Feeling down! Just a little rant!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, at the beginning of this week, I was told that I have suspected carpal tunnel and a vitamin d deficiency that I'll have to take tablets for for the rest of my life. I'm suffering with bloody annoying hayfever and now I have toothache!! Argh when will it end!?!?! Hba1c is at 72% so not too good either. Does any one else suffer days where they feel everything is just getting on top of them?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
So, at the beginning of this week, I was told that I have suspected carpal tunnel and a vitamin d deficiency that I'll have to take tablets for for the rest of my life. I'm suffering with bloody annoying hayfever and now I have toothache!! Argh when will it end!?!?! Hba1c is at 72% so not too good either. Does any one else suffer days where they feel everything is just getting on top of them?

Yes! Life is a roller coaster of emotions and then we have a serious illness on top! At least you now know what the problem is and can now deal. That's the beauty of the forum - there's always someone there to give support! Big hug!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I just feel so overwhelmed and to be fair the problems are only quite small in the grand scale if things that could go wrong. My diabetes has never ruled my life until lately. It just seems I can't get things right.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thank you. I just feel so overwhelmed and to be fair the problems are only quite small in the grand scale if things that could go wrong. My diabetes has never ruled my life until lately. It just seems I can't get things right.

Well the whole point of the forum is to offer support and help if wanted. There are days when I've felt overwhelmed and days when I've been over the moon. What's not going right?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Aaawww Emma, we all feel like that sometimes. I think most of us would understand only too well what you are going through. I hope things in your life start to get better for you real soon, take care.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well the whole point of the forum is to offer support and help if wanted. There are days when I've felt overwhelmed and days when I've been over the moon. What's not going right?
I have days where I'm completely motivated to sort out my blood sugars, then I slip straight back into bad habits. I just seem to sabotage myself at every opportunity and don't know why. It sounds a ridiculous thing when I've had it for 18 years.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Just out of interest what does your carpal tunnel feel like? I get numbness in my thumbs and first 2 fingers when cycling sometimes and I think it is the way my hands grip the handlebars. As soon as I stop it goes away so was wondering if carpal tunnel only affects you at certain times or if it is always there? My dad also suffered from it when he was alive as well. I don't believe it is neuropathy as they are fine the rest of the time.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...

Hi Emma,
The good news/bad news is that everything you describe may be interconnected as all may be related to inflammatory responses to overuse (carpal tunnel), environment (hayfever), stress/infection (toothache).

This may be partly a consequence of suboptimal BG control exaggerating inflammatory mechanisms or on the other hand recent changes in your mental/physical stress levels etc may be impacting your insulin requirements due to the underlying inflammation/stress triggers. Maybe recalibrate your insulin needs a bit higher while you are experiencing all the above?

Re vitamin D, the gold standard treatment is stiil exposure to sunlight - if you're fair skinned certainly UK summertime exposure to sunlight/bright days for say 1 hour a day (restrict sunblock to your face) can do as much if not a lot more than supplements. If you take a supplement make sure it is the D3 oil capsule version.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of interest what does your carpal tunnel feel like? I get numbness in my thumbs and first 2 fingers when cycling sometimes and I think it is the way my hands grip the handlebars. As soon as I stop it goes away so was wondering if carpal tunnel only affects you at certain times or if it is always there? My dad also suffered from it when he was alive as well. I don't believe it is neuropathy as they are fine the rest of the time.
I don't feel it constantly. But I get a sense of clumsiness in my hands and tingling thumb and first two fingers. It's more prominent in my right hand and it comes and goes.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Emma,
The good news/bad news is that everything you describe may be interconnected as all may be related to inflammatory responses to overuse (carpal tunnel), environment (hayfever), stress/infection (toothache).

This may be partly a consequence of suboptimal BG control exaggerating inflammatory mechanisms or on the other hand recent changes in your mental/physical stress levels etc may be impacting your insulin requirements due to the underlying inflammation/stress triggers. Maybe recalibrate your insulin needs a bit higher while you are experiencing all the above?

Re vitamin D, the gold standard treatment is stiil exposure to sunlight - if you're fair skinned certainly UK summertime exposure to sunlight/bright days for say 1 hour a day (restrict sunblock to your face) can do as much if not a lot more than supplements. If you take a supplement make sure it is the D3 oil capsule version.
Yes I think I seem to notice these things when my blood sugars are runnin a little higher. Although with the warm weather my blood sugars are prone to dropping quickly so I've deliberately kept them around 8-9. And I'm on the Pro d3 400iu supplements

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Uhmm, keeping bg to 8 to 9 seems a little on the high side to me. Perhaps start aiming a little lower says in the 6s. Please have a look at www.bloodsugar101.com (I know I'm a repeating record on this site).

And yes, we all experience highs and lows. If only it were just the good days eh. Still we can only deal with one day at a time. So if today is a bad day, write it off and work on tomorrow. :)

You are not alone, trust me!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I know I'm not at work, I keep my blood sugars within a normal range. However, if I'm at work I can drop so quickly. In half an hour today I dropped from 6.8 to 2.1 so I keep my blood sugars between 8-9 to allow for the dramatic drops. I have a very small amount of basal insulin at work too so that's not the problem with dropping blood sugars.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh, okay, my bad. I'm a T2 and clearly don't know much about T1, my apologies :)

Your're still not alone though :)

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coke a cola anything too sweet an anything with dairy in as lactose intolerant

Sent from the Diabetes Foru
I have days where I'm completely motivated to sort out my blood sugars, then I slip straight back into bad habits. I just seem to sabotage myself at every opportunity and don't know why. It sounds a ridiculous thing when I've had it for 18 years.

God I can relate with u there!! tht is how I feel lol an I av had it for 17 years so I shud know better but its so hard sometimes to get urself our of that rut

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
If I know I'm not at work, I keep my blood sugars within a normal range. However, if I'm at work I can drop so quickly. In half an hour today I dropped from 6.8 to 2.1 so I keep my blood sugars between 8-9 to allow for the dramatic drops. I have a very small amount of basal insulin at work too so that's not the problem with dropping blood sugars.

Hey Emma,

Am so with you on your rant ! Have had my fair share of highs and lows too, it's all about balance and keeping it on an even keel. I think running high also causes depression, more glucose in blood therefore running slower. I used to run high at work for the same reason, now I've switched to low carb I don't have to run high, as I'm taking less insulin, have you tried this ? Do you know your bloods are dropping ? Just see this as a blip, it will come right again, just use this as an opportunity to fine tune and adjust ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't know where to start with a low carb diet. I'm guilty of having a high carb diet I'm afraid lol. I feel my bloods dropping but as a I work in huge shop I have to rush upstairs to get something as sweets aren't allowed on shop floor so that means the rushing makes it drop more. I feel a little more positive today.

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh, okay, my bad. I'm a T2 and clearly don't know much about T1, my apologies :)

Your're still not alone though :)
I have to say that although the site you posted 'gfmoore' was very interesting..being fairly newly diagnosed i found it very overwhelming and frightening. As a type 1 you can't cut out carbs completely well I can't anyway as I start to get ketones building up. Although I think some of the advice is correct about increased risks your a lot more limited to what you can do as a type 1. Sorry wasn't a dig it's just sometimes it's hard to take in and we just need to take an approach of what's good enough for the moment and the. Work towards realistic goals otherwise we end up scared stiff all the time. All the best Louise

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate what you are saying. I didn't take anything about what you said in a bad way. Clearly having type 1 is a whole different battle to what I have and I'm sorry that I didn't understand where you were at at.

Have you read Dr Bernstein's book? He is very inspirational having had Type 1 nearly all his life. He's now a billion years old and he really knows how to explain things, especially for people on insulin, but also for type 2s. His book is maybe a little pricey perhaps, but I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Hopefully other Type 1s may have some better suggestions for you.

all my best

G

Mad hatter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate what you are saying. I didn't take anything about what you said in a bad way. Clearly having type 1 is a whole different battle to what I have and I'm sorry that I didn't understand where you were at at.

Have you read Dr Bernstein's book? He is very inspirational having had Type 1 nearly all his life. He's now a billion years old and he really knows how to explain things, especially for people on insulin, but also for type 2s. His book is maybe a little pricey perhaps, but I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Hopefully other Type 1s may have some better suggestions for you.

all my best

G
Thanks gfmoore I'll look that book up! All the best louise

Kelsie

You will feel pain most when your narrowing the medial tunnel of the wrist I.e when your holding the handle bars and yes causes tingliness in the thumb, index, middle and ring finger. It is a very aggravating injury unfortunately but symptoms can decrease with rehabilitation