Feeling Lost!

Virginia

Hi there,I was diagnosed with Type 2 in January this year.I also have Fibromyalgia,Small fibre and Autonomic Neuropathy and Arachnoiditis caused by the Myodil oil based dye which was banned in the States in 1970 but not here till 87,it affects the Myelin sheaths and the dye has set like cement in my Lumbar spine and at the base of my skull.I take Metformin once a day,my other Meds are Pregabalin,Cymbalta,Pindalol,Ramapril,Atorvastatin,Asprin and Co Codamol which helps me to get some sleep as I dont sleep well at night because of the pain and cramp in my feet and legs.My question is I'm not sure what to do now because of my visit last week to the Neurologist,when I had an MRI on my neckbecause he thinks I have Cervical Myelopathy.At the end of my appointment he explained he didn't need me to see him again and to double my Pregabalin and that from now on I would be in my GP hands.Incidentally he put my 24/7 sweating down to the Menapause,even though I'm 62 and had a Hysterectomy when I was 38!!I take 2 showers a day and have to change the bedsheets at least twice a week,I haven't worn a sweater or winter coat for 17 years.When I asked my GP about the sweating his reply was "Oh I had a pal at uni a big rugby player always had sweaty hands"!!He also told me 6 years ago that the pain I'd started getting in my toes and tingling was Gout.I went to the Diabetic clinic once in March and was told I was keeping my numbers acceptable and I needn't go again,just see the Practice Nurse at my GPs.I haven't been tested since and was told I'd probably be sent for in another 6 months,I was also told I didn't need a meter to test myself and was given a leaflet to read about food,which I had to return because they hadn't got many!I'm just so confused and don't understand why I'm not under anyone but my GP I know I have high BP hence my Beta blockers which I've been taking for 15 years now,but only have my Blood Pressure taken Twice a year.I've been reading up as much as I can on this site,which has been a big help,I'm using my "common sense" with food,even though I have to lose 3 stone!!But I keep hearing how important it is to know your numbers and I can't do that.My friends say I should change my GP but we have to be in a catchment area and we're also hoping to move in the next 18 months if my hubby can retire.I just feel so isolated,I can't get out of the house except on Saturday when Richard(hubby)is not at work and I just find myself in tears all the time,I used to be very outgoing and manage to bounce back from things,even when I had a stroke in 2000 and had to learn everything again.Sorry to rant on but I just don't know what I'm doing and last week I was told I have Cataracts now on both eyes,which have developed quickly,I'm having trouble with my eyesight and can't do my cross stitching now.Again sorry for going on but would be grateful to any suggestions from members who have been where I am now.Thanks,Ginnie :?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Virginia,
My heart goes out to you and I cannot begin to imagine how you are feeling.
You seem to have been let down by all the agencies involved and nobody is taking your suffering seriously.
You need to change your care team pronto as they all seem very lax about prescribing treatment for you. You need to complain to your PCT and ask for a change of Dr. Also I think it would be worth taking advice from someone at your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

There is some excellent advice for newly diagnosed on the Greetings and Introduction thread and you do need a meter. It is like driving with a blindfold on if you cannot test how your blood sugars react to certain foods.

Whilst I cannot help with your multiple health problems, we are here to help with the diabetes aspect so keep coming on the forum and asking questions. Getting this under control will be one less issue to deal with.

The Myodil fiasco is unbelievable and this was so uneccesary. How dare these drug companies cause this much suffering in patients. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Take care,

Catherine.