1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

finger pricking problems

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by lauren_gee_x, Nov 28, 2011.

1. lauren_gee_x

lauren_gee_x · Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem getting blood from their finger when doing a test. Over the past week or so theres barely anything coming out of my fingers, is there anything i can do to make it wasier, ive got my lancet set to the top depth and still reallt struggling having to squeeze my fingers for at least a minute before i get anything.
    Can anyone help ?

2. Sue o2

Sue o2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren,
    maybe try washing hands first in hot water, i find that helps,
    Sue

3. lauren_gee_x

Hi Sue yeah tried that aswell even today when trying to get bloods done it was the same problem its as if my body thinks it doesnt have enough blood to give some out. Its quite a strange thing lol xx

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Lauren,

Try changing the finger pricker, might just be the mechanism is faulty and your not getting the right depth to penetrate the skin.

Nigel

5. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren, I get this all the time. I do the hot water, maximum depth and push hard against the skin. It goes deep enough because it hurts, but still no blood! If I cut myself by accident I get all excited and do a blood test! :lolno: Think you just have to find different parts of the finger - I get more blood if I go round more towards the pad.

6. RussG

RussG · Well-Known Member

It's always harder to get blood out when your hands are cold hence people saying wash in hot water - try putting your hand on a warm radiator, or in your armpit for a minute.

Where are you pricking your fingers? It should generally be on the sides of the finger, not the pads but try moving it around. I always find the sides of my thumbs are pretty reliable and don't hurt as much as other fingers.

7. Grazer

Do you know, I've never tried a thumb! Must give it a go.

8. Dougie22

Dougie22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Since diagnosis at Easter, I've not had any problems getting blood from the side of my pinkie or the next one up but this week I've struggled a few times. I always give them a rinse in hot water before starting.

I think it might be the colder weather. I'm going to try giving them a longer soak in hottish water and see how I get on.

9. Grazer

Also think that after a while the skin hardens up or something, scar tissue?, and it gets more difficult

10. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

I rarely have problems getting blood out. I think it's because I take a cardio aspirin which has the side effect of making me bruise easily and allows the blood to flow well. I have found though that if I prick too far to the side of the finger I can't get any blood out.

11. lauren_gee_x

I think this could be what the problem is as after 15 years the skin on my fingers is really hard..

Thanks everyine Ive tried most of the things suggested above so I guess I'll just need to put up with it :dxx

12. bernie.freeman

bernie.freeman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find if I rub my fingers or thumbs briskley, I don't have a problem getting blood out .
    Bernie xx
    :crazy:

13. lauren_gee_x

hi Bernie

Ive tried that tbh some days are better than other but today there was absolutely nothing i ended up hurting my finger squeezing it so much lol xx

14. RussG

RussG · Well-Known Member

Have you tried using hand cream to soften the skin?

15. lauren_gee_x

Hi russ
    Yeah tried hand cream it makes the skin slightly sofeter but doesnt help with the blood flow

16. Welsh Dragon

Welsh Dragon Type 2 · Newbie

Try holding your hand and arm down for a while so that blood flows that direction. My daughter is a nurse and she suggested this.

17. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

Have you tried 'alternative-site' lancing? If you still have your test kit instructions, read through it for details. You will probably need a different head to your lancing device, but a quick e-mail/phone call to the manufacturer will usually get one sent by return of post, but more likely, a completely new lancer with the 'alternative-site' head included.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook