felt hypo, now really confused

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi All,

I'm really confused.

Changed to Lantus and novorapid recently. Currently building up the lantus dose. I'm t2.

Just been out shopping and started getting hypo symptoms, really hungry, dizzy, slow, tingling fingers so checked my blood and got 8.7. Had a cereal bar and glucose tabs incase and carried on but got worse. Went to car, checked bg again on other hand got 8.1. I'm on losartan for BP so checked pressure and all fine.
still feel strange. Any ideas?
Going have lunch and see if it helps

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you didn't wash your hands before testing then it might be the that some food contamination interfered with your bg results, this would be especially so once you handled the glucotabs and cereal bar.

The symptoms you describe do sound like a hypo so you probably did right by treating so, if you felt better after consuming the food then you have the answer, needless to say if your worried that it might be something else then see your Dr.

Reactions: 2 people

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
If you didn't wash your hands before testing then it might be the that some food contamination interfered with your bg results, this would be especially so once you handled the glucotabs and cereal bar.

The symptoms you describe do sound like a hypo so you probably did right by treating so, if you felt better after consuming the food then you have the answer, needless to say if your worried that it might be something else then see your Dr.

Thanks noblehead. Didn't wash my hands so could well be that. Felt a lot better after lunch but it's left me feeling really off the rest of the day

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Little tip on testing. If you are unable to wash your hands, I have found the outside of the little finger to be the least likely to be contaminated with food stuff.

leeemerick

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
*slaps wrist* :confused: *hands packet of wet wipes* to be kept in the car :cool:
Does make you feel really unwell for the rest of the day.
Think it causes stress too as it's a bit frightening.
Especially if you're newly diagnosed and not long been on insulin I should imagine.

Never thought to use a wet wipe. Always got them in the car as well for the kids!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead. Didn't wash my hands so could well be that. Felt a lot better after lunch but it's left me feeling really off the rest of the day

Hypo's can wash you out especially if bg levels drop too low.

When I was first diagnosed my DSN give me some advice that I've always stuck to, she said that if you are ever in doubt that you may be hypo (In other words you have the symptoms but can't explain why) then treat it as a hypo, I agree as its better that way than getting to a point where you can't treat the hypo yourself, after all with a basal/bolus regime you can correct your bg later if you were mistaken.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Absolutely noblehead. I had similar advice and it is something I've always stuck to.

Reactions: 2 people