Finger pricking getting painful

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I was diagnosed type 1 about 6 months ago and my fingers are starting to get really painful when blood testing. I try to stick to my left hand one day, then on to my right the next. I can see all the spots where I've tested and it's getting hard to avoid where I've already been.
My needle depth isn't too much, any less and I can't draw any blood.
Any advice?

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously avoid thumb and forefinger the others just try to alternate. On my lancet kit I can turn it up or down

SussexRokx

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Although not a diabetic myself, I'm a carer for my elderly Mother who has type 2 and also has dementia. I've found that some lancet pens can be a lot less gentle than others (having tried a few, on myself - as distress caused by pain, is a major concern with people with dementia). The best one I've found so far, is the one supplied with the BeneCheck Plus multi-monitoring meter (no, I'm not advertising it - just a suggestion). This particular pen can, without pain, produce a sufficiently large blood droplet for most testing meters. If the pen causes bruising and pain around the sample point, I'd suggest trying a different one, especially if lower settings fail to provide the right amount of blood for the sample needed.

As an aside, we all have ten digits (fingers) so I guess that's ten days worth of testing, which, with the right lancet pen, allows for complete healing, of each digit, before we have to subject them to the same torture again. :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I rotate among my last 3 fingers and only prick around the sides, the pads are too sensitive and take longer to heal,whereas the sides have more skin and don't bleed as much, also choose your lancet carefully, a good lancet will be adjustable so it only pricks very lightly, same as your meter some meters only require a tiny drop so investigate which one would suit you best. In time it will be second nature and won't hurt much at all, just bear with it !!

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Avoid the thumb and index finger entirely and on the other 3 fingers avoid using the tips of the fingers but use the side of the tip instead (if that makes sense).

Without being too presumptuous about your control, if you were fairly recently diagnosed, then it is harder to get blood out when you've been high for some time. As your BS gets better, this improves.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a pumice stone on my finger tips when I shower. It keeps extra skin from building up where I prick my fingers (so I don't have to increase the lancet depth).

That along with using the Accu-Chek fast clix makes it painless for me.

iHs

When at home or sitting down somewhere, I dont prick my fingertips that much anymore. Instead, I prick the front of my fingers just below the nailbed on a very low fingerprick setting and then bend my finger and gently massage from the middle of my finger up towards the nailbed so that the blood flows nicely and this saves the build up of fingerpricked hard skin forming and needing to use a pumice stone to try to remove it. Obviously a decent lancet helps.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's surprising how often you see pictures/video of people pricking their finger tips. I was taught to use the sides of the second & third fingers. That way you have 8 sides to rotate through. As has been said, some lancets are much better than others.

Robbins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, another novice here (started on insulin 3 weeks ago). Why not the thumb or Index finger?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's AST (Alternative Site Testing) but it's said that the results aren't as reliable as finger-prick testing, but the patient information included in bg meter and test-strip packaging says that you should only use AST after speaking with a HCP.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, another novice here (started on insulin 3 weeks ago). Why not the thumb or Index finger?
Good question! I don't know if there is a technical reason, I just feel that the we do delicate work with 1st finger/thumb & I want to retain the sensitivity.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the AST cap on an Accu-chek mobile (just phone them and ask for one and they'll send you one free of charge), but found 2 issues.

1. Trying to get enough blood out of my palm was very difficult.

2. Inconsistent results - 2 to 4 mmol higher than fingertips when testing multiple fingertips gave the same results.

I gave up after that.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have less nerve ending on the sides of your finger tips than in the middle/front tip - so hopefully it wouldn't hurt as much. Also you use index finger and thumb a lot more than the rest of your fingers so keep them as a last resort.

One thing no ones asked about is how often do you change the lancing needle? if it's blunt it's gonna hurt!

The other thing is to think about using a CGM type device - the Libre would reduce the need to finger prick to check levels.

Reactions: 4 people

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have less nerve ending on the sides of your finger tips than in the middle/front tip - so hopefully it wouldn't hurt as much. Also you use index finger and thumb a lot more than the rest of your fingers so keep them as a last resort.

One thing no ones asked about is how often do you change the lancing needle? if it's blunt it's gonna hurt!

The other thing is to think about using a CGM type device - the Libre would reduce the need to finger prick to check levels.

I make sure I change my needle every day, I'm trying really hard to remember which hand I'm using day to day and which finger too so that's probably not helping. I always keep to the sides and tend to stay away from my fore finger and thumb, I guess in time I'll get better at it.

Reactions: 2 people

Tarabas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try a schema like: left hand on odd days, right on the other. Or day one of the week, finger one, day two...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I make sure I change my needle every day, I'm trying really hard to remember which hand I'm using day to day and which finger too so that's probably not helping. I always keep to the sides and tend to stay away from my fore finger and thumb, I guess in time I'll get better at it.
Some good advice here. I've been T1D for close to 40 years & my fingers are fine. Using only the sides of my 2 middle fingers have caused the skin there to toughen up, which makes it much less painful! As a matter of fact, it's worked so well, I can use the same lancet for a long time.

*NOTE to everyone! Using alcohol prior to testing DOES NOT ELIMINATE ANY SUGAR! It will kill the germs, but if you have any sugar on your fingers, it will affect your result! Dramatically! Washing with warm soapy water is all you need to do.

Finally, I would recommend - for everyone using insulin - to get on a CGM ASAP. I use Dexcom & just upgraded to the G5, which allows you to share your results with others via smart phones/devices. This is great for parents or others caring for T1D kids or elderly. You can also download their app & access your BGs on your Android or iPhone, or any other smart device! Also, purchase Dr. Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing. (There's a free chapter online, & the book costs about $30,) Sugar surfing has changed my life. Dropped from an A1C of 7.8 to 5.7 in less than 2 months! I am sharing this with everyone who's diabetic or knows anyone who is.

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've switched to pricking the back of my fingers (just underneath the nail) after reading Dr Bernstein's diabetic solution. I have to use the a low setting on the pricker but pleased to say the hard skin on my fingertips has completely disappeared.