Finally going on to metformin!!!!!!!!!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi folks type 2
My DN called me yesterday (wow it must be christmas :lol: )
She phoned out of the blue and asked me to attend an apointment early next month. And she is going to introduce me to metformin to my meds. Now then,
anyone one that's exchanged messages about me has asked the same ???????
How is it you don't take meformin. :? :? tried to ask her but she over spoke me.
Has anyone got any idea why this would be case for me?
It will be exactly 3 months from diagnosed type 2!
JF.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I noticed this always pops up on the GPs PC when I see him Diabetic related
see if you can get a gander at yours :)

What was your BMI :?:
if patient with BMI 25kg/m2 or less - consider starting metformin or prescribe an insulin secretagogue (sulphonylurea) (your Glicazide)

If you follow the treatment map see

http://healthguides.mapofmedicine.com/choices/map/diabetes2.html
* if patient with BMI above 25kg/m2 - start metformin
* if patient with BMI 25kg/m2 or less - consider starting metformin or prescribe an insulin secretagogue (sulphonylurea)

Consider the following when starting metformin [6,7]:

* step up metformin over several weeks to minimise risk of gastrointestinal (GI) side effects
* consider trial of extended-absorption metformin if GI tolerability prevents the person continuing with metformin
* review metformin dose if serum creatinine is greater than 130micromol/L or estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is less than 45mL/minute/1.73m2
* stop metformin if serum creatinine is more than 150micromol/L or the eGFR is less than 30mL/minute/1.73m2
* prescribe metformin with caution for those at risk of a sudden deterioration in kidney function, and those at risk of eGFR falling to less than 45mL/minute/1.73m2
* if the patient has mild to moderate liver dysfunction or cardiac impairment, discuss benefits of metformin so due consideration can be given to its cardiovascular-protective effects before any decision is made to reduce the dose

Consider sulphonylurea if [6,7]:

* patient is not overweight (tailor the assessment of body-weight-associated risk according to ethnic group); or
* metformin is not tolerated or is contraindicated; or
* a rapid therapeutic response is required due to hyperglycaemic symptoms

References:

[6] National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Type 2 diabetes: newer agents. Clinical Guideline 87. London: NICE; 2009.

[7] Srinivasan B, Lawrence I, Davies M. Diabetes: glycaemic control in type 2. Clin Evid 2008; 07: 607.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Bob i know you will psssss @me but i dont know my body index i dont know the theoary i'm 6' and 17 stone

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Thnks folks my bi is 34.5 :oops: :oops: :oops:
however my shoulders are 3' 6" wide :wink:
any suggestions ?