Finding Out For Myslef

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it permitted to have a little Rant?

Everything I have learned about Diabetes and its related health risks I have learned here. Everything about controlling my carbs and other diet info I have found here. Everything :evil:

Now, I truly appreciate all of you on this forum who are willing to share your experiences and time to help newbies like me. I really do. :D

But what about all those who dont know about this forum? I only found you cos I was trying to get to the other Diabetes forum my Doctor suggested, and typed the name in wrongly in Google. I am one of the lucky ones.

Nothing is suggested by my Surgery. I have to know the questions to ask. There has been nothing explained to me. Nothing but a prescription for metformin (1 a day and come back in 3 months for another blood test) Nothing about health checks. They didnt even tell me about free prescriptions. They volunteer NO information or advice. I know it is a busy practice in an inner city area which has many deprived and needy patients - but is that a valid excuse? :evil:

I am angry at the lack of health CARE myself and others are receiving from the professionals. Its scandalous IMHO. And so short sighted financially too, which seems to be the main focus of health care these days, the cost in monetary terms.

Rant over - thanks for listening.

sweetLea

I have been ranting for years about this! I even spoke to my MP about it all. In the end we just have to try and help each other out as much as possible. Thankfully there is a great bunch of people here!

SweetHeart

Our GP told us never to get diabetes information from online forums - they're dangerous, you know. You don't need to fill your head with too much information, just do as the doctor/nurse tells you. Which is all very well, but in our case they tell you many conflicting things. You'd think they'd get together across the corridor and confer.....

On diagnosis, our best bit of non-advice was; Don't Cut Your Toenails! - no whys or wherefores, just don't do it.

:clap: for this forum and all the fabulous people herein!

Julia

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On diagnosis the GPs advice was eat lots of fruit and veg but not melons or mangoes :shock:
I havent eaten either of them since perhaps that is why my BGs have come down from 26.9 to a Hba1c of 6.4 :lol:
CAROL

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Had pretty much the same attitude when I first found here and was really shocked that people on the forum knew more than my HCP's. Came to head the day I saw nurse nightshade and since then have just taken a screw em all attitude. Realised that I trusted the judgement of people like borofergie, grazer, sid bonkers, phoenix, catherinecherub, pneu and loads of others I could mention far more than any of my local HCP's.

I even tried evangelising on the Diabetes UK Facebook page along with Borofergie and IanD for a few days but we were totally ignored. I think that depressed me even more than my lack of good local advice so gave up. I've kind of concluded that anyone who really wants to take care of themselves will find here in the end anyway. Maybe that's a bit harsh but...

I also think the owners of this forum need to be congratulated for having such an open attitude. I think we sometimes forget them as without them the forum wouldn't exist. :clap:

SweetHeart

That's exactly what I asked (got a filthy look from nurse Death)

It's to avoid ingrowing toenails, which could cause infection which, with the added complication of neuropathy, could cause infections which a diabetic with numb toes might not notice until too late...after septicaemia has caused massive problems and could possibly end in gangrene and amputation.

Except we didn't get told that bit and I had visions of MH's toenails looking like those of a Yogi, all curled round and around. I had to make the nurse backtrack and explain. MH is booked in to Podiatry every two weeks so that those poor souls get the pleasure of trimming his toenails as my pedicures were deemed unsuitable. His feet have been fine in the 28 years I've been looking after them.....

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading round, I am beginning to suspect that a lack of intervention by the medical profession at this stage might not be a bad thing after all.

A

Anonymous

How come they put you on medication Lucy? I thought they were leaving you to try diet first.

Defren

Same thing happened with me. I had blood tests as a routine screen for other medical issues, they saw the glucose levels were high, and I was complaining of what I now know are diabetes complications. Had a second blood test, diabetes confirmed, put on Metformin, and a new set of blood tests 6 weeks later. No dietary advice, nothing. So glad I found this forum. I have managed to get my BG reasonably stable, with a meter I bought myself, otherwise I would still be on the diet I was, which is obviously not a good one by the fact I have complication symptoms - sigh!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been given Metformin, but I am not taking it yet as I want to try diet first. The prescription for Metformin was thrust into my hands as I left.

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
I have been given Metformin, but I am not taking it yet as I want to try diet first. The prescription for Metformin was thrust into my hands as I left.

I was handed Metformin and Simvastatin and I take both. In general I do have a very good relationship with my GP. It could be it is a rural surgery and the Doctors do have a little more time. I am following a very low carb diet, and feel that although the Metformin has reduced my appetite to that of a mouse, it is needed by me.

As is said on this forum many times, and is very true, we are all different, and what works for me may not work for the next person. I feel fine about the Metformin, but would like to come of the statins as soon as is safe.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not against medication at all, but want to at least try diet only first before taking that step.

and Grazer - no problem, I thought it was funny :D

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
I am not against medication at all, but want to at least try diet only first before taking that step.

and Grazer - no problem, I thought it was funny :D

I wasn't having a dig - honestly. I was saying what I felt was right for me. As I said we are all different and should do/try what we feel is right for us.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didnt think you were having a dig. I dont take offence easily and, if I did, I would pm for clarification first XX

Grazer

Just one thing about the metformin - it will do very little for your sugar levels anyway, so you need to get there on diet regardless. BUT; it's a very good drug that has good properties in terms of preventing future cardio problems, so perhaps don't be in too much of a hurry to ditch it.