Fav hypo treat!

hollyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys I was just wondering what everyone uses to treat there hypos?? I know there a pain in the bum but sometimes it's nice for the surgery treat! Jelly babies I normally use as they bring me up normally two but I do love a sugar mouse just thought I would see what others like to use to help them back to the land of living ?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stick to Glucotabs because I know exactly how much of a rise I'll get. Chocolate raises my levels too slowly.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I sometimes also use gluco tabs they are very good and keep in the plastic container.
But the best I use is a small carton of orange juice. This is just right and was recommended by the nurse doing my DAFNE course. It tastes nice and is cheap. Has about 19 gms of carbs. But for speed in a panic use the gluco

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few Maynards wine gums for me trouble is I like them. If in desperate need then it's lucozade. ☺

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I use dextrose tablets ,as they're not addictive and I don't like the taste. If i use jelly beans I tend to over eat and then over shoot :-0

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly Belly - 2g each, great for turning a slow drop.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
JB's , although I keep glucotabs in my car.

samantha13

I only use glucose tabs when I've nothing else as I find it so hard getting through the six tabs I need to raise my bg. Jelly babies or a 200ml carton of orange/apple juice works well for me.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Juice or cereal especially if its morning. It shoots sugars up quick even with lactofree milk

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I normally use Jelly Babies but a month ago went on a hill walk and forgot to take anything and went down to about 2.8mmol/l, so ended up eating daughter's banana, chewed slowly so easier for body to digest fructose, bought me up to 7.8mmol/l by which time i'd walked back down the hill to the pub ;)

Reactions: 8 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally use Lucozade tablets since each one brings me up 1 almost exactly.

That said if my sugars are a little low then a mug of Sainsbury's low calorie hot chocolate is yummy and only 6g CHO which raises me by 2. So I look forward to the bed time test where I get something around the 3's because then I can have some medically prescribed Hot Chocolate :)

/A

Reactions: 9 people

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it depends on what the reading is, I usually drink a small can of coke (150ml) and then follow up with a slow acting carb like a plain digestive biscuit.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hypo treat (if it wasn't a bad one) used to be Creme Eggs at this time of year, but the new recipe is revolting (in my opinion) so now I'll have to stick with Haribos, flying saucers and Fry's Chocolate Cream.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
we have orange juice cartons in the fridges at work and they have literally saved my life (and my driving license) many times.

though I wouldn't count them as a favorite.

the humble digestive is still a good one. 10g total with a fairly good fast to slow split per biscuit.

Ilya83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends. Something yummy yummy . But when it's emergency Dextro is the best.

2rbyx38.jpg