Fatty Liver and High fat, low carb diet

magicaldebs

Hi All
I have followed an Atkins type diet a few times in the past with good effect, both weight loss and diabetes control. I must do something again as my glucose levels have been unstable, despite increases in medication.
At a recent check my GP noted that my Liver Function tests were raised. They have been raised for around 15 years but apparently there has been a significant increase of late. I had a scan of my Liver which showed many Gall stones and a fatty Liver. The fatty Liver was expected but I am now wondering whether the high fat, low carb diet will have any effect, positive or negative on the fatty liver?
Any ideas?
Debs

pianoman

My opinion (and I am NOT a Doctor) is that: much like excess fat mass anywhere else on the body, it is dietary sugars & refined starches -- and not the dietary fat -- which has the greatest negative impact. I've been eating LCHF for over 3 years; my Liver Function Tests (LFTs) are normal. When I was initially diagnosed, I was tested using ultrasound & LFTs, and did have fatty liver at that time.

Dr Lustig explains how eating too much Fructose causes fatty Liver (amongst other things) here...

[youtube]dBnniua6-oM[/youtube]

It is well worth watching Dr Lustig but if you really can't spare the time here is a short version...

[youtube]tdMjKEncojQ[/youtube]

magicaldebs

Hi Fallenstar
No I'm not much of a drinker. I'll have the odd glass of wine on holiday or at Christmas. Probably the equivalent of a two or three bottles a year.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'd discuss it with your HCP. I've heard a theory that a low-fat diet can cause gallstones because the gall-bladder doesn't have enough work to do and the bile gets sluggish and thickens - but that could just be an urban myth. Talk to your GP.

Viv 8)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I don't believe a thing about high fat diets causing Gall Stones. I had gall stones in my early 20's - straight after I had a baby. It is the hormones causing them and not really diet related at all. The fatty liver may be a different story. If you carry a lot of weight around your middle then just being over-weight might be the problem.

jopar

Personally I would speak to your HCP's more so if you've already got gall stones..

The people who had Gall Stones (My mum included) once the Gall Stones there they could not tollerate eating any fats eating fat would making them feel or be sick, and cause them a lot of pain for a while after..

Is it diet that causes them not sure.. But can say with the exception of one all were females and with the exception of the male all have followed the verious 'In' diet to lose weight!

Fallenstar

Hi Magic :D
I had a few raised liver profile tests done years ago, Like yourself I was never a big drinker but I was overweight at that time and eating whatever I wanted , and mainly carbs. It was just after having my Son and I had had a very difficult time and had PND, anyway I digress. My Labs were bad. I ,like you went on the Atkins ,the weight flew off and I did increase my fat intake at that time and my Triglyceride levels (which were bad) came right down and my Liver labs came back in the within range, range.
So I have stuck with the low carb diet on and off since,and I'm not scared of fat, natural fats. Sometimes I'm lower sometimes higher carbs, depending on what my needs are at that time...but overall this lifestyle / diet has worked for me and my Liver is always within range now...

Also, it keeps my weight good, as you have mentioned. Go get a full check up done though as there are a number of reasons why Liver enzymes can be raised you need it thoroughly checking out, but in my experience following the low carb lifestyle has had nothing but a positive effect on my health....but that is just me, not saying it's the holy grail or anything :wink:

Let us know how you go on and the best of luck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi i tried an atkins type diet which worked really well started losing weight and had 2 stop my insulin but started having really bad panic attacks is this normal as i want 2 start back on the diet as ifelt alot better apart from the panic, has anyone else experienced this or is just me and will it pass.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
No, panic attacks are not a usual side-effect of Atkins - not in my experience anyway!

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the Atkins diet a few years ago (before being diagnosed with diabetes).
I was only on it for a couple of weeks when I ended up in alot of pain and really ill. It was discovered that I had gall stones and had to have my gall bladder removed. I am not sure if the Atkins diet caused it or just aggravated what was already there (maybe lying in wait) -although prior to starting the diet I had no pain or gall stone symptoms. I have never followed the Atkins diet since :!: I am trying to low carb now to control BG level but no where near as strict as the Atkins diet.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
As far as I understand it (never having had the problem!) the pain of gall stones is caused when the gall bladder contracts to squirt bile out to help digest dietary fat. So if you'd been eating low-fat and then include quite a lot of fat again, you might get the pain of 'lying in wait' gallstones that haven't troubled you before.

This is all hearsay, of course - I really know very little about the human digestive system :oops: . There are people on here who know much more than I do - please don't be too rude when you shoot me down in flames :wink: :lol:

Viv 8)

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Having had gall stones it is the stones that block the bile duct that cause the pain and also upset the liver. I became quite jaundice with gall stones. You get a bit of a yellow tinge to your skin and especially the whites of your eyes. Maybe if you had your gall bladder removed your liver would thank you.