Feeling overwhelmed & afraid.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hello everyone. I've been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in this week & I'm feeling quite overwhelmed & fearful by it all. I've been symptomatic for a long time but stupidly ignored the signs. I'm testing my blood glucose twice a day but my readings are all over the place. Can't get it lower than 13.9 & that's several hours after eating. It's come down from 22 after being started on Gliclazide 40mg twice daily. I know it's early days, and this website has helped me learn more about the disease. I hate what's happening to me. Also, my hair has become very, very thin which I know is Diabetes related. I need to accept & adjust. Does it get easier folks. I'm sad & really quite afraid. Any advice would be appreciated greatly. X

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alison, please don't stress .. As you adjust your activity and eating habits .. You will find things become a lot easer to manage. @daisy1 will be along later with your offical welcome pack..

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi Alison, please don't stress .. As you adjust your activity and eating habits .. You will find things become a lot easer to manage. @daisy1 will be along later with your offical welcome pack..

Thank you for the kind words Enclave. I do feel lost but I know you're right. Hope @daisy1 can help as you say. X

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Welcome Alison Jane

I suspect it's diet related but whatever it is, you ARE in the right place. Ask away. Help is always at hand

Mike

Reactions: 5 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Alisonjane10

Hello Alison and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members. When you know more about diabetes and what to do you won't feel so lost any more. There are plenty of people here to help if there is something you need advice on.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 6 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alison welcome to the forum. It can seem overwhelming at first but you'll get there in the end. Re your hair have you also been tested for u/active thyroid as this can also affect it?

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
H
Hello everyone. I've been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in this week & I'm feeling quite overwhelmed & fearful by it all. I've been symptomatic for a long time but stupidly ignored the signs. I'm testing my blood glucose twice a day but my readings are all over the place. Can't get it lower than 13.9 & that's several hours after eating. It's come down from 22 after being started on Gliclazide 40mg twice daily. I know it's early days, and this website has helped me learn more about the disease. I hate what's happening to me. Also, my hair has become very, very thin which I know is Diabetes related. I need to accept & adjust. Does it get easier folks. I'm sad & really quite afraid. Any advice would be appreciated greatly. X
Hi Alison, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 weeks ago and it came as a big shock to me and like you I was feeling overwhelmed and afraid. I'm 37 and up until now have been healthy. Take some time to look through the threads on here and if you have any questions someone will always reply and help if they can! I've been on met formin twice a day and I can not seem to get lower than 12 at the moment but it's still early days! Ive read people with diabetes have a greater chance of suffering from depression so talk to people about it if you can and don't bottle it up. X

Reactions: 4 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Alison, welcome to the forum.
You have certainly come to the right place, every one on here knows exactly how you are feeling because we've all been there. There is a lot to learn and it can seem daunting at first, but you will find all the information you need on here to make the changes to your diet that will improve your health. You've made a good start by getting a meter and testing you bs levels. But testing just twice a day doesn't help you work out what you are eating to give the high readings. I test before every meal and then at 1 and 2 hours after the meal, that way you can work out what food is sending you bs high. You soon start to see which food's to avoid. With me it is potatoes, pasta, bread and fruit.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome: yes; it's scary to learn that you're diabetic; we've all been there. All that I can really add is to say that it will become less so, but that you shouldn't expect everything to put itself right in a few days; these things take time. Yes, use your meter to find out what food pushes your levels up, but also accept that this will only give you a series of snapshots. This may give you an idea of where you're heading but the figure that will be most enlightening is your HBA1C, the average blood/sugar level in your body over the two months or so leading up to the taking of a sample. This will be the figure that your healthcare team will be keeping an eye on and - hopefully - over the next few months, it will provide you with reassurance that you are doing the right thing and heading in the right direction.

Bear in mind that some people have been able to achieve more than others in bringing their numbers down: maybe because their insulin resistance is better than some or maybe because they are on a very austere diet. You must decide what levels feel right for you, in consultation with your DN or Doctor. All I can say is that it will get better, you will start to make sense of it and before long you will have learned to control diabetes, rather than vice versa (bit of a cliché but, like many clichés, true ;)).

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Welcome,
im type 1 but finding out you have diabetes can be very scary, there will be lots more type 2s that can help along soon

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello and welcome
it does get easier once you know what you can and can,t eat
ask as many questions as you like and we will help you

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hang in there. I have been diagnosed about a year. I still remember the anxiety and depression that triggered. Now it is just an irritation rather than a major issue in my life.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @Alisonjane10 , please don't panic too much, this is a condition that can be managed and we can support you in that. You will have to make some changes to your diet, and you will have to accept that the advice here (which works) is at odds with what you probably get from your medical practitioners (unless you are very lucky). Basically low-carbing is the key.

Have a read of the first linked item in my sig below and ask any questions you like.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It will be the shock making you scared and overwhelmed. Take a deep breath and relax. This disease isn't the end of the world and can be controlled with a bit of effort from yourself with regards to an eating plan. This will take time to sort out, but as this is a marathon, not a sprint, baby steps are best. Have a good read round the forum and come back with questions. If you need any help at all with which foods you may need to cut down, just let us know.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you give us some idea of your age and BMI as it may help us provide the best guidance. In any case you should be low-carbing to get the blood sugar down.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello & thank you so much to everyone who has replied to my question. Your supportive words are heartening & much appreciated. I will learn to manage my Diabetes, as you all have...I know that now after reading these threads. It's good to have somewhere to come to ask questions from people who've been where I am right now. Thank you kind peeps. X

Reactions: 13 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Alison,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 just 4 months ago and promptly burst into tears. I too was frightened and overwhelmed, but am slowly getting used to adjusting insulin and diet and have managed to keep my BG between 5-10 for quite a while now. I was also losing a lot of hair and thought I'd finish up bald! That has all stopped now, but I'm not sure if it was high glucose readings (in the high 20s) or the stress levels of accepting diabetes. Rest assured, the hair loss will stop.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome and well done for joining this great forum, loads of really helpful and experienced people, everything you've said is so familiar. Just ask away, some ones been there, going through it or done it. I ask lots of questions and so far everyones been kind enough to reply lol. take care:)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Alison,

I was diagnosed with Type 1 just 4 months ago and promptly burst into tears. I too was frightened and overwhelmed, but am slowly getting used to adjusting insulin and diet and have managed to keep my BG between 5-10 for quite a while now. I was also losing a lot of hair and thought I'd finish up bald! That has all stopped now, but I'm not sure if it was high glucose readings (in the high 20s) or the stress levels of accepting diabetes. Rest assured, the hair loss will stop.
Hi June. I am soooo glad that you're getting on top of your diagnosis & are managing your BG. It is also a HUGE relief that my hair loss will stop, as you've found out for yourself. It's been worrying me dreadfully. I'm really struggling with my diagnosis. My BG is all over the place & I'm frightened. I have no idea what to eat that won't spike my BG. Any kind of carbs sends my levels up. Does this get better? I can feel my mood slipping & I don't want this. I know eventually I'll get my head around it all but right now it feels impossible. I'm glad you responded to my post. You've given me some hope. X