finger pricking problems

lauren_gee_x

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem getting blood from their finger when doing a test. Over the past week or so theres barely anything coming out of my fingers, is there anything i can do to make it wasier, ive got my lancet set to the top depth and still reallt struggling having to squeeze my fingers for at least a minute before i get anything.
Can anyone help ?

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Lauren,
maybe try washing hands first in hot water, i find that helps,
Sue

lauren_gee_x

Hi Sue yeah tried that aswell even today when trying to get bloods done it was the same problem its as if my body thinks it doesnt have enough blood to give some out. Its quite a strange thing lol xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lauren,

Try changing the finger pricker, might just be the mechanism is faulty and your not getting the right depth to penetrate the skin.

Nigel

Grazer

Hi Lauren, I get this all the time. I do the hot water, maximum depth and push hard against the skin. It goes deep enough because it hurts, but still no blood! If I cut myself by accident I get all excited and do a blood test! :lolno: Think you just have to find different parts of the finger - I get more blood if I go round more towards the pad.

RussG

It's always harder to get blood out when your hands are cold hence people saying wash in hot water - try putting your hand on a warm radiator, or in your armpit for a minute.

Where are you pricking your fingers? It should generally be on the sides of the finger, not the pads but try moving it around. I always find the sides of my thumbs are pretty reliable and don't hurt as much as other fingers.

Grazer

RussG said:
I always find the sides of my thumbs are pretty reliable and don't hurt as much as other fingers.

Do you know, I've never tried a thumb! Must give it a go.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Since diagnosis at Easter, I've not had any problems getting blood from the side of my pinkie or the next one up but this week I've struggled a few times. I always give them a rinse in hot water before starting.

I think it might be the colder weather. I'm going to try giving them a longer soak in hottish water and see how I get on.

Grazer

Dougie22 said:
Since diagnosis at Easter, I've not had any problems getting blood from the side of my pinkie or the next one up but this week I've struggled a few times. I always give them a rinse in hot water before starting.

I think it might be the colder weather. I'm going to try giving them a longer soak in hottish water and see how I get on.

Also think that after a while the skin hardens up or something, scar tissue?, and it gets more difficult

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I rarely have problems getting blood out. I think it's because I take a cardio aspirin which has the side effect of making me bruise easily and allows the blood to flow well. I have found though that if I prick too far to the side of the finger I can't get any blood out.

lauren_gee_x

Grazer said:
Dougie22 said:

Also think that after a while the skin hardens up or something, scar tissue?, and it gets more difficult

I think this could be what the problem is as after 15 years the skin on my fingers is really hard..

Thanks everyine Ive tried most of the things suggested above so I guess I'll just need to put up with it :dxx

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I find if I rub my fingers or thumbs briskley, I don't have a problem getting blood out .
Bernie xx
:crazy:

lauren_gee_x

hi Bernie

Ive tried that tbh some days are better than other but today there was absolutely nothing i ended up hurting my finger squeezing it so much lol xx

W

Welsh Dragon

Try holding your hand and arm down for a while so that blood flows that direction. My daughter is a nurse and she suggested this.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Have you tried 'alternative-site' lancing? If you still have your test kit instructions, read through it for details. You will probably need a different head to your lancing device, but a quick e-mail/phone call to the manufacturer will usually get one sent by return of post, but more likely, a completely new lancer with the 'alternative-site' head included.