Feet Care for Races

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
For those new to running like me l have picked up a few good tips for feet. Bearing in mind l am a barefooter so feet no shoes happy feet shoes unhappy. lf any regulars can add help or advice please do.

For the Total Warrior race last saturday l knew we were going extreme with 10km and 30 insane obsticles

First off l made sure my feet were clean and dry...then l smeared them with 1/4 tub each foot of the big tubs of vaseline.

l bought a pair of the Inov8 Bare Grip 200. they were very lightweight and comfy. ln reviews people said that they could feel the studs through the base at times.....in all honesty l didnt.
l wore them once before the event and was worrying about not wearing them in....they didnt need it.
Review comments about tractor tyre grips were true l walked up mud hills others flung themselves up and slid down totally amazing.
They also allow water in and out and so l didn't suffer soggy foot....no water hung around.
The grips stayed free of mud some how they self clean.

Socks l got a pair of the Inov8 merino wool socks designed so they wicked the water away from my skin and at the end were almost dry. Have to say l was shocked thought they would be soaking.

On the day l took advice and got some Inov8 shoe covers to keep stones out. l didnt expect them to work yet despite being thigh deep in mud, swimming across rivers and sliding across things l got no stones or twiggs in my shoes and only a bit of mud.

Heard lots of folks complaining about stones in their shoes and about how slippery the course was.

All the above got a quick rinse to wash off surface mud, went in the was...and are now spotless for the next race.

Feet sorted... inter and post race glucose is in need of sorting my challenge for the next race.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I'd go with most of that.

I'm an Inov-8 wearer as well and have never needed to wear them in. The debris gaiters do come in handy for wet/muddy races and I've used those myself as well. You'll never stop water getting into your shoes, so goretex is useless, you just get two shoes full of water, always go for a running shoe that will drain well and your foot then just pumps the water out.

The only difference I would have is the socks. For running these days I always use Injinji toe socks for anything greater than a 5-6km trot, never had a blister problem with those and also no need to lube feet as the toes are separated.

You can also look at taping the toes individually and other bits of the foot to prevent and/or treat blisters if they occur, there are a few books out there on the subject. I use durapore surgical tape as it stays on pretty well even in a wet fell race.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Dave will look up the sock things. Was your advice on the inov8 that got me into them.

ummm how come we use miles of durapore at work and it sniffs water and unravels!! l wouldnt tape toes sounds way to uncomfy .... ick!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Dave will look up the sock things. Was your advice on the inov8 that got me into them.

ummm how come we use miles of durapore at work and it sniffs water and unravels!! l wouldnt tape toes sounds way to uncomfy .... ick!
you really don't notice it.

I like the durapore becasue it's got that slidiness to it as well, good on the friction surface. What do you know that sticks better?

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Havent the foggiest on stickiness. l do think l would notice though as l know you areva bare footer but l probably beat you in the never wear shoe stakes and am very aware ofvthings on my toes so tge toe socks seem good sticky things uhh uh no

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Yup but not in TW the mud was almost waise deep on some obsticles, peoples numbers were held on with safety pins and these littered the course and you needed to get traction for instance Death Valley was probably 150foot + a vertical climb up a mud face using cargo nets.. Sheep Dip was not quite as vertical or muddy also several river crossings some knee deep with boulders and all sorts you couldnt see the bottom ..just prayed.
While l barefoot l know there is times to be sensible and an OCR is such a time.