Feeling under the weather after a night of high blood sugar?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious if anyone else experiences this. Last night I treated myself to a large pizza. I used to be able to perfectly control this with bolus shots but now I find it more difficult. Anyway, long story short, I spent the whole night between 12-16 mmol. This morning I woke up feeling bunged up, groggy, sore throat, headache, just generally ill. I've noticed I've had this same experience before after a night of high levels. I'm not sure if I am getting a cold or if it's just my body reacting to the sustained period of high levels. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, it does make me feel really tired and nauseas, a feeling of being unwell, but it does pass. I hope you aren't coming down with something and you start to feel better soon.
Take care

Reactions: pinewood

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope it's okay to "bump" this up again but I'm really curious if anyone else has any experiences.

I have no idea what happened last night. I had sushi for dinner which was relatively high carb but total carbs would have been around 100g maximum. I ended up high all night (12-16mmol) and literally no amount of bolus shots would bring me down ... I had something like 8 units to cover the dinner (which would normally for this type of meal cover me perfectly; I've experimented before) then ..... 4 units at midnight (12mmol), then I was something like 14mmol at 2am so took another 4 units, then I was 16mmol (!!!) at 4am and took another 4 units .... eventually crashed at 3mmol at around 7am.

I have felt dreadful all day - aching back, neck, shoulders, headache, zoned out, groggy. Feel a bit feverish but I've kept checking my temp and it's only 37 to 37.2 so don't think I have a fever. Just feeling really sorry for myself and worried I may have an infection or if this is just a "hangover" from a rubbish night of sleep and the high sugar levels.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, have you tried doing a basal test to see if your background insulin is correct or needs tweaking?
With pizza, most of us split bolus for it - fat slows down the carb absorption. Usually an underlying illness or infection does bump up levels. I know I had to up my insulin both basal and bolus for everything. Antibiotics did bring my levels down and saved the day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We would replace insulin cartridge if using injection pens.

Or are not well? That can raise sugar levels.