First Annual Review

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Hey fellow diabetics.

Many of you may have read about my struggle when diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, good news is I've gotten used to it and have it under very good control.

Don't get me wrong I still get the odd occasion when I hate myself for having it and hate my life but this is just emotional problems.

Had my first annual review last week. My hbc was 5.6% which is very good as this way my first review since diagonised last December. I've been told 5.6 is very good, can anyone explain/advice on this please.

Also my eyes, feet, blood pressure etc was also very good. They were very pleased :)

Thanks for listening

Matthew Edwards
20 years of age
Type 1 Diabetic

leggott

Well done you. All your hard work has paid off. Your HBA1c is excellent and it sounds like you are taking the condition seriously and not letting it take over you.

Of course you will feel emotional sometimes and have good and bad days, but with a positive attitude and determination you will deal with this.

You should be chuffed to bits!

Tyke

Fantastic Matthew you have every reason to be proud of all your efforts. I agree wholeheartedly with Leggott re good and bad times, but you have made such a fantastic start, well done!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Well done Matt. A great result after all your persistence and hard work ......

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Matthew1990 said:
Hey fellow diabetics.

Many of you may have read about my struggle when diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, good news is I've gotten used to it and have it under very good control.

Don't get me wrong I still get the odd occasion when I hate myself for having it and hate my life but this is just emotional problems.

Had my first annual review last week. My hbc was 5.6% which is very good as this way my first review since diagonised last December. I've been told 5.6 is very good, can anyone explain/advice on this please.

Also my eyes, feet, blood pressure etc was also very good. They were very pleased :)

Thanks for listening

Matthew Edwards
20 years of age
Type 1 Diabetic

Hi,

Excellent HBa1c, i do believe that translates to an average BG of 5.6mmol funnily enough! (there is a convertor of HBA1c to Blood Glucose in mmol on the website in the toolbox)

It means if you are able to acheive a HBA1c of 5.6% without too many hypo's it indicates that you are very well controlled.

Hba1c is an overall look of your diabetes control over the past 90 days (ish)

Sounds like your getting everything looked at that you should have, they should have also either asked you beforehand to bring a urine sample, or given you a pot to take to the path lab or your GP to test your kidney function. (has to be the first pee of the day)

They should check your feet and injection sites too, eyes aren't too important at your review as you should get invited to a retinal screening annually aswell as check ups at your opticians.

Everyone struggles every now and then but getting past that and getting a result like yours is fantastic you should be proud (i know i would be :lol: )

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brilliant result, providing that hypo's aren't too frequent.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is a fantastic result, you should be very pleased with yourself, well done :)

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Yes I done a urine sample and had blood taken prior to the review.

Not many hypo's very very very rarely. All good and I just hope I can carry on and lead a normal long healthy happy life until I'm really old and grumpy! :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Matthew1990 said:
Yes I done a urine sample and had blood taken prior to the review.

Not many hypo's very very very rarely. All good and I just hope I can carry on and lead a normal long healthy happy life until I'm really old and grumpy! :)

That's great then! :) if you can get 5.6% with no hypo's thats really really good!

haha, i'm sure you will lead a long happy healthy life, hopefully not grumpy though :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Matthew1990 said:

That is exactly what we are aiming for Matthew! :D

Well done on a fantastic result and long may it continue.

Nigel