1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

First Diabetes related accident :(

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by CDM9, Aug 26, 2015.

1. CDM9

CDM9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had type 1 for 17 years and touch wood never had a really serious hospitalised / pass out hypo - don't get me wrong I've had a few very low but manage to recover and nothing like Sunday eve ... I must have known I was low as went to the loo and must have passed out briefly then fell into the shower cut my head on metal corners and woke up in a pool of blood, ended up in a and e having 2 big cuts glued and now have a big black eye .... Checked my machine and I must have just checked just before I fell and was 1.1..... Not sure how I could have prevented that one it just took hold fast, horrible, and now I'll have a permanent reminder ... 2 fat scars :( could have been worse I suppose...I just hope it never happens again. My levels shot up to 19 afterwards funny it must have been the trauma?! I always worried about a coma but I woke up after I fell ?!

2. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Really sorry to hear that.
    You should get checked out for possible head injury. If you don't, be very alert for the signs of concussion. Tell someone who lives with you to watch as well.
    The high of 19 is probably the rebound from all the glycogen dumped into your body by adrenalin. And yes, if your meter was reading 1.1, there was nothing you could have done at that point.
    Glad you are ok.

• Like Like x 9
  3. CDM9

CDM9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. Hospital checked blood pressure and pupils etc and my friend was staying so all was ok. I've had a 0.9 a long long time ago - years back now after stupidly injecting insulin after a night out boozing and eating chips thinking I would need it - managed to pull that one back just, thank god!!!!! But not this time :( Will keep me more alert now tho but is defo scary!! I live alone but have a Labrador - some medical assistance dog she is ... She was fast asleep during the event ha!!

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh golly, poor you, the scars will fade but fortunately you are ok.

As long as you know the reasons why then take it as a lesson to learn and hopefully avoid in the future. Unfortunately I think we lose a large chunk of common sense when we go that low and get tunnel vision, I have been at 1.9 and felt like I was in slow motion trying to get to my glucose stores, so as you said it can happen so suddenly, particularly when your heading south as it is..

Just tell everyone that the other guy came out far worse off :p

• Like Like x 2
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Scary experience @CDM9 but as you say it could have been much much worse. Hope you make a full recovery.

• Like Like x 4
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

What a frightening experience. Hypos are bad enough without injuring yourself too. I hope you're feeling better soon, physically and emotionally. A hypo like that can leave you feeling shaken for some time after, I found.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So relieved to hear you are ok. This is a reminder for me of how much harder diabetes is for people who need insulin.

I've had concussion several times (I'm accident-prone, lol). Signs are headaches, irritability, memory difficulties, intolerance of TV or bright lights, and fatigue. Even a little knock can cause concussion. Take care.

8. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Re coma comment -when very low your body will react and for a while bring your glucose higher - as I'm sure your aware keep some sugary drink and or Jelly babies by your bed. Do A blood test if feel groggy before you stand up. Glad your ok. (My last serious hypo was over 30 years ago when insulin changed from animal, resulting in car accident/ loss of license.! )

9. Aginoth

Aginoth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ouch, I hope you recover quickly.

10. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh wow, thats crazy!

I am glad to hear that you came out of it by yourself, and there's not major damage. Take care of your self!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook