Feeling **** about my self all the time

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've been diabetic for 3 years now and I still can't cope I'm trying my hardest with it coping with everything I'm 20 so I'm still young and getting my head around it I inject about 5 to 6 times a day and I inject in my legs I try to move my sites but it hurts another thing I've always been really skinny but all of a sudden I've put weight on and I'm not use of that I'm scared what my partner thinks of me because I know I have changed he says he loves me and always be there for me but it's always in my head about what I feel about my self and sex relationship wise I can't do anything because of my legs and the pains I get dus anyone else feel the same or is it just me can anyone help me pleas I feel diabetes is ruling my life :(

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's ***** isn't it? And you will have ***** days and weeks of being a diabetic. But it is manageable and you can live as much a 'normal' life as any other person and that includes sex/relationships/partners. Nobody is perfect and regardless of what we do or don't have, we all just got to make the most of what we've got, change the things that we can and learn to accept the things we can't change. Love yourself, you're probably a beautiful person

Reactions: 13 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If your skinny why don't you use your bum cheeks instead of your legs?
It doesn't hurt in bum cheeks and less bleeds than legs and doesn't take 2 mins just to lower down waistband down a tad...

Yes, its hard to keep going with it but I can assure you it won't always feel this way.

It sounds as if your OH does listen to you and care enormously, but that its you that doesn't love yourself anymore. This is absolutely normal. Someone told me a while back that when I was diagnosed that I stopped loving myself and always thought of myself as "abnormal" and accepted 2nd best because I thought I didn't deserve better....it was very true in many ways....I didn't have internet 30+ years ago to realise that I was one diabetic from many.. I felt it was just me with this damned disease....

You're not the only one to feel *****.. Believe me. However, getting out of this ***** feeling is difficult.

The better you understand your diabetes and you controlling it, the more you will feel empowered and not disheartened.

You can still do the majority of everything that a non diabetic can do providing that you know how your body manages the treatment and foods.

You say you have pain? Is this related to diabetes or a separate illness?

How are your blood readings on a daily basis?

Reactions: 11 people

Jo81hanson

It can be hard to get your head around being diagnosed with diabetes. I was diagnosed when I was 15 and didn't really get my head around it till I was 29. I found it hard to ask for support and help because I thought my friends and family saw only the diabetes and not me the person. I rebelled a lot until I used a forum and found an outlet where no one judged.it still is hard at times so I tell myself diabetes is something I have not what I am xx

Reactions: 11 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi I've been diabetic for 3 years now and I still can't cope I'm trying my hardest with it coping with everything I'm 20 so I'm still young and getting my head around it I inject about 5 to 6 times a day and I inject in my legs I try to move my sites but it hurts another thing I've always been really skinny but all of a sudden I've put weight on and I'm not use of that I'm scared what my partner thinks of me because I know I have changed he says he loves me and always be there for me but it's always in my head about what I feel about my self and sex relationship wise I can't do anything because of my legs and the pains I get dus anyone else feel the same or is it just me can anyone help me pleas I feel diabetes is ruling my life :(
Hi @coralkay12
you're very brave coming here and sharing how you feel. It can be hard living with D 24/7 but you can do this and there are lots of great people here to offer support too. I inject about 5 times a day too and sometimes it really does hurt but do try to rotate your sites as much as possible.
I remember having real confidence issues too but most people are so concerned with themselves they are not looking at you in that much detail.
that must be you in the avatar and you have a lovely smile.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you're a girl post 1970, now if you were pre 1970, the sex symbol Marilyn Monroe was a size 16. and the earlier Venetian woman was painted nude because they couldn't find clothes to fit them :)

but, if you want to cut weight, you cut carbs which cuts insulin. A few T1's are doing LC/HigherFats for blood glucose control or to lose weight and a lot of t2 are using it
from the southport gp thread
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go in and out of this.. :/
Some days i don't even notice that I am checking and injecting and its just part of the day, i don't think twice and i feel totally normal. Other days i get really down about it, and start think 'why me?' "what does this mean for the rest of my life?' or i think about all the health problems linked to diabetes and start to feel really sad, or think I will die young, or get really sick or blah blah blah

I have no answer for you sadly. All i can say is what i say to myself:

"Matt (cause my name is Matt)" I say "Matt, there is nothing you can do but your best. Pressure makes diamonds" Then i try to drink something caffeinated because the energy always boosts my mood lol

But realistically:
- When you inject it hurts way less when you pinch and pull (they say you don't have to, but it hurts way less to me when i do) and then inject.
- Rotate sites when you think about, the love handles works great even if your skinny cause you can always pinch and pull up some fat.

I know what you mean relationship wise, its weird to think about, but if you put yourself in your partners shoes they only see the diabetes YOU present to them. So if you are sad, and down all the time and complain about it - then ya, they think its awful and it starts to get in the way, but if you check your BS, inject when you eat, and do you best to put it aside they won't even notice it and it can't get in the way. Everything is what you make it out to be.

You are not your diabetes.. Diabetes is just an the annoying dude who lives in the apartment below you, sure occasionally he bangs on your door to complain when you least expect it, sometimes you get his mail and have to drop it off and he yells at you, sometimes he goes on vacation and you don't hear from him in a week. He's just there and you can't stop the interjections, but you can decide how you react to them. Your mood won't change what is happening, so why be in a bad one? Just decide to be happy and then go be happy. It will get easier and easier!

Reactions: 24 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thank you xx
Woman you're stunning! Stop having such a downer on yourself and start counting your blessings! You have a partner who loves you too! If you're concerned about weight then low carb! Everybody has down days. Give yourself a pamper or treat yourself - doesn't have to be a big treat - a new lippy will do:) or a soppy film. Tomorrow is another day! Big hugsxxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You are still that beautiful you.. Injections don't change that.

I certainly got a better understanding of myself. Yep, I cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks asking "why me" and boy 30 years ago without the internet it did actually feel as if you were the only person with this damned disease....

However, after 6 weeks (I was married) I thought I am still me.. I'm still beautiful, I can't be a pilot but I can pretty much anything else I want to..most of all though my brain is the same.. I just need injections to keep me alive... So hey ho...

As a T1 you can still enjoy food, life and everything.. It is just getting that control to empower you to love yourself and not hate and fight the diabetes.

Sure, hiccups happen.. I almost lost my licence, I couldn't have children.. But these things are just hiccups and no matter what happens there are ways around things...

Make the most of your beautiful self. Life's too short to be anxious or depressed about diabetes. Every thought hating it is a wasted thought when you could be thinking I'm gonna enjoy my life..

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I concur with the other members, sending (((((((( HUGS )))))))))

RRB x

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Can't say I am over the moon about injecting all the time but I just have to deal with it. Most diabetics feel **** about their diabetes especially if it is a strict insulin regime. Take care coralkay and try not to dwell on things.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
"Matt (cause my name is Matt)" I say "Matt, there is nothing you can do but your best. Pressure makes diamonds" Then i try to drink something caffeinated because the energy always boosts my mood lol

This really made me laugh! :D

... Hopefully it did you too @coralkay12 sweetie - as all the others have said: we all have days like this... Goodness - I go through very low patches... But as a couple of others have said, that's a time to be really nurturing to yourself: I tend to need to be by myself to 'bounce back' - so baths, walks, cooking, reading, yoga & films all help me to just take a step back and remember to breathe again. You'll have different things that work for you - figuring out what they are, then taking time to actually do them are the important bit. Plus coming on here is always a good starting point too - this lot are aces :)

Hope you're feeling a bit better today xx

Reactions: 8 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
anyone else feel the same or is it just me can anyone help me pleas I feel diabetes is ruling my life :(

It is something you have to learn to do, like walking or talking, but you will feel that it is unfair because few or none of your mates have to do it. Why me? is normal for someone so young. But many people do learn to live with it, just read about their experiences on this forum. Some are very fit and active and, as far as I can see, having a great time. Your life takes a slightly different path than that of your friends and although it seems like a major difference now, it is only a very small difference when you consider what some poor souls have thrust upon them. Even so called normal people end up having to cope with life's difficulties at some point, divorce, redundancy. Few people have a smooth ride for their entire life. You can control your misfortune. Seek out the good news stories on this forum.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Looking on it from a positive angle, you get far regular checks than people that "think" that they are healthy... They don't find out they have cholesterol, bad livers etc until something majorly strikes them to make them feel ****. We get ours done routinely and you can look after yourself better than the supposed healthy people.

And on another positive note... We cost the NHS a lot to keep us alive and healthy with the checks we get, so why not make the most of living that life that we had got to the fullest.

Many people don't get monitored etc, they put on excess weight etc etc... You have an advance warning to look after yourself and that again can be seen as a positive.

There's nothing wrong with us beautiful people being in this exclusive club...

Reactions: 6 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi Coralkay,

A while ago I wrote a letter to a friend's daughter who had just been diagnosed and finding things tough - I'll paste that below because it is genuinely how I feel about this. I don't know if she is a member here but I hope she won't mind if she is; names/details have been removed.

The short version is that diabetes is a pain in the neck (or leg in your case...) but you can take control of it and you can cope.

Also, it's written to a slightly younger girl than you so the tone is different to how I'd write to you.

I hope you don't mind a bit of recycling!

Best

Dillinger

I know we don't really know each other and it's slightly weird having someone you don't know talk about health matters but I thought it might be of some help to share some of the things that have occurred to me over the years about this condition.

I've been a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic since I was 10. On diagnosis I was very ill with ketoacidosis and was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. The last thing I remembered about that was thinking 'cool, I'm in an ambulance with the sirens on.' I obviously wasn't a smart kid...

There are a large number of ways of dealing with diabetes but before you can start taking care of yourself as a diabetic there is a crucial thing you have to do; and that is come to terms with being a diabetic. Easier said than done of course.

Possibly this doesn't apply to you and you already are coping with it all but it is completely normal and understandable to be raging against your luck and raging against this condition.

Unfortunately, it will do you no better than raging against gravity when you are stuck up a tree. You and I are members of a club that no one wants to join. What can we do about it? Well a number of things; we can ignore it (but it won’t ignore us) or we can get obsessive about it and let it rule our lives (I’d advise against that) or we can take control of the *******, figure it out, and live pretty much completely normal lives. I often think of diabetes in terms of walking down the street with sunglasses on on a grey day; you think everyone is looking at you because the glasses are so noticeable to you, in fact no one even sees you. You’ll think you’ll have a huge flashing light above your head going ‘DIABETIC’ but no-one will notice and if they do it won’t be much of a big deal. The fact that you have diabetes isn’t going to stop you doing anything you want to as long as you meet the first and greatest challenge; deal with the difficult fact that you are a diabetic.

I don’t think it’s worth waiting for cures or miracles either; ever since I've been diagnosed I've heard talk of cures for diabetes being 10 years away. I'm pleased to have just read a recent article about the promise of an artificial pancreas which should be ready, in accordance with form, in about 10 years. I realised pretty early on that holding out for that sort of thing is a waste of time and probably makes it harder to deal with your diabetes. After all; if this is all going to be taken care of in a few years why bother with the day to day now?

How you deal with this first great test is down to you and your family and friends; but talk about it rage about it, write letters to your diabetes (which sounds monumentally corny; but does work – once you express something in a coherent way half the power of it is gone).

I know of people who never get over having diabetes and as a consequence their control never improves and that can quickly lead to complications. This is one of the very annoying things about diabetes; it will let you mess around with it for ages and all will appear well, but then one day you will be told that you have progressive irreversible complications which no matter the pains you take to get things together cannot be undone. That is a scary thought; it scares me and it means that diabetes is the hardest of task masters as it will give you the test first and the lesson later.

So, all that aside what do you need to do now? First of all you’ve got to educate yourself about diabetes.

I would suggest that you sign up at the diabetic forum at www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/ – there is a lot of info on there and it is good to talk to other people in your position (albeit anonymously). Also it is a great place to ask questions as they rarely go unanswered. I post on there occasionally and have learnt a lot.

Buy the books ‘Think Like A Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. This is aimed at the US market but it is very helpful. Also buy the most recent edition of ‘Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution’ this is also very useful although slightly more controversial and aimed at the US market as well (the Bernstein method to controlling diabetes is the approach I take for what it’s worth). Lastly there is a book called ‘Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl which is also very handy.

You should also request, demand, stamp your feet about going on a DAFNE course; this should be provided by your diabetic clinic. This will teach you how to balance what your insulin dosage to your carbohydrate consumption – this is the foundation of diabetic control and I’m pretty astonished that so many diabetics don’t get taught this.

The short version is that your blood sugar will be increased by three things; what you eat, what your liver is doing and by hormones/stress/illness. It will be brought down by insulin and exercise.

I would imagine that you are on a basal/bolus regime – meaning long acting insulin to act as a ‘background’ and short acting to cover what you eat. The rule of thumb is that 1 unit of short acting insulin covers 10 grams of carbohydrate; but that needs to be tested and changed until you get your ratios correctly identified (mine are quite different from that). If you are not on that sort of regime but are instead on once or twice daily injections I’d push to get onto a basal/bolus regime as quickly as you can; this means you control your insulin to cover what you are doing and you are not having to eat to match your insulin.

Carb counting and insulin adjustment can seem a bit daunting but there are lots of iPhone apps that will tell you carb contents of food (I use one called MyFitnessPal which is pretty good as it has a huge database of food and is fairly, although not completely, reliable). It’s also free. If you want to go old school the Collins Little Gem Calorie and Carb counter is pretty good; although slightly puzzlingly set out.

There are lots of different blood testing machines out there and I use one called the ‘FreeStyle InsuLinx’ (as you’ll learn most diabetic things have absolutely preposterous names…) this I find particularly useful as it will calculate your insulin dose for you; you put in how many carbs you are about to eat and (once you’ve set it up with your current carb/insulin ratio) it’ll tell you how much short acting insulin to take by taking into account your current blood sugar levels and active insulin from previous meals (if any).

You may be eligible for an insulin pump due to your age; I would be on one if I could but I’m not within the NICE criteria for having one prescribed. Possibly that may freak you out; but worth having a think about.

Lastly, I would suggest that per the Bernstein book you try and avoid eating any white starchy foods and fruits (especially fruit juice); meaning bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, porridge and so on. These things are the ones that shoot your blood sugar up and even with very careful carb counting and dose adjustment it’s hard to balance your blood sugars whilst eating them. Ignore all that stuff about fats being bad for you; this is categorically not the case if you are a diabetic; have bacon and eggs for breakfast just like your grandparents would have.

Good luck with this; I’m more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Soon you will be more educated about diabetes than your diabetic nurse, then in a year or two more than your GP and after a few years more than your consultant. It’s a horrible old cliché but knowledge really is power here and once you have that knowledge diabetes will be no more of a hassle to you than brushing your teeth.

Best

Reactions: 18 people

Shaolindan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand how you feel. It, the elephant in the room, can make you feel really low and *****, at other times angry and short with the world. I was diagnosed at 17.
I went to the GP and told him I wasn't sleeping well as I kept waking up to pee. He tested my sugars which were 32 and told me to go home home and pack a bag to go to the hospital. Long story short, I was admitted and 'fixed'. When I was discharged, I had a talk with a diabetes nurse who was very helpful. She even put the syringe into her own leg to show that it 'didn't really hurt'. However I was quite shocked when I asked how long did I need to take the medicine before I was better, to be told - forever.

I mostly agree with the letter above, from Dillinger. I was lucky enough two years ago to go on the DAFNE repose trial at Kings college hospital. Essentially this is a medical trial to see if the DAFNE education course is more effective if done in conjunction with an insulin pump. So I not only got to do the DAFNE course but got an insulin pump too! The pump is great and if you can get the funding from your diabetic unit, do get one, However the big thing is DAFNE. That stands for Dose Adjusted For Normal Eating. Essentially when you have a working pancreas that produces insulin - the body monitors your blood sugar and when it rises it release insulin - and when it drops it stops, when it gets very low it releases glucose from the liver. As a diabetic, you body doesn't manage that so well. DAFNE teaches you how to carb count - so that you can predict how much your blood sugar will raise by what you eat and therefore take the correct amount of insulin to counter that. As a consequence you can keep your blood sugars to a 'ripple rather than a wave'.

More than anything, your emotions are affected by high and low sugars. If you can avoid these spikes, you can keep your head space clear.

With regards to your weight, I agree with the low carb approach. Keeping your portions the same but reducing the amount of carbs in your meal and therefore the amount of insulin you need to take will take the weight off in no time.

I hope it helps to know you aren't alone with this or this feeling. It will get better. Good luck.

lizjon78

Honey - don't despair we all have problems with this from time to time - have you tried injecting into your stomach under, around and over the top of your belly button? I took this advice from a specialist and I have found it to be the best site and the least painful. Kind regards John