filler

diski

I have type 2 diabetes and it is well controlled with metformin. My question is: I like to go to the gym, but I find I cannot go straight from work without eating something (I don't want to take a quick snack ie sausage roll etc) and wondered if someone could recommend some sort of drink/supplement which will see me through until approx 7pm? I don't take milk so a milkshake is out of the question and fresh fruit juice makes my sugar levels rise. Any suggestions gratefully received

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi diski,

As I'm sure you already know, one of the problems with going to the gym after work, if you are diabetic, is that exercise uses your stores of energy, so you body tries to creat more by converting more of the sugar in your blood into energy. This comes at a time of the day when your blood sugar levels are already dropping (unless you like a very late lunch). So there is a danger of a hypo if you don't take some fuel on board.

I don't know what other regular exercisers think, but I would think you could probably eat an energy bar (like a Special-K bar or a Jordans muesli bar) with no ill effects as your workout will neutralise the sugar/carbohydrate content. If you need a drink, and bottled water doesn't appeal, then have a fruit drink like unsweetened apple juice, which is low GI so won't cause a sugar spike.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
I have a banana and some cheese - Parmesan or Mozzarella.

diski

Many thanks to you both. I will tryout your suggestions and let you know how i get on in the new year!

Merry Christmas

Diski:)