Feeling lonely

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Im feeling so lonely with diabetes. I don't have any friends. I don't know anybody in rl who is diabetic too.(I really love my parents, but they sometimes dont understand me). I doesn't happen all the time, but I often feel lonely and unconfident, especially when there's any longer break from school like vacations or Christmas.
I like surfing the internet, that lets me forget about problems(like every kind of entertainment). Hope I'll get more confident and happier in new school. Maybe I am doing something wrong, maybe I'm too shy?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi @Michik welcome, have you tried going onto type 1 forum and posting or perhaps post on young people/adults forum. Don't give up hope, there are lots of young people on here who are in a similar position to yourself but they may not have noticed your post yet. Hope a type 1 young person answers you soon but know, you are not alone in your fight. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All I would like to say is you are you and not defined by your type 1 diabetes. Yes it is something you have tto live with and cope with but it should not stop you going out with your friends. Why not take up a hobby and get out with other people that are like minded.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Michik
even without knowing you I know you are a lovely person because of the strength of emotion in your post.
what can we do here to help you with confidence ?? -- have you tried the young adults section of the forum ?

i am tagging @becky.ford93 -- she is a nice young peep who may be able to offer some support.
also tagging @Miriamenily who is fairly new to the forum but may be able to give you some help / encouragement

keep posting too !!
all the best

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Michik my heart goes out to you . My daughter had ulcerative colitis at school and felt isolated . She's now 22 and after years of illness and surgery has found her way in the world. It took her a long time though .
I'm sure there are other people with diabetes in your school and you know what they are probably feeling exactly the same as you .

How about speaking to your guidance teacher and giving them permission to tell others people with diabetes that you have it too. Have you joined the young diabetic uk thing ? You might find a meeting close to you .

Reactions: 3 people

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for hugs.
I mean, Im trying to have good contact with people in school but after that I dont meet with them(ones are just about parties and being high, other has gf...)
Teachers know about my diabetes. There are only 2 people with diabetes in school(I only saw 2 glucagons in school nurse): me and other girl.
I am from Poland.

I havent tried any hobbies yet. Im good at physics and maths. Maybe some kind of sports but as I said, Im maybe too shy and something blocks me in my mind(?).

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well physics and maths are my thing too and wasn't really sociable with others when I was younger. I used to fence and sail though so that always got me out. I understand the shyness as well, I still exhibit that at times and have to force myself passed it. Doing more will give you the confidence. You do not have to do team events.

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont like doing team events. I dont like working in teams. Teammates(ofc in school) are just slower than me, I am maybe gifted and I have no problem with studying.

Maybe I should start working out on the gym? It should give me more confidence but im discouraged because of my parents and Im not about to do that.

I only hate being asked by others about diabetes. They dont have to know about it but last time I was in school with mate and went to canteen for the tea cup(winter holidays) and I got the roll with ham. I already ate something in house and took insulin but I didnt have anything with me so I gave him the roll and he asked if I couldnt eat that. People only want to know, but I dont like it(I think most of us agree with that).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Michik , you are a normal teenager with normal anxieties about appearing different. My daughter was exactly the same .
My daughter used to spend her life on Harry Potter fan fiction sites ( she loved reading ). If you are lonely then you have to push yourself to get out there . Are there clubs etc that interests you ?

Miriamenily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Heyy :) I've been tagged in your post. You can feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk. I tried to send you one but it won't let me. Or hit me up on Facebook under Miriam Emily dawson

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Heyy :) I've been tagged in your post. You can feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk. I tried to send you one but it won't let me. Or hit me up on Facebook under Miriam Emily dawson
I think you have to have 16 posts before you can send a pm, so as that was your 16th you should be able to pm now.
@Michik being a teenager is difficult enough without the added complications of diabetes. Us oldies understand what you are going through and send you our support. There is another 16 year old T1 on here, @Dana_Heath who has a thread 'my 10 year story' (you can search for it in the success stories and testimonials' thread. She also writes a blog.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Michik at the age of 9 I taught myself how to solve simultaneous and quadratic equations and at the age of 10 I was doing all manner of other mathematical wonders. At 13 I designed a 4 digit mathematical algorithm that would allow me to calculate large number arithmetic very quickly which was later developed into a forth library. At the age of 15 I designed and built my first computer from discrete digital components.

At 20 I discovered girls (yeah I know I'm slow)! It was only at this point I became more sociable, still love my maths, science and computers and spend most of my time on these pursuits. All those unsociable hours allowed me to focus on my future complete a degree, get a PhD and end up with a wonderful family.

Life changes, grab what is great at the time and change what you do not like. Just because you are not quite like everyone else does not mean it isnt going to be great for you as you develop.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Michik at the age of 9 I taught myself how to solve simultaneous and quadratic equations and at the age of 10 I was doing all manner of other mathematical wonders. At 13 I designed a 4 digit mathematical algorithm that would allow me to calculate large number arithmetic very quickly which was later developed into a forth library. At the age of 15 I designed and built my first computer from discrete digital components.

At 20 I discovered girls (yeah I know I'm slow)! It was only at this point I became more sociable, still love my maths, science and computers and spend most of my time on these pursuits. All those unsociable hours allowed me to focus on my future complete a degree, get a PhD and end up with a wonderful family.

Life changes, grab what is great at the time and change what you do not like. Just because you are not quite like everyone else does not mean it isnt going to be great for you as you develop.

Wow Andrew that's amazing .

Michikl you are like everyone else but have added bits which make you unique . Just like the girl who can design clothes or the boy who can cook etc are unique with their talents .

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Michik, how are you feeling this weekend?

It's good that you are here on the forum asking for support and reading the posts. It really does help because you realise that you aren't struggling on your own and that other people find it tough going too.

I'm a teacher and two of my pupils (11 and 15) are T1. They find it very difficult but once they found out I was T1 they felt normal and. Honestly, any concerns or want a rant just drop a message!

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Wow, Im good at those subjects which means that I dont have problem with them in school. I tried doing something harder than what I learn in school but I discouraged after I failed maths and physics competition. Now I only treat these like other school's subjects.

How do I feel rn? A bit better with yours mental support but still tired and lonely(I always feel tired and lazy and dont know its either caused by hypo/hyper or for real)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
How do I feel rn? A bit better with yours mental support but still tired and lonely(I always feel tired and lazy and dont know its either caused by hypo/hyper or for real)

only way to know for sure is to test your blood sugar
below 4.0 and you will be getting hypo symptoms
above 10 and you are heading the wrong direction :(

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
only way to know for sure is to test your blood sugar
below 4.0 and you will be getting hypo symptoms
above 10 and you are heading the wrong direction :(
I know but my results are in mg/dl

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
to convert mmol/l to mg/dl just multiply by 18

Michik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Andrew Colvin I like maths and physics in that way that I dont have any problems with it. I dont even know what I will do in the future.
School in PL is different compared to British one so for now I stay in my school and choose maths, physics and english as extended subjects to pass them in the exams at the end of the secondary school/high school.
And yes, I think that I wont meet with any girl in high school because of my apperance.
And I like to hide my feelings in myself, not to tell about them to known person.