mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi, very recently diagnosed 3 days ago . Currently employed as Crew Manager with Defence Fire Service on a USAFE American Air Base . Also employed with local authority fire service . I am LGV driver and EFAD ( blue light ) driver . Does anyone know if diabetes could effect my career ? Still not sure if type 1 or 2 yet . Thanks

onthegow

Hi there.
Hgv drivers lose that qualification if type 1 and can retain if type 2. You have to provide reading if you are type one for at least 3 months. Can be more. I use to be hgv licence holder but let it go. May try again to get it back. You end up with 3 yr restricted licence from the dvla. With regards to your job your occ health will decide I believe the fire service have a comprehensive policy in the uk for driving and working etc. driving with blue light will also come under that. I'm sure once you have a full diagnosis things will fall into place. Good luck.

lynde89

Hi Mo,

A bit off topic, but after commenting in another post of yours about saying ill keep an eye out & wave if a saw a fire engine as I think you're local to me. I just saw this thread in the new bit. Depending on which base you work on I may have seen you about! Haha. My husband works on one of the main ones in Cambs. May have also seen you if you were on duty at Bob 'the dogs' Football game the other weekend as we were doing one of the stalls? Small world?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you UK MO the rower?

If so I'm Dave the Ref.

Good to see you over here as well.

fireant4

I'm a firefighter in London been in service 13 years had type one last two years, after short time off (maybe a month) apart from that its fine to be in the job! Don't worry about it as you find you probably fitter the some in the service ( think of the over weight, old, high blood pressure, in fit people that are on some watches)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Month, as an existing member of staff, I feel that the fire service are obligated to provide you a duty of care.

As you know what happened with me, it is never a problem with any of my complaints and making medical appointments, etc. Every wednesday morning I'm at the clinic for my anti_coag blood tests. My boss has said he trusts and expects me to deal with myself as a manager, which is good. I still have to get the job done though and never leave work/analysis requests incomplete before going home once it has been started. Especially on Friday, so it's a two one street. Hang in there bud, you'll be fine.
It may impact on your driving side in that you have to test every so often and be above a certain level. Are you usually outdoors or office-based. Has any senior officer spoken to you about your situation, or is it just 'other duties' for now?