mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No tips unfortunately just good luck with your new toy :)

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Start saving (500 for CGM starter :)) !! thats the only tip I could give :)
good choice!!

H

Hooked

Thank you all. Hmmm..... do you think if I was really good would Santa bring me a CGM for Xmas? ;)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
If only I could be that good;). Hooked you should have been given a black case that you attach to jeans or a belt, I did when I got mine. One tip, watch your bloods on change day, I've seen mine rise a bit, when I'm due a set change( but that may just be me, being strange). You could try pump fashion for a case or cover??

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice is to take time to play with it a bit and find out as much about it as you can. Are you running saline at the moment or are you not hooked up at all? Be prepared to do LOTS of testing for the first few weeks - this will definitely pay off in the long run especially if you can get your basal rates right 24/7. My one downfall is that I always underestimate what effect any form of exercise has on my bg (even a short walk to the paper shop) so be prepared to play with the temp basal rate function a bit - again, lots of testing.

I don't use my black case I was given, it makes it too bulky. I just wear mine as it is. I might consider getting a skin for it tho.

H

Hooked

If only I could be that good;). Hooked you should have been given a black case that you attach to jeans or a belt, I did when I got mine. One tip, watch your bloods on change day, I've seen mine rise a bit, when I'm due a set change( but that may just be me, being strange). You could try pump fashion for a case or cover??

No black case, just a clip for the back of it.
I have a spibelt here for it, which I think I might end up using quite a bit though.

Interesting what you say about your levels going up on set change day. I'll keep that in mind.

H

Hooked

My advice is to take time to play with it a bit and find out as much about it as you can. Are you running saline at the moment or are you not hooked up at all? Be prepared to do LOTS of testing for the first few weeks - this will definitely pay off in the long run especially if you can get your basal rates right 24/7. My one downfall is that I always underestimate what effect any form of exercise has on my bg (even a short walk to the paper shop) so be prepared to play with the temp basal rate function a bit - again, lots of testing.

I don't use my black case I was given, it makes it too bulky. I just wear mine as it is. I might consider getting a skin for it tho.

I'm not attached to it, but there is saline and a line on it, so can play around with it. So far I've been putting my carbs and levels into it as if I am attached to it so I get into the routin of using it. Also have two catheter sets to practice with those. Been reading up online today. Going to read through the stuff the nurse gave me again tomorrow, eyes are too tired now to read much more.

Exercise has never really had much impact on my levels, though I can't do anything at the mo as I tore ligaments in my foot a few days ago; so things might change once I'm on the pump and able to get active again.

Let me know if you find out where to get the skins for the pump please.

My main worry is buttons accidently being pressed and adjusting things. I guess there is no way to "lock" it as you do with a mobile phone kind of idea?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes their is a way to look it, but I can't remember how to do it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lock it by holding the up and down buttons at the same time for about 3 second. Same procedure to unlock. I use the lock feature for the same reason you do, in case something bumps by mistake.

I am still just using the belt clip and keeping it my pocket. I did get a little belt case thing in my bag of stuff. Spibelts are supposed to be good so if you have one of those, go for it

H

Hooked

Lock it by holding the up and down buttons at the same time for about 3 second. Same procedure to unlock. I use the lock feature for the same reason you do, in case something bumps by mistake.

I am still just using the belt clip and keeping it my pocket. I did get a little belt case thing in my bag of stuff. Spibelts are supposed to be good so if you have one of those, go for it

Brill! Thanks for that. Will feel much happier knowing it is locked. :)

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another little trick they don't tell you is that when the screen is black, if you press the button on the side with the light bulb on it it's a quick way of telling you your IOB. Anyone else got any other tricks?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another little trick they don't tell you is that when the screen is black, if you press the button on the side with the light bulb on it it's a quick way of telling you your IOB. Anyone else got any other tricks?
Yes I found that out by accident too. And if you have the CGM running, that top button (the otherwise useless Audio Bolus button) also displays the CGM screen, which otherwise takes about six button presses to get to.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could always set up audio bolus though Spiker, if you really wanted to...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could always set up audio bolus though Spiker, if you really wanted to...
I have set it up, I just don't find it useful. It's a faff to use and it doesn't use any of the 'ez' wizards. If it used the carb wizard, and maybe even took the BG wizard using the CGM data (ho ho!), I would go through the learning curve of using it. I guess it might come in handy during a long meeting at work. Or if I was wearing the pump tucked away somewhere. For now I just fish out the unit and use the on screen bolus.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't use the audio bolsus either, I find ezecarb and ezbg far easier to use. Same as me Spiker.