Fear of going low and struggling to put weight on

Kaffi-x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my name is Kathy and this is my first time posting. I’m here to try and find some help or advice from other T1.

Before I was diagnosed T1 in 2015 I was average 50kg (I’m 5’3). To me it was a healthy weight and for the first two years of T1 I was able to maintain it and have semi good control of my sugar level. After a few episode of severe hypoglycaemia. I now have a fear of going low and major anxiety of it too. This had triggered my ED to come back and send my anxiety through the roof every time I think about food. My weight currently is 45kg and I’m feeling really slim and underweight and I am trying to put weight on but at the same time I’m scared to inject when I eat. This is causing me to be high and I’m finding it difficult to keep it within range. I feel I need some sort of therapy or help to deal with this as it’s really getting to me on a daily basis. I get nervous with the thought of food which also triggers my IBS which then makes me nervous to inject for any food. My anxiety is so bad I kind of get mini panic attacks.

Please can anyone advice some kind of therapist or dr that can help me?

Thank you for reading

• Hug
Reactions: ianf0ster and JAT1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm so sorry you are suffering. This is unfortunately an all too well known condition and I would urge you to contact your GP and diabetes clinic now. It's good that you are self aware enough to recognise your condition and ask for help.

I'm not sure of the resources available in the UK (or your country if not the UK) but if you are in the UK you could try phoning the diabetes helpline
20200529_NHS_diabetes_support.pdf (rackcdn.com)

Good luck.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, my name is Kathy and this is my first time posting. I’m here to try and find some help or advice from other T1.

Before I was diagnosed T1 in 2015 I was average 50kg (I’m 5’3). To me it was a healthy weight and for the first two years of T1 I was able to maintain it and have semi good control of my sugar level. After a few episode of severe hypoglycaemia. I now have a fear of going low and major anxiety of it too. This had triggered my ED to come back and send my anxiety through the roof every time I think about food. My weight currently is 45kg and I’m feeling really slim and underweight and I am trying to put weight on but at the same time I’m scared to inject when I eat. This is causing me to be high and I’m finding it difficult to keep it within range. I feel I need some sort of therapy or help to deal with this as it’s really getting to me on a daily basis. I get nervous with the thought of food which also triggers my IBS which then makes me nervous to inject for any food. My anxiety is so bad I kind of get mini panic attacks.

Thank you for reading

Hi @Kaffi-x and welcome to the forums.

It's unfortunate that fear of hypo's is causing you issues. Do you have a diabetes nurse or number for your local endocrine centre that you can call for advice?

I am wondering what basal insulin you are using and what your injection regime is?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kaffi-x - if you are looked after by a diabetes clinic, they'd should have a psychologist used to working with those living with diabetes. They could be able to help you work on the root causes of these issues.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Tiggy63#

Don68

I think a libre would help you as it has the alarm , it has really helped me. I am also very slim and find it hard to put on weight . I set my alarm at 4.3 so I have plenty of warning of hypos coming. Also try to eat little and often, I have a small appetite and eat a lot of cereal bars and small bananas which helps to keep my sugars more stable. I hope this helps as it’s horrible. I also used to get panic attacks after experiencing several horrible hypos whilst out shopping, now I have the lubrex2 with the alarm it has given me more confidence.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think a libre would help you as it has the alarm , it has really helped me. I am also very slim and find it hard to put on weight . I set my alarm at 4.3 so I have plenty of warning of hypos coming. Also try to eat little and often, I have a small appetite and eat a lot of cereal bars and small bananas which helps to keep my sugars more stable. I hope this helps as it’s horrible. I also used to get panic attacks after experiencing several horrible hypos whilst out shopping, now I have the lubrex2 with the alarm it has given me more confidence.
My son has just got a libre but it getting ridiculous readings he is unable to find any help

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude

Thank you for reading
I feel you so much when I read this.. I had the same problem and I’m sure it’s more common than we think, my first suggestion is have you done the Dafne course, if not I would highly recommend doing it. It’s a big eye opener and helped me a lot. I suffer with eating the same things everyday and this has become an obsession because it’s easier for me to take the amount I know I need. If I eat something different like going for a meal with friends and family, it’s always a rough guess but I personally just go a bit less as I know I can correct later. Also the carbs and cals app or book is another great tool. Going low frightens me but jelly babies are the best hypo treatment, I was trying to glucose shots and all the others but after 10-20 mins my bloods are on their way back up and I don’t think I have been lower than 3.8 since the Dafne course.
Really hope you get over this scared feeling as I know most of us have felt it, it’s a hard balance but you can do this, sending hugs