Feeling peed off sorry for it being a negative first post :(

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Im 37 male im overweight not from being lazy or eating to much but im over weight

ive been having reccurrent chest infections over the last 12 months since quitting smoking im also asthmatic and ive been on prednisalone steroids precribed by my gp witch ive took before being a lifetime asthmatic

the last few weeks ive been really ill feeling like im having a heart attack arms burning face burning aching feeling hungry after eating and so on ive been rushed to hospital 3 times this week all ecg and bloods are saying heart is good but got my bloods back from my gp the day after saying i have vitimin d and vitamin b9 and b12 deficiancy and high blood glugose cant remember the amount she said but took another to test for diabeetis

when i got took into hospital the ambulance took my sugar test and it was 11.2 at 1.20am in the morning and 13.4 at hospital had tests done on heart nothing let me home

2nd night 1.26am same again racing heart on ecg when ambulance comes blood 10.3 heart tests done all saying good

next 2 night i felt better but not as bad as previous then boom my worse night at this point id been on vitamin d and folic acid for 3 days 1.30am this time not just heart feelings but all my left arm was like a hot fuzzy burning feeling then where my arm joins to chest was ice cold wife calls ambulance again blood was 9.9 heart test done but no bloods all come back good at this point this has happened 3 x in a week im scared that there tests aint working as my mom and most of my family aunts n uncles are diabetics and my moms heart attack was bought on by her diabeetis that she didnt no she had when she got took in she had the same tests as me and hers come back fine for her heart but they kept her in the 2nd time it happended and boom she had 3 mini heart attacks on the night at rest

ive told the doctors all of this and the history but wont keep me in for tests or even give me a machine to test my sugars i feel like im on my own and just being let down by the people i should be trusting also ive just found out that the steroids the gp gives me can bring on diabeatis im real at my end here and scared im being teated for a type of copd and ms and me and fibromyalica at the same time all this is taking its toll on me yes im stressed and scarred but the doctors telling me im being a depressant and anchious witch is total noncence

i just want answers sorry for me making my first post this long and probs have loads of spelling mistakes im sorry last thing i wanted is to tell the world my problems

thanks and cheers for accepting me to join

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Wow moss77 , I really feel for you, it's a big strain knowing your families health worries and now it s looking like you are diabetic too, but the good news is from here on in you can learn to take back control of your health, daisy will be along shortly with the advice for all newly diagnosed and this will help you to see that your not alone and their is a large number of fellow diabetics who are here to answer any questions you may have, hope to hear from you soon,

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, because of all the other problems we can't say wether you are diabetic or not, only the tests can do that.
You have made the first step even if you haven't got the condition.
What I would suggest is to have a read around about what benefits can be achieved if you eat better. You have probably been given advice about how to get your blood sugar levels down. Have a read about the dietary advice on here about low carbs, once you start you will see the difference.
I was overweight and I was active, I had different complications and dietary problems. Once I found this site and started low carb the change has been amazing.
You will be able to adjust it to your own needs.
@daisy1 will be along to give the introductory post. Have a good look at it. It is not a cure but it is a different lifestyle. And the knock on effect it will have.
Don't give up or over worry as this makes it worse. Keep telling us what your test results are and someone will always answer your questions.
Look after yourself, most of us on here have had similar experiences as you!

Reactions: 5 people

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
i having to use my moms every other day as i aint got a machine but used hers today and after having 1 piece of toast 2 hours later my bs was 9.9

since last week when i got my 1st high reading im not eat any chocolate at all and no buiscuits or and sugar free pop either ive also cut my sugar in my tea to half a sugar from 1 sugar not that i drink alot of tea anyway

cheers for your replys just feel like im being left to fight this on my own as doctors dont seem to want to tell me anything at the moments my eyes are soar and blury and my face feels like its got acid running through my veins and the shocks in my chest is doing my head in

ive just ordered my own machine tonight and spent alot of money i dont really have to get it so hopefully be here in few days

im booked in for a ct scan in jan on my chest to see whats going on just feel peed off as if it was bought on by steroids i should of been told i was at high risk of getting it im not one for medication and tbh i wasnt that bad with my chest to be taking them anyway just that it what my gp does not interested in looking at you or testing you just writes a prescription

thanks for your replys it means alot

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
You are doing the right thing by being on this forum , do not hold back any questions you may have ask and someone on this forum will help, I know these are just words but ,take it steady and read up on the questions and replies that appear on here,

Reactions: 2 people

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
i will do buddy feel a taj better just reading your replies (Y)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The blurred vision is a symptom of high and fluctuating blood sugar levels. This will go away once you have them under control. Try and knock off the bread, cereal, rice, pasta etc as these will only spike your bloods.
It's great that you're testing and have ordered your own meter. Use it properly and keep a food diary and eat to your meter.
Keep learning and asking, you are in the right place. Someone will always help.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

So sorry you are having such a bad time of it.

And I really hope you don't have a repeat experience this evening!
When do you expect to get the blood test results?

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Yes seen that its part of it by having a look about online but its ok just looking id been looking for someone to talk too think ive found the place at last :)

Thx brun and the rest of you errm they took the 2nd lot thursday so hopefully monday tuesday from gp,s or sooner from hospital but tbh both have been a bit hopeless

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
this is the machine ive ordered after doing reviews i picked this one as it had a good review plus i have not got to keep putting the tabs in

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 498

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard good things about that model.

I'm on the cheapest one I could find - the SD Codefree. Not as accurate!

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Ive read so many different things what to eat and what not to does anyone have a list a good things to eat and real bad things not to eat for your blood sugars ive noticed the pasta and bread ones come up alot am i right to think that brown pasta is good ?

thanks for everyones help felt like i was on my own all week

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
well no heart symptoms tonight so far but still not sleepy even without much food lol

cheers tim wow you really cant eat to much not alot of choice left lol but if it kicks the **** out of this it has to be done cheers buddy

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
until this is sorted for you and it may be the steroids messing with your system. there are a few things that will raise levels besides diabetes.
I would use the method of cutting back on carbs to keep your level down

you never know if there are any wheat allergy, it might even help with the asthma and get some weight off
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Both of those look great jack cheers im t total so no beer in my diet anyway my biggest problem was pop and chocolate but not had none all week 7 days tomoz :) wife bought brown pasta im guessing thats bad too i kinda no while i feel **** as been eating pastor normal stuff most of the week not much in portion but having it as thought it ws healther than the alternatives guess not lol

really appriaciate all the help people im not one for medication taking and only ever take something if its a must ie had mri scan 12 months ago got lump in my back pressing on nerves and spine been offered opp if lost weight hard as hell tho and not high enough percentage to have it anyway or injections in back ive turned it all down as all tho it is painful my pain threshold is good just hoping it does settle down and the steroids aint give me diabeetis im hoping its a wake up call to get me thinking ive been off the steroids a week now aswell

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just cutting the pop and sugar chocolate will help..try a line of 85% chocolate to get a choccy fix :) I use to eat a whole family block of normal chocolate in an hour
I would cut all sugary stuff. fruit and juice. I would also cut all grain and grain product. so the pasta has to go too, along with bread and wheat is in a lot of processed stuff, that you wouldn't think it was. so check labels

...try this for a month and see how you feel..for weight loss and blood level you should see a big difference, and don't forget to eat healthy fats to replace the lost energy from carbs.
have a watch of the video's on the page, I think they will get into 'metabolic syndrome'

you can google the atkins induction diet, it has food lists and recipes free on line and this thread has some meal ideas
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.36803/page-224#post-691447

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @mossy77 and welcome to the forum :)

As mentioned in the posts from @nosher8355 and @Clivethedrive , here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find this useful, whether you are diagnosed with diabetes or not. Some helpful posts above too. Carry on asking questions as there is always someone who can help as you have seen.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mossy,

Blimey, you have been through the mill with 3 emergency hospital visits. I hope things have settled down for you now.

When you see your doctor for your blood test results. do ask for a print out. You are entitled to this. You can then take it home and study it at leisure, and if you don't understand some of the entries, post them on here and we will help if we can. Good luck with the results.

Well done on getting a meter. They are essential at the beginning to help you learn which foods your body can cope with. Once the meter arrives we can also help you to use it properly to test out your meals - testing before and after eating etc.

Meanwhile have a good browse round the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

A

AnnieC

Hi hope what is said on here will help you and you will soon feel better. As for food you will have to test to see what you can eat that does not send your BG to high of course you should cut out all sugar stuff.. Some can eat smaller portions of things like bread potatoes pasta rice etc and some can't eat any of those. Try having Burgen Linseed and Soya bread a lot here have that and have just one or two slices a day and maybe a few small new potatoes instead of mashed or jacket potatoes. You can eat all meats eggs cheese fish and plain greek yogurts vegetables and fruit you will have to test for but any green leafy veg is good as is salad One step at a time and you will soon get the hang of it

Reactions: 3 people