feeling a bit low

avi

Dislikes
people who act like they are the diabetic police!!!
Hi
Having a bit of a feeling sorry for myself day today. Do you ever feel isolated and that no-one understands or just gets it. My daughter is 28 weeks pregnant and has to go for a glucose tolerance test this morning, which I am pleased obviously that they are doing, but it was the comment from the midwife that she should have this done as her mum is on an insulin pump and must have diabetes really bad with bad control! This coming from a health professional. Also isn't 28 weeks a bit late to be testing for diabetes, have no idea about diabetes and pregnancy.

Thanks
Avi

Funky Mum

Sorry you are feeling like this. People just don't think before opening their mouths sometimes :(

I don't know if its routine to test for Diabetes with a close family history, but I had a GTT towards the end of my last pregnancy because I had sugar in a wee sample. Turns out I had GD and went straight onto Insulin because I was so close to delivery.
Perhaps your daughter had sugar in hers.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were is that professional to say whether you have bad control or not? If I was there in person I'd have ate the face off her!

As for the timing of the test, I'm not female but I would hope that it is a routine test.

C

catherinecherub

Complaint time Avi.
What a rude, uneducated woman. People like this give the other caring, educated people in the Health Service a bad name. Console yourself with this, You can be what you want but she will always be ignorant.

Spearmint

avi said:
Hi
Having a bit of a feeling sorry for myself day today. Do you ever feel isolated and that no-one understands or just gets it.
Thanks
Avi

I feel like that a lot of the time

Hope the test goes well today for your daughter.
It was suggested by the GP that i should have a glucose tolerance test done with my 3rd pregnancy but my midwife disagreed as i was showing no symptoms at all, it was purely based on birth weights of my previous babies. She said if i wanted to she would book it but i agreed with her that there was no real need. I think that was at about 24 weeks. I remember having the odd trace of glucose in my urine sometimes with my 1st 2 but all urine tests with the 3rd were clear.

How nasty of that woman to say that to you :x