Feeling of pressure in lower legs /Compartment Syndrome/edema

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can comment on it. Recently any extended walking, power walking or running has been causing me to feel large amounts of pressure and pain in the lower legs mostly on the outer compartment outside of the shins. Seems like exercise induced compartment syndrome, habits haven't changed other than changing injecting site of long acting levemir to thighs. Wondering if it can be diabetes related.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely sounds like you've been overdoing the exercise. I don't know if you've ever heard interviews with George Bryant, "the Civilized Caveman" - he is non-diabetic but had this happen to him while he was a serving US marine - after doing excessive amounts of exercise. He ended up needing emergency surgery (his shins literally exploded) for it. So please follow doctor's orders!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the tip noble, went to the gp and had an ultrasound of legs done. Ruled out any arterial condition.

Well that's reassuring Omar, perhaps your just overdoing the exercise, I know when I overdo it my legs can ache.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Definitely sounds like you've been overdoing the exercise. I don't know if you've ever heard interviews with George Bryant, "the Civilized Caveman" - he is non-diabetic but had this happen to him while he was a serving US marine - after doing excessive amounts of exercise. He ended up needing emergency surgery (his shins literally exploded) for it. So please follow doctor's orders!
This literally happens after 2-3 mins of fast walking not after strenuous exercise by any means.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This literally happens after 2-3 mins of fast walking not after strenuous exercise by any means.
The effects may be cumulative, I guess. Kind of like repetitive strain, perhaps? Once the damage is there, it may only take a small amount of strain to set it off again. Might be worthwhile seeing an exercise physiologist?