1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Feel ashamed

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Robbieswan, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have this overwhelming feeling of shame. Shame I am such a drain on NHS resources, shame because I feel conceited and attention seeking. This whole thing isn't sitting well with me at all. I hate it. I want it to just go away !. NOW !

• Hug Hug x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well you needn´t feel that , no-one in here think you should be ashamed, this is a difficult task you have been put on, and it is quite normal not to gain control right away when learning to manage insulin... it is not that easy , so be kind to yourself you are a green beginner, and I am sure you would understand how difficult that can be if you saw this happening to another person than yourself... we are here for you because we all know diabetes is not that easy and not only about "sugar"

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  3. Hammer1964

Hammer1964 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Robbieswan, you are not a drain on the NHS, if they were not there then your situation could have been far worse. You are not conceited or attention seeking, you have a chronic condition and you need the attention to get you over your hurdles until you stabilise a little.
    After 7 months my condition does not sit well with me either, I would pay everything I have got to not have it but life is not like that. I still hate it but I have learnt how to live with it a bit better and by reducing my blood sugar I feel I am getting one up on it.
    Stay strong and keep fighting, it is worth it.
    Tracy

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now you are being silly

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Please don't feel this. You are not a drain on resources. You are not remotely conceited. You are not seeking attention. Please be kind to yourself.

Having said all that, do please give yourself permission to feel fed up about your recent diagnosis and that awful 24 hours you've just had so soon after you'd come out of hospital. You're absolutely allowed to be annoyed about it. And golly me, you're human!

Chin up. You're smashing. Stick around with us here. We'll all help you as much as you can.

But don't for a single second consider yourself anything like a drain on anyone's resources!

Love Snapsy xxx
    :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You paid for it with your taxpayer pounds. We all paid for it (well, not me, I'm in America) because we believe in universal care provided free of charge at the point of delivery. It is a huge matter of pride even for me, an expat Brit. You deserve the best care you can get.

I remember that. I ended up apologizing to all sorts of people, who insisted that I didn't need to apologize. Later I realized how right they were.

Some of us have trouble asking for help, and then when we do, feel shameful for doing so. I know I do. After all, I'm British, and male. It's normal. Not very helpful, but normal.

As for wanting it to go away: that too is perfectly natural and something that most of us have probably felt. To start with, I went through a period of disbelief. Perhaps the test result was wrong? Then, for a while, a feeling that if I really had diabetes, then life wasn't worth living.

Time, and learning to deal with your condition, will be great healers. It is very early days for you. One step at a time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Robbieswan

I have called a plasterer to fix the hole in my wall. I punched a hole in my wall. Costing me £96. Thisnjust gets better

• Hug Hug x 5
  8. caroline_92

caroline_92 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Keep your chin up & be kind to yourself - it will get better for you over time. And the care you have got from the NHS is what they are for and I am very proud of them.
    In time, I became glad I knew about my diabetes, so I could manage it, as it is a manageable condition. I am now healthier, fitter and stronger than I was before :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Robbie we all need the nhs at times no shame in that. When I was told I had diabetes I was upset, now I see the more I control this the more I can help my family if they ever got it. Stay strong

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey @Robbieswan . It's what the NHS is there for. If they didn't have patients they would cease to be.
    My wife is a nurse and believe me YOU ARE NOT A DRAIN I could tell you many a story of drains on the NHS.
    You've had a big week, you've given it your best shot.
    Perhaps go home and have a chat with that daughter of yours who won the medals recently.
    Figure out how she set about being a medal winner. I doubt she woke up on a Monday and decided to run the race the following Saturday. She probably went through hours of learning, training, working on getting out the blocks, work on stride patterns, learning to pace the race, adapting race strategies, resting between training, warm ups, cool downs, what to eat, what not to eat, dealing with pre race nerves the list goes on. All this for a race.
    Perhaps you could implement something like this to enable you to run your diabetes race.
    You ran the race, you got out of the blocks okay, you had good pace BUT you didn't realise your laces were not laced up and the race ended unexpectedly for you.
    Make all the preparations this time before you run the race, like your daughter does.

PS I've never had an online hypo before, put a tick in that box for yourself :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Robbieswan

I now feel overwhelmed. You are all so fikkin wonderful

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Robbieswan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Robbieswan

This is my daughter at the award ceremony

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My hubby did that once in his annoyance at some pigeons on the balcony, He punched a very neat hole in the window. The window repaid him by slicing a very neat hole in his arm requiring stitches, the pigeons meanwhile remained entirely unconcerned.

That's the thing about taking things out on inanimate objects, they are often stronger than you. If you feel the urge again perhaps invest in a fat suit, or very large pillow first ! Hope the hand is ok :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Robbieswan

@thetower

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Robbieswan

17. Robbieswan

I just want it to go away. Ok.. you win.. Now do one

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great photo’s you must b so proud

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Robbieswan

Like you wouldn't believe. The people in the res shirts are the athletes that represent Wales from swansea harriers athletic club.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Robbieswan

Red shirts. My phone is dyslexic

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook