Festive.....

K

Kat100

Hi everyone
I know it's a little early, but this will be year one t2 for me and I was wondering what festive treats you might buy or make and eat for that festive time.....
I have been good with finding sugar substititues but is there anything I should know about....the boxes of mince pies are out in the shops already :(

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i saw the mince pies yesterday, painful :thumbdown:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm hoping the resident low carb baker Ewelina comes up with a low carb sherry trifle recipe! :thumbup:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i dont want one on christmas day, i want 6 everyday between now and and march....*stamping feet*

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Hahahahaha I hate mince pies and christmas pudding although may have to have a slice of youl log. But it I preceed it with alcohol I should be fine lol

K

Kat100

Lol sherry trifle and mince pies....I will have to walk and eat all day Long....no time for Christmas specials ;) x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I make a trifle that you might not call low carb but is definitely lower carb.

For the custard, just make an ordinary egg custard sweetened with splenda.
or going back to childhood, I quite like (raspberry) blancmange sweetened again with spenda (that would be higher carb from the cornflour)
For the jelly use no sugar jelly crystals but don't use as much water/fluid as suggested or it gets too floppy.
For fruit I tend to use red fruits(hence pink blancmange)
I've used:
raspberries canned in juice ( about 7g.carb/100g) If I use this I use the juice for part of the liquid to make the jelly.
or frozen red fruits (here drastically lower the liquid in jelly)
or fresh berries

For the base I actually use normal boudoir biscuits or trifle sponges because you don't actually need many and they are light, I'm sure that low carbers could find a suitable almond cake.
Lots of sherry to moisten.
Whipped cream with dark choc curls on top.

K

Kat100

Well I must make this trifle....what a great idea.....thank you....it sounds lovely.....must make a practice one ;) x

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Mines a similar recipe. Can't see sherry trifle being much of a problem. Make low carb buns with coconut flour and ground almonds. Soak liberally with sherry. cover with raspberries and sugar free jelly. Make custard with sugar substitute. pile on cream or crème fresh and top with flaked almonds. How bad can that be? :evil: What I want is a low carb mince tart recipe, I wish. :(

K

Kat100

Arrrrrh thank u for sharing that .......trifle is winning....
Shame about the mince tart......
There must be something else we can have....
Think I will make some mini cheese sconces for a mid morning nibble with low fat cream cheese on and some olives.....must also look out for offers of high % chocolate.....:) Kat x

WhitbyJet

Mincemeat/Pastry/Marzipan
A lower carb mincemeat recipe (use almond short crust pastry for mince pies)

220g cooking apples
150g stewed rhubarb
45g sultanas
45g currants
50g melted butter
finely grated zest of 1 orange
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
sweetener, liquid sweetener, about 2tsp or to taste
1 tbsp molasses

This has a total of 125 carbs for a 16fl oz jar as opposed to around 275 g carbs for a ready made jar from a well known supermarket

Peel and chop apples, microwave until soft, mix together with all the rest of the ingredients, spoon into a jar.
For best results leave overnight before using, must be stored in the fridge.

As always adjust the recipe to suit your taste, eg more or less or different spices, you can add more dried fruit, but it would increase the carb content, as it is the rhubarb works really well in this recipe.
I have baked some sample mince pies, in the middle of July (yeah I know ) people really liked them.

Low Carb Short Crust Pastry

1 cup of almond flour
20g of chilled butter, cubed
pinch of salt
approx 1 tbl of chilled water
1 tablespoon of sweetener for sweet crust

Mix almond flour, salt and sweetener. Cut in butter and rub butter into almond flour incorporating air as you go, gradually add water until it comes away from the bowl and forms a ball without being too sticky. Dust it with a little baking powder and keep it in the fridge for about 30 mins.
Dont roll it out, just cut off pieces and press into the mince pie tins, fill with the mince meat, bake in the oven at 180C, top with a marzipan star or you could faff around with the pastry to shape a star as topping.

Low Carb Marzipan
3 cups Fine Almond Flour
1 cup Powdered Splenda = place granulated Splenda in a food processor and whizz to make it into icing sugar, you need 1 cup icing sugar, you can use another sweetener but its got to be a granular type and one that measures spoon for spoon like sugar.
few drops of Almond Extract
1 egg White or use pasteurized egg white

Place 2.5 cups of the almond flour and all other ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all is combined. Sprinkle some of the remaining almond flour on your work surface and turn the marzipan out. Knead it through. Should it be a little to sticky, add more of the remaining almond flour until it is nice and pliable.

If your marzipan is too dry or crumbly add a tiny amount of water or egg white, but be careful not too much of it, knead it through carefully or you will end up with a very soggy, mushy mess.

K

Kat100

Thank you whitbyjet....feels very festive now....
What a great recepie.......I would not of known where to start.....I will enjoy having ago with my baking....

Have some toasted tea cakes for this afternoon...because it's so cold....just the one....

Thank you again.....Kat x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I hope you enjoy a festive treat or treats Kat. I don't really have any treats, because the carb amount in Free From foods( I'm coeliac) mince pies and Christmas pudding is so high, I just wouldn't chance it. A couple of festive treats are a lovely treat though:D

Best wishes RRB

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kat100 said:
6 mince pies ;) and a sherry trifle......waiting Kat x

Now, Mrs Yorks kindly made a sherry trifle using truvia and other suitable substitutes. Obviously not everything can be substituted so more jelly, less custard, that sort of thing. Put more fruit in, frozen strawberries, raspberries etc. It worked fine.

I do miss the mince pies though. I do have a quick nip of Mrs Yorks Christmas Pudding Vodka though, a Hairy Bikers Recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chris ... odka_45343

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kat100 said:
Hi everyone
I know it's a little early, but this will be year one t2 for me and I was wondering what festive treats you might buy or make and eat for that festive time.....

Roast Goose.

300px-Gans2.jpg

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kat100 I feel your pain. It'll be my 1st Christmas as a T2 too, Going to miss my mums Christmas Cake with a big piece of Cheese, Christmas Pudding, Mince pies and Jam Tarts, I am going to try adapting the coconut bun recipe. Any Ideas for sausage rolls?