Feel harrassed by airline about pump

mcpound

Hi, has anyone had problems with an airline about their insulin pump?? We are flying to Oz in a few months with my 1 year old who is on a pump. Told Singapore airlines he was diabetic and have had 5 phone calls since, 1 a week, asking for every possible detail about his pump inc size, make and model number. Im starting to feel quite upset by it as I wonder are they leading up to stopping us boarding. I have just been told its for security reasons but do they ask the same questions about cameras, pacemakers or hearing aids etc. Is there any chance they can refuse to let us fly because of his age as a pump user?
Mcpound.x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to Singapore Airlines Special Assistance Section.
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/c ... 611918007&

As far as I am aware they have a good reputation for taking care of all travellers whether needing medical assistance or not ? Here are a couple of extracts from their fact sheets which show at least two valid reasons for their concerns and interest.

Generally, medical conditions should not inhibit you from flying. However, due to a cabin pressure equivalent to an atmospheric pressure at 5,000 to 7,000 feet altitude, special precautions are sometimes required. For more information, please also read the details below.......(see full info)

Medical Equipment
For flight safety reasons, Singapore Airlines will only accept electrical/electronics medical equipment for carriage upon approval. This is to ensure that the equipment does not interfere with the aircraft’s navigation and communication systems. Crew may direct that it be turned off if it is suspected to cause interference to the aircraft's systems.

Please inform us at the time of booking if you are travelling with medical equipment and obtain the necessary medical clearance unless indicated otherwise.

All self-powered medical devices are not accepted with exception of the following:
Portable Hearing aids
Heart pacemakers
Nebulizers
Continuous Positive Air Pressure (CPAP) machine (please see below for more details)
Portable Oxygen Concentrator (please see below for more details)

So I think that they are just making sure that the pump does not interfere with the planes systems and neither will it be damaged by the cabin pressure - seems fair enough to me ?? :D

jopar

flying with an insulin pump differ for each airline and country to a certain extent, and pumpers have different experiences..

In general most pumpers tend not to say anything as such to the airline they are flying with, they do take a letter from there clinic/consultant saying that it's a insulin pump etc that they have on them..

It seems that most just walk through, saying nothing particular about there pumps and answer question if asked, most don't get asked, some do but letter etc sorted...

It is probably because you've made the airline aware of your little ones pump, and with the hightened secuirty measure there are now, they aren't quite sure how to handle it, as in does it or doesn't it pose a security risk, and how is customs going to view it etc etc remember the airline itself doesn't oversee the local customs in any country... So they are covering all the bases they can think off as they crop up...

The good news for you, is that if for any reason you have a problem at customs on your journey, the airline has all the information to sort it out quickly... dont forget to get your cover letters for the pumps, supplies and insulin though...

Relax, remember to take your passports and enjoy your stay in Oz

mcpound

Thanks for your replys. I know they are just erring on the side of caution. I should have read that page myself on their website but I didnt come across it. Hopefully they have all the info they need.x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I have flown with Singapore Airlines and my pump, and have nothing but praise for them and the whole experience. Very comfortable, courteous and the food was more than just acceptable too. Surprised to hear you are getting the 3rd degree, the only thing they might get itchy about is CGM if you have it, this needs to be turned off in flight but that's the same with any airline.