Feeling much better after years of feeling tired.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hello,
A while ago I wrote on the forum quierying why I was always out of energy and finding life hard.
Many of you wrote in with suggestions to help as I have had diabetes for 42 years, and also have hypo-thyroidism and was being constantly tested for Addisons Disease as well.

I thought I should write in and let you know that my health has really imporved and I have alot more energy and feel 'good' again. How? well, I first have to confess that I didnt mention, (because I was ashamed to), that I was taking a very low dose of Venlafaxine, just 37 mg, as this was given to me seven years ago now, to help with anxiety caused by hypos and work situations in general.
I had been asked to increase my dosage on several occasions because it was felt by med staff that I was suffering from depression, so an increase of Venlafaxine was thought to imporve my energy and life in general. Unfortunately, it did not help.
However, on visiting a new GP at my local surgery, it was suggested that I was tired either due to the fact that I had had diabetes for a long time, or, that I should try reducing the Venlafaxine drug that I was taking. I was horrified at first as I didnt think I could survive without this medication. On occasion when I had forgotten to take it I was very ill from withdrawal symptoms, so it was recommended that I reduced the dose by taking half a tablet at first. It has taken me about 2 and a half months to get down to just taking a quarter of a tablet per day, and I cannot believe just how much energy I now have. It has been very hard, and I had feelings of short blackouts and giddyness for several weeks whilst I reduced the dose at first, but I feel so much better I can scarcely believe it. To put you in the picture, before reducing the dose,I thought I was dying, I felt so ill and tired and low in general.

So I just wanted to share this with others. Things can turn around again, and I just wanted others to be aware of the effects that some other drugs can have. It has been a real eye opener for me, and I hope that it helps others who may be taking this drug and feeling a lack in energy to reconsider and hopfully,find other solutions.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
It's lovely to hear some good news. Well done and good health in the future :)

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Geri,
That's a scary story. A friend of mine takes venlafaxine, and is pretty out of it a lot, so I'll pass on your experience to her.
Glad you finally found out what was making you feel so awful, I know how good that feels :D
all the best
Jus

Fallenstar

It is so good to hear a positive upturn in someones health. I hope you carry on feeling better and better.

Could I ask Geri how long have they been testing you for Addisons , I am also Hypo- thyroid and have had the ACTH test because of low Cortisol but it seems like my Adrenals are still spluttering along.

Do you have any Addisons symptoms Geri ?

I was very poorly last year due to the Hashi's but feel Sooooo much better now on the Thyroxine.,
Did you feel better when put on the Thyroxine?

Anyway glad things are working out for you :)

Monkey201

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, Geri, that worries me now. Am also on Venlafaxine after unsuccessfully trying to stop taking Paroxetine (Seroxat) BUT, wait for it, 225g daily, a so-called maintenance dose, for years now. My diabetes has been bad recently, with spiking blood tests that found I also have NAFLD, as well as being immuno-globulin A deficient with antibodies (regular blood transfusions would probably kill me - good job I've not needed any in 40 years!) My 40th year has been tough. Am now on Byetta jabs twice daily plus 2g Metformin yet my levels are still above 8mmols. Neuropathy has started already & it all feels rather bleak. I was fed up with constant sweating, nausea/retching after minimal walking or chores plus constant exhaustion - GP says I have CFS. However, after 3 consultants in different fields all said Venlafaxine could give me these side effects, have started "weaning" off this drug, tho' slowly due to withdrawal worries. Since March 11, have reduced to 2.5 daily (from 3) against GP's advice who's concerned for my depression/anxiety but I want to enjoy life not sleep it away! The constant sweats have ceased & nausea takes longer to kick in plus some days I have more energy. I want to drop lower but am afraid of regressing. I haven't taken my bad health news well plus hubby has a new heart-related problem since summer, had to reapply for my job & take a pay cut, etc. Should I stay on 2.5 or lower the anti-deps? Feel grotty constantly with Byetta & wonder if this would help - any thoughts, folks?

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi Monkey 201 - just went online and saw your post. I actually reverted back to a flat state of mind after writing the post at the top of this link. Went to the GP and felt like giving up. The more energy feeling after coming off Venlafaxine had lapsed and the GP commented that at present no one knows what is happening with me and ME was mentioned.
The GP put me on Citalopram, a seratonin reuptake inhibiter, and I started on half the prescribed dose and after a week felt better in myself. Ive been on this for about 2 months and have only had 1 really bad 'no energy' day. I looked online and saw that this drug (in a higher dose) has been recommended to treat diabetic neuropathy as well as helping women with hot flushes.
I was prescribed 20 mg daily but am taking 10 mg daily. It has helped, although I am aware of placebo effects of feeling better on new tablets etc, but perhaps you might consider this too? It was very difficult for me to come off the Venlafaxine, but I am glad that I did as I still think that it made me far more tired and exhausted than normal.
I am aware that I may go back to black, as I call it, but having had a hectic and busy christmas time, I am pleased that I more or less kept up with everyone else. That is a huge improvement on what I use to be like.
I hope this post helps. I think it is useful to discuss similar problems, especially as you have also had diabetes for quite a while too.
Best, Gerry x

Monkey201

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gerry, hope you are feeling ok. I'm sorry to hear you've been through it again but it's good to hear you survived Xmas reasonably well! I know how precious the "good" times are, which seem rarer for me as time passes.
Thanks for your reply. It's helped to know that I'm not alone with this nightmare just by feeling supported by someone else. I'm on another low as my neuropathy seems to be worsening, the pain is constant & relentless - my left leg feels wooden below the knee and not mine somehow. Weird sensations and very scary as I'm paranoid that I'm going to lose my leg. Am seeing GP tomorrow but I don't think she can do much. However, interested in trying anything and Citalopram sounds like it may be helpful, so thanks for that. Glad it's helping you & hope it continues.
Will keep updating on here as sharing is definitely more positive for me than crying and stressing out alone. Just hope it's not too selfish!
Cheers, Em