Approved Final Year Project Help

gadgetmanjay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Veg. Salad.
Your first mistake is that all diabetics have diabetic glucometers. It is standard practice for the NHS to tell T2 they dont need to test.

Hi, Thanks for your comment, but I'm not sure where you read that I made that assumption causing you to have made the assumption that I made a 'mistake'? The survey includes diabetics and non-diabetic entries and does not assume all entrants have diabetes or test using a glucometer.

In fact, question number 4 in my survey asks "Do you test your blood using a Glucometer or Blood Test Strip Monitor Device?" meaning you've commented on the survey without actually taking the survey?

I am T2, diagnosed just over 18 months ago. I already understood that many T2's don't require to test. I also understood that both T2's & in some instances T1's don't get glucometer support from their GP. Many T2's do not 'need' to test as their condition can be managed with Metformin & better diet and exercise and the balance of glucose in the blood doesn't reach the extremes of Hypo or Hyper which would require continuous testing.

When the condition can't be managed in this way and additional medication is required such as Gliclazide and Sitagliptin as examples, they do 'need' to test. And for my project and this survey, I have done extensive research and understand that the cost sometimes outweighs the need. With nearly 3 million diagnosed diabetics in the UK alone, the cost of diabetes management is vast. As a consumer, I made a choice to test when I was initially diagnosed, so I understand the personal cost of devices and mores test strips.

I am unfortunate that my T2 cannot be managed by 'life changes' and have additional meds that require me to test 6-7 times a day. Fortunately I have a diabetic nurse who is responsive and understands the need for testing.

In fact, question number 4 in my survey asks
Please don't 'assume' all members of this forum are uneducated in the condition and circumstances surrounding management of diabetes. We are not.

Regards

C

catherinecherub

This thread has been approved. If anyone has any issues with it then please address them to the Moderation team rather than arguing and attempting to belittle the OP. Some posts have been deleted.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@gadgetmanjay I obviously know nothing about you and I'm, making some enormous assumptions here, but I'm guessing you are under thirty and probably don't have a massively high BMI? Have you had any blood tests for autoimmune antibodies?

That you are 18 months diagnosed, appear to be relatively young and diet doesn't work is often a sign that you may be late onset type 1 (LADA) and not type 2. The statistics suggest that 25% of T2s diagnosed below the age of 35 are in fact late onset type 1, so I'd strongly suggest getting those tests undertaken.

If, of course, I've assumed incorrectly, let me know via PM and I'll delete this post.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Survey done and looks good be interesting to add why yo yea or no re smart watches just to see if there is a common reason

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@gadgetmanjay I did the survey. I'm actually not any of the diabetes types you put in the drop-down menu, but I appreciate that I'm in a small minority so I picked the one closest to what I've got. I also found the question on how often I test hard to answer: I get 50 strips a month and choose to test intensively (i.e. 7 times) on selected days; possibly a question of how many times ones tests a month would have produced more accurate results. Other than those two little niggles, I thought your survey was clearly focused and well-constructed.

Kate

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gadgetmanjay

I completed the survey, but found the question with the slider impossible, as the slider would not slide. I hope this does not render my data useless.

Thank you for following protocol and getting approval. Always happy to oblige researchers who do this.
Good luck with your project, and any future initiatives. Also, I hope you continue to manage your diabetes well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I thought the slider didn't work.. But it does on a mobile or tablet you don't swipe/glide the screen but just tap where you want it to go...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought the slider didn't work.. But it does on a mobile or tablet you don't swipe/glide the screen but just tap where you want it to go...
Yup, I tried that. Still dodn't work.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found the slider hard to move also, got it roughly where I wanted it. Done :)

Colsey_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm type 1 for 20 yrs the only thing I'm sure would help apart from a cure would be nhs supplied cgm meters its not hard to recognise how this would be you can't guess your sugers or there patterns from time to time we need a window to look through an see what's goin on inside when we chose to