First HBA1c after starting on pump

bonerp

I'm gutted! :(

Its 8.9!!! What makes it worse is that its gone up since my last one on MDI last sept at 8.7!

Permission to say ****.

To say its a blow is an understatement. I thought overall my BGs were not too bad. Still have too many hypos so need to concentrate on getting these under control as the bouncing effect doesnt help - I'm sure a hypo knocks things out for a day!

Any advice will be much appreciated cos I feel like I'm not winning now!!!
Paul

bonerp

yeah I will try that Sarah. Gonna download all the info on Sunday and have a good look at whats going on!

Not got the book so may have a look for that. Where did you source yours?

Whats strange is that my retinopathy has stabilised for the first time in years lol!!! Weird or what!? How can HB1 indicate poor control but my eyes (the first thing to go if poor control is evident) are improving!!!

Paul

iHs

Paul

You can get Pumping Insulin - John Walsh on eBay lol as well

It might be the action of your insulin that's causing you not to have the control you want. Are you using Novorapid?

iHs

Yes of course you're quite right Sarah.

Just in case though Paul that you still can't get things right following Sarah's advice, you should think about maybe fine tuning your carb intake a bit and say instead of eating 30g carb, only eat 28 or 33 (that type of thing). Sometimes, that can make one huge difference when you can't make insulin act for you the way you want.

Failing that, ask may be about changing to another insulin like Humalog or Apidra. I know from being a member of IP for a few years, many have complained about Novorapid's action being too slow. I think though that although it may be a bit slow to get going (causing the rise up in bg), it has a bit of a sting in its tail and then causes the hypos.