Feeling Down

alyssarose

I've been diabetic for 2 months, and of course at the start, I would expect people to fuss over me. Now I just feel like crying every time someone says something that is remotely related to diabetes. I don't want any sympathy. I just want to get on with things like normal people do and i'm finding it really hard to adjust. Sometimes I feel like not getting up in the morning so as to avoid people asking if i'm alright and if I need or want anything. I'm so sick of it that I cry with the snap of the fingers.

Although I am wondering if it's because i'm a teenager.

Does anyone else feel like this?

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Hi Alyssarose

You are not the only one to feel like this - I am a woman in my forties, diagnosed T2 in March 2013 and there are definitely days I don't want to get out of bed either and deal with this disease - and I only have to take tablets - you have the "fun" of injecting. But my husband usually makes me laugh during the day or I go and look at LolCats to cheer myself up and it works most of the time.
(I think my diagnosis was almost as big a shock for him as it was for me - it is probably the same for family and friends - more so if they have not had prior contact with anyone who is diabetic). Hang in there - remember some days will be bad days, diabetes or not not.
Very Pretty Name though - wish I had a name like that! :)

Eater of Ants

faeoj

everyone feels like this sometimes! if your newly diagnosed remember this is a shock to everyone around you as well and it's hard for them to adjust! the sooner you come to terms that you are diabetic and this won't go away overnight the easier it will get! trust me it does get easier. it starts to become more natural so people don't mention it as much! I'm nearly 21 and must have one of term days at least once a month haha being a teenager is hard work...let me know if you want a chat I'm always here :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Emily26

I feel this way a lot too. I got diagnosed 2 years ago and people (mostly my parents) still make a big deal about it. I tell them all the time to just treat me normally, but they keep fussing over me. I know that their my parents and their just trying to look out for me, sometimes it's just too much. When I was first diagnosed I don't remember being really sad about it, because I didn't really know what was happening. But as time went on I got sadder and sadder until every single night I would get so depressed I would cry. I put bad thoughts into my mind, like, why me? I didn't do anything! Why couldn't it of been someone else? Why do I deserve this? And at this moment I can't tell you, I've stopped doing that, because that would be a lie, I still get fed up and cry when nobodies around. I think sometimes, crying helps. But I do know that we are not alone, we're never alone. There's always going to be people to talk to. We just have to keep our head up and be strong.

K

Kat100

Emotions do and can go up and down.....so much to cope with.....it's not easy....but I try to do nice things for myself and do nice things.....I even bake cakes as treats no sugar ones using xylitol then I don't feel lft out.....
Stay positive and strong

Matilda14919

When I was diagnosed I pretended for a whole week that it wasn't real - then the fussing started my friends treated me differently and crying was my only option but I strive through all that now I'm 23 living with diabetes for 9yrs it gets easier - people tend to forget I'm diabetic now

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi :) don't worry the feeling down Is pretty normal! Different people have different opinions and feelings towards diabetes including diabetics! I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 7 just a few short days before Christmas! It was the nicest present as u can imagine! However the longer you have diabetes te more u understand it.
I hated it when I was first diagnosed and I lost alto of 'friends' however I decided to embrace it and I have done some remarkable things :) don't let your diabetes stop you from doing anything you wish to :)
I wet on a camping holiday to Switzerland with 35 other people! I have been camping in the Lake District! I've climbed one large cliff! I've climbed a mountain in Switzerland that is higher that neverest :)
At the age of 13 I did an inspire challenge and swam the same length as the English Channel!
I won't lye - I still have days where I wish I wasn't diabetic and days when I wake up and I just want to stay in bed however IT DOES GET EASIER! Embrace your diabetes and achieve what you want :) Becky x