Feeling of hypo in type 2 diabetes

Krisdundee

Hi, I'm recently diagnosed type 2, and a retired nurse. Can someone explain the feeling of hypo that I get from time to time ? It's classic signs, shakes , sweats, wobbly legs. I've tried looking on the Internet but with no success. Thanks.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your BS levels have been high, and you have managed to get your levels back towards normal levels you can experience false hypos, when you are in normal ranges. I had these a while ago when I was in the 20's and got my levels back to more normal when I was less than 10.0. A meter test confirmed the were not true hypos.

What meds are you on, as certain tablets like gliclazide can cause true hypos, do you have a meter to test your sugar levels.

Its worth getting a meter, which you can normally get free off most of the suppliers, though the problem of being a type 2 unless on certain meds means some GP's will not prescribe them.

Krisdundee

Thanks for that Pav. I know that they are not real hypos and I am only on metformin sr 500mg bd, but I feel that I need to eat something to try and stop the symptoms, usually some thing sugary..... Bad I know but don't know how to deal with it otherwise. Any suggestions?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you taken a blood sugar reading at these times. It might help to narrow it down.

Krisdundee

Unfortunately don't have access to a monitor. Will try and rectify that later today... Probably going to have to buy one. I don't suppose that it will harm to get a set of readings over a period of time to know what is happening.

sarahg0810

Hi Kris! I'm a type 2 too and I get the same symptoms. It's usually between meals and I used to get a bit panicky until I started checking my blood sugar levels which showed a normal 5.2 or 5.3!!! As has already been said, I think it's just your body adjusting to the changes in your diet, so nothing much to worry about! I don't recommend eating anything sugary, but eating something at these times will probably make you feel heaps better!! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Hi same problem same medication....now I am 6.5 was 19 I have to watch hypos I feel the symptoms so grab glucose tabs..... When they are a 3 or 4 I understand that they can be true hypos.....so many schools of thought....do what is best for you....I am not a regular tester as that is not supported I go with the average hba1c tests......I am happy with the results the diet has been hard though....best wishes Kat

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Nowadays I run my bg around 5 most of the time. I rarely feel hypo, but a number of years ago, I used to feel hypo at around 4, because I ran at around 7 -8 [as advised by the DSN]
Ialso used Gliclazide and occasionally it caused a hypo. I ditched it when Idiscovered low carbing
Hana

donnajv212

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I am type 2 and even before being diagnosed I was having true hypos lowest 2. This was when they thought I was just hypoglycemic, I still have hypos and and am not yet taking meds for the high sugars this is something I refused although I need them. So its worth testing any time you feel hypo symptoms it is true what a lot of others have said a lot of type 2s experience false hypos once started on treatment. But just wanted to put it out there true hypos could be happening. So I always test and advise others to do the same hope this helps x

Krisdundee

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Sounds like I need to get a meter just to keep myself straight. Will have to look into what snacks are ok at these times. I know that sugary ones are not what I should have.... But it's hard giving up the sugar as sweeteners all taste awful..any suggestion Sarah?

sarahg0810

That's a really good question!! I find that my wobbly moments are usually when mealtimes are nearly due so I try not to snack too much and have my meal a little earlier instead!! Nuts and seeds are good snack foods, and most supermarkets sell snack sized packs of them! Try to avoid the ones with dried fruit in though as they can push up BS levels!! Hope this helps!

Krisdundee

I bought a pile of fruit and tomatoes yesterday so will try using them as snacks. I haven't managed to get my head round carbs, how much is in what and how much I should be having a day, and then how to reduce them....help!

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kris,

there are plenty of resources on the Internet that list the carb content of foods - one caveat is that the USA and EU have different rules regarding the counting of dietary fibre.

The GDA for carbs is 300g for a man and 230 for a woman, halving that is a good goal if you want to low carb, some people are down to 50g per day. There is recent research that says that our need for carbs falls as we get older.

With an impaired glucose metabolism, you want to reduce the glucose spike you get after eating the carbs you do eat. Glycaemic Index is a good indicator of how quickly carbs become glucose in your blood. Mixing high GI foods with lower GI foods produces an average somewhere in between, so a baked potato on its own is high, add reduced sugar beans and a bit of cheese and the GI of the meal as a whole drops. Again, there are plenty of GI resources out there on the Internet.

Saturated fats are another thing to look carefully at. I have cut my target from a GDA of 30g for men and 20g for women to 5g per day. There is some biochemistry research that may link saturated fatty acids to insulin resistance.

HTH

desidiabulum

Krisdundee said:
I bought a pile of fruit and tomatoes yesterday so will try using them as snacks. I haven't managed to get my head round carbs, how much is in what and how much I should be having a day, and then how to reduce them....help!

Do be careful about fruit. Now that you're diabetic it's not true that all fruit is good for you -- some of it may raise your blood sugars considerably. Take a look at a GI/GL chart of fruit online. As a rough guide, it is better to stick to berries, and try to avoid tropical fruit. But the best thing is to get that meter and start testing -- people respond to different fruit in different ways. For snacks it might be better to try nuts and vegetables (I find celery works well for me), and have fruit when you are eating a meal with other things (as the previous poster explained, this can bring down overall GI of the meal). Keep trying and testing initially and you will soon sort out a method that works for you. Good luck!