Females with stressful jobs associated with 21 per cent higher type 2 diabetes risk

DCUK NewsBot

Female teachers who get stressed at work have an associated 21% greater likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes, according to researchers. A French team of experts from the INSERM institute say the increased risk factor is linked to stress hormones which can lead to females putting on weight around their middle. The study involved more than 70,000 French women, who worked mainly in education and were monitored for about 22 years. Their eating habits were tracked as well as their mental tiredness. More than 4,000 of the participants were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, who claimed their work was very mentally tiring. The association between stressful jobs and those who were diagnosed was independent of unhealthy lifestyle and traditional metabolic factors. Dr Guy Fagherazzi from the Centre for Research in Epidemiology and Population Health at Inserm, said: "Although we cannot directly determine what increased diabetes risk in these women, our results indicate it is not due to typical type 2 diabetes risk factors. This finding underscores the importance of considering mental tiredness as a risk factor for diabetes among women. "Both mentally tiring work and type 2 diabetes are increasingly prevalent phenomena. What we do know is that support in the workplace has a stronger impact on work-related stress in women than men. Therefore, greater support for women in stressful work environments could help to prevent chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes." Stress has previously been associated with higher risk of type 2 diabetes but being stressed does not need to lead to type 2 diabetes. The risk of developing type 2 can be reduced through eating a healthy real-food diet as recommended on our award-winning Low Carb Program as well as getting regular exercise. The findings have been published in the European Journal of Endocrinology.

Continue reading...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Shift workers always show a higher risk. Teachers now lose alot of sleep to catch up on work which should be done at work..... not home.
They are overworked.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Did they measure their weight and enquire about their diet?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shift workers always show a higher risk. Teachers now lose alot of sleep to catch up on work which should be done at work..... not home.
They are overworked.
Teaching is not as easy as it looks. I did it for 7 years and behaviour wasn’t an issue as I taught adults. But notwithstanding I challenge anyone to stand up and talk all day long, it’s bloomin hard work. :D

Reactions: Robinredbreast

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Agreed. But Mrs Kitedoc can do it though!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Writers often set themselves a word count limit or target per day.
I sometimes wish I could set a talk word limit.
Of course I am exaggerating !!!
I reckon the trick would be to be a teacher of mime !!!
In all seriousness I really appreciated all my teachers.
Their task and responsibility is greater than we often give them credit for.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not just stressful jobs that cause havoc. Stressful childhoods can have the same effect. Anything that causes adrenalin to flow can wreak havoc woth the hormones in later life. We have a choice in what job we do. We don't have a choice when

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My mum was a nurse, as was my sister-in-law ( who then became a health visitor) two of my nieces too, one works with criminals who have committed serious crimes, none have or had diabetes.

Reactions: kitedoc

JanetMcDowell

I was a nurse. Worked long hours, shifts, missed meals and tea breaks. I also suffered from insomnia. I have developed type 2.