Feeling depressed

Christian Boy

Dislikes
My job, my home.
How difficult is it to deal with depressive times relating to diabeties and related effects.

Is it just me or are there others that feel so fed up, don't know what to do about it?

Martin.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Martin

Depression is very difficult to deal with as it takes away your zest for life. I find that a walk in the countryside or getting lost in a good book does help. At my worst I had to seek help from the doctor and she temporarily put me on some tablets. My husband suffers from bi-polar and when he is down nothing can lift his spirits but thankfully he comes out of it after about three months.

Even if you don't feel like talking it does help to take your mind to another place and help you to get better.

Chin up
Regards Val

KimSuzanne

Its not just you I get those days more so recently - I can normally pull myself out of them but just lately I can't. Maybe its all my friends getting married and having babies - somehow the diabetes is always the point it leads back to though.
I always think get a grip there are others worse off but then I think there is no light at the end of the tunnel I've got this forever and somehow we all keep mudding through

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello Martin,

Despite my best efforts, I'm afraid this post may contain a Rocky Balboa Quotation. :shock:

"Let me tell you something you already know.
The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place
and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.
But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done"

donnamum

Don't be afraid to ask for help and suport.

My daughter has been refered to mental health team to help he come to terms with diagnosis.

We have had such a difficult year, I am of to family councelling. The family arn't coming I want some time away from them all.

Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids. ~Sam Levenson

Good Luck, hope you feel better soon.

Donna

lionrampant

/me proudly taps his stiff upper lip.

Would you people just be British already. :p

Christian Boy said:
How difficult is it to deal with depressive times relating to diabeties and related effects.

Is it just me or are there others that feel so fed up, don't know what to do about it?

Martin.

We all get fed up man. Just learn to accept it's not going to be perfect 100% of the time and you'll feel better.

Annikam

When I first got diagnosed I did feel very down in the dumps. It wasnt until I watched a programme about a young lad, it was called "The boy whose skin fell off" and the poor little chap planned his own funeral!! i know what we have is very nasty, but just remember... there is always someone worse off than you! I just think of that poor little boy every time I get low.

What might be able to help you is a course called DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) It is brilliant! You learn how to Carbohydrate count then adjust your insulin accordingly. You can eat anything! Honestly, I had 3 cream cakes in one day on the last day of the course, counted the carbs, adjusted the insulin, and away I went. I checked my sugar levels later that evening and they was below 6.0. Ask your doctor about the course. It is free to go on but there is a long long waiting list. But it is well worth the wait! It has turned my life around! The course has made me feel "normal" again!

Try not to let it get you down! Easier said than done I know!

I hope you can come to terms with it, once you do... You will realise its not all that bad!!!

xxx

:D

millie

I have been very depressed since i have been diognosed. i really wish i did not have it, i get angry very easily. :evil:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I do get so depressed too. At the moment I'm so depressed that any little thing will start me crying. then another day I'll be so angry that I snap at people for nothing! These 'moods' do go away eventuall y and I'm okay for a few weeks/months but it always comes back.
I let anything depress me. I bought a new laptop as I wanted access to sites like this and help cheer me up (+ photography) but I let every little problem with it grow out of proportion. It's as though it's going to break down every occasion I have to use the security programme on it.
I know I really must look at the good things in life but I can't. Going on holiday in a week and have a lot of good things planned but even that doesn't help. :cry:

bubbles1

everyone everywhere gets depressed at times not just us diabetics. Instead of looking at it as a problem refer to this as a challenge!

on this site we have a chance to help others by sharing knowledge and experience, it is hard, we do understand but whatever you are faced with in life health, work, relationships its the way you look at things which can make the difference in your overall mental attitude.

I can only say this myself at the moment because at the grand old age of 39 ive just had my second heart attack. If I dont look at life with positive mental attitude what have I got? I am gona be asking questions im still getting my head around this but whatever happens be positive within yourself. Good luck x :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My husband suffered from depression for four years after his stroke until they finally found an antidepressant that worked for him.We all have our 'black' days but if I didn't have my sense of humour I would be a basket case!!None of us wants diabetes but we've got it and can't give it back! On reflection I'd rather have a disease like diabetes which I can control than some of the other 'nasties' lurking out there to get us.
Find something to laugh about every day (come on here ,there's always something to make you chuckle on here! :lol: ) Talk about it ,don't bottle it up.We're here to help,we understand because we've all been there.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have downgraded diabetes to "mere nuisance," I will not allow it to rule my life. I've got used to eating low carb and it now comes naturally, even if I slip up occasionally. and I am in control of this. It is NOT in control of me. I have the same attitude to housework. "This house is my servant NOT my master, so if it's untidy. I don't care, and if you do, then you don't have to visit.
It's taken me a lifetime to gain this much confidence. I'm now over 60. I don't say things might not have been different if things had happened when I was younger, but I survived infertility testing and that's depressing, whilst watching people, who didn't want them, having babies. I eventually got one by adoption, who is a better daughter than many young folks I know.
I do believe in "a pattern". I can't define it more closely. Some things are meant to be, but " pray to God and keep your powder dry" not "it's my fate and I can't change it"

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Love your attitude to housework ,hanadr!! :lol: :lol: I feel much the same!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I'm happy to say that things are looking so much brighter for me the last couple of days. The black mood seems to have lifted enough for me to start counting my blessings..... I have a home, job, friends (few but good ones), health (reasonable) and the money to be able to do things i like doing. These are little things like watching wildlife, reading a good book, listening to music and chatting on sites like this. Just take one day at a time and things really do improve given time. :mrgreen: