First diagnosed T1

Gaztheoldpunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, anyone remember what lead up to being diagnosed T1? I can remember it very well even tho it was 32 year's ago. 1984, 18 year's old and was applying to join the Royal Navy everything was going ok, just the medical to pass & I was in.. unfortunately the urine test they used lit up like a Xmas tree!! Fail.. but they just told me to see my doctor, didn't say why. So, I went to my doctors the day after, same result with the urine test but no explanation, just sent for a blood test at the hospital that same day, come back for the results the next day.. anyway, went back, was duly given a letter to take to the hospital.. still not told why!! Within 4 hours of arriving, drip in my arm, pumped up full of insulin, ( I only weighed 7 stone at the time) and only then, this big Scottish consultant declared... "ah Mr Whitehead, a bolt from the blue for us... you have diabetes!!" Sorry for droning on bit I still remember it like it was yesterday... anyone else??

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, and your story makes me feel grateful it has only occurred this past week - just 2 years retired at 67.
A bolt out of the blue - eating well, no family history at all.
Lost weight with no effort (making wife jealous), thirsty thinking the heating was too high.....
First injection today so getting used to it.
Have you found it easy to adapt your lifestyle?
Are you feeling better for the treatment?
Paul

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i was 19 when diagnosed, i wasn't feeling to great but went on with my day as it was the weekend i had to go to the out of hour drs who finger pricked me and said hi, he retryed and it said hi.
next thing i know im told i need to be addmited to medical emergancy unit, so i was there for a day they came back with my results and said my sugar was 50 then 40 so don't know what one it was, i'm told im diabetic and i'd be going on a dibetic ward for training to use insulin was in for 3 days :)

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diagnosed in January aged 22, started drinking a fair bit of water about 3 months before, had a few infections, eye, toe etc. The week leading up to being diagnosed my face started to sink in, with protruding lips and bulging eyes and a grey skin tone (think Freddie Mercury in his last video). struggled to get my breathe just walking into another room. Only when I vomited blood did I go to a&e, where they found out my ketones read hi along with a high blood sugar, had DKA.
The only way I realised I lost weight was I got engaged in Christmas Eve and my ring fit perfectly. 2 weeks later it hanging off me. Never expected it, no family history but I felt so ill I was just glad I finally knew what was wrong

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 9 years old, 23rd of December 1997. I had been increasingly thirsty in the 5 or so weeks leading up to Christmas. I had just done a sports day during the holidays, I had asked my mum to bring me a drink when I finished, she forgot. I was really really upset because I was so thirsty! My mum is also type one diabetic, she tested my blood when I got home, 28.6mmol I remember it like it was yesterday. I knew exactly what it meant, having looked after my mum during many hypos and hypers throughout the years...

An appointment with the doctor, who didn't even test, he said anything that high is a sure fire type one diabetic and for her to bring me straight to children's ward. Thankfully mum had caught me earlier enough that I didn't need a drip, just starting on insulin injections straight away. A stay over night in hospital, but because mum was diabetic I was allowed home for Christmas and had to go back in on the 27th. I mastered my injections myself before leaving hospital, mum asked me what I wanted as a treat for handling everything so well! I wanted my ears pierced. More needles! Must have been mad!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Raging thirst that couldn't be quenched which resulted in non-stop toilet visits, felt drained due to the toilet trips through the night and lost some weight too so my mother said to go the Dr's, they tested my wee said I had diabetes and the hospital would be in touch, 3 days later was admitted and spent a week there getting use to injections, urine testing and counting carbs in the old exchange method.

Felt great for starting on insulin but it all hit me on my return home, remember having a cry on my first night home and that is the last time I've got so upset about having diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I remember it like it was yesterday, aged 31 with two children, glad it wasn't or I would now give my Ex a great big kick up the backside,
(as I became ill with the shock and the upset when he walked out ) and subsequently diagnosed with type 1, the rat bag ...................... :mad::rolleyes:

Libby1726

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed when I was 11 in 1963. 53 years later I can still remember, being thirsty all the time, hiding bottles of water in my bedroom to drink through the night. Losing weight Mum thought it was puberty. I was admitted to hospital for test where I stayed for 2 weeks. I was taught to inject using a orange. Mum had to inject a nurse. I was sent home with a glass syringe and needles. Which we had to boil every day. I had wee into a test tube drop a tablet in and wait to see what colour it went. On a very plus side. My children were born in 1975 & 76. I was very well looked after being admitted at 32 weeks. Giving birth at 38 weeks. Phew, I need to write a book!!

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2014 21st July had a hip operation three weeks before. Started losing weight very tired next thing ambulance itu. Dka twice and many hospital visits. Once was diagnosed had various systems years before but only got tested for iron deficiency!!! Maybe should of pushed more for tests maybe would not of got so bad who knows eh??