirkyBit86 Type 1 · Member

Yeah. Have had this before and was advised on carb counting course that fattier foods will take longer to have an effect on blood sugar. I think their advice was to inject 20-30 mins after eating, or split the dosage up over the course of an hr. Others will probably be able to provide more accurate information.

3. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

If you google: diabetic pizza effect
    There will be a lot of info from delayed to split dosing

4. amberzak

amberzak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I split my dose with fatty foods

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

For high-fat meals you need to split-dose, meaning you split your insulin dose in two taking some before or just after the meal and the rest 2-3 hours later depending on your bg results. It's trial & error at first but it works and allows you to be flexible with your meal choices.

6. ohitsnicola

ohitsnicola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know you are not on the pump! But pizza is a disaster for me....when I do have it I take my dose give it an hour or 2 and then go on a temporary basal rate for 2 hours...which means it gives me extra insulin than normal to compensate!

Probably not helpful to you but just thought I would share!

7. PG1759

PG1759 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to have a play around with the timings of it all on future

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook