First hypo

annettekp

Yesterday I ventured into town to do some much needed shopping for the first time since Erland was diagnosed with diabetes. He was in his buggy and grumping a bit but as it was his nap time I wasn't surprised. Was surprised when I checked his finger and discovered he was 1.4 he's been so high ever since diagnosis that it didn't even occur to me that it could happen. Felt awful that I hadn't seen any signs that should have triggered a response from me sooner. Putting it down to lack of sleep and the cold weather.

But steep learning curve. I did have juice with me to give him and nipped into Tesco for a sandwich for him and he was ok within half an hour but still felt guilty.

It had to happen but just wish it hadn't been away from home.

Annette

leggott

Hi, Don't feel guilty. How were you to know, especially in a child so young. My children are older and still sometimes i don't notice when they are low. One of the signs can be being a bit irritable & grumpy, having said that young children can often get like that when they are tired. At least you had something to treat the hypo - i''ve often left home forgetting the glucose tabs! Leggott

hismom

hi,
I did the same with my 13 year old (which should have been easier to spot). I just thought he was having a teenage strop. When we tested he was 1.6. Since I check first assume after. We have a bag ready packed to leave the house with. It contains gluco gel,dextrose and digestive biscuits.

steph

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
For a first hypo he certainly had a doozie. Good work having the juice and not panicking. I also have a bag packed all the time with monitor, food, glucose powder/gel, hypo kit and plastic spoons. Somehow I manage to fit in a few nappies, wipes and a change of clothes.

Thinking about your lack of sleep reminds me of once thinking the meter said 1.9 and treating a hypo at 2am only to find out in the morning (going through the memory) that he was actually 6.1. I had the meter upside-down. :lol:

Don't feel guilty. Hypos are a part of being on insulin. You wouldn't have been given all that training if it wasn't ever going to happen.

annettekp

Thanks for replying.

I've just bought myself a new bigger handbag to carry all the extra stuff (like I needed and excuse!) Got glucogel, fruit juice, biscuits, testing kit etc.

Do bananas count as a good snack after a hypo?

Annette

leggott

Hi, After you've treated the hypo it best to do a blood check after 15 mins to check the blood level. You may then want to give something slower realeasing like a banana in case the blood sugar drops further as it may be a long time before the next meal. Having said that bananas are high in carb so you may find your child only needs a little bit otherwise too much may result in their blood sugar going too high. You will probably find in a child of that age you only need a small amount of sugar to correct a hypo. I tend to give my kids jelly babies to treat a hypo and I find that one jelly baby which is 5g of carb will increase their blood by 3mmol. Hope this helps. Leggott