First of many questions!

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by my diabetic GP on friday that I have diabetes, I have to wait for confirmation on moday morning as that will be the when the results come back from the hospital,

My finger prick test on friday measured 16.9 & I have been given Zicron to take over the weekend, hopefully come tomorrow & another prick test will show its reduced, from what I understand a lowered BG will mean type 2 rather than type 1, I have had a peptide test but the results of that might not be back on monday,

My first question about the rather confusing diets! I was given the usual NHS advice regarding diet etc but over the weekend have been reading up on various others, low carb, no carb etc
Would it be deemed sensible to start on the NHS advice meaning eating cereal for breakfast, wholemeal sandwich type thing for lunch then lean protein with jacket spud & veggies for an evening meal, but if that doesn't not lower the BG then to follow on to the low carb diet?

I dare say once its all sunk in & I am no longer feeling stunned about the situation I will be in a better position to make the appropriate choices but at the moment I just feeling I need to be told what to do if that makes sense!

Grazer

We wouldn't want to contradict anything the doctor may say; we don't know any underlying medical issues you may have, what meds you may be put on, etc. However, daisy's post to newcomers is good basic advice,
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088
and most of us here follow a lower carbohydrate diet, with low GI carbs eaten in reasonable quantities rather than some of the advice we get from SOME doctors/nurses etc. Personally, I focus very much on getting the sugar levels down, on the basis that everything else looks after itself then. That means I don't fuss about fat too much (although try to use the so-called healthy fats where possible) as fats don't raise your blood sugar (BG) Despite this, I've lost nearly 2 stone and my cholesterol has come DOWN from 5.5 to 3.8 My blood pressure is much improved as is my pulse rate through general fitness. So, lower carbs, low GI and exercise works for me, might not for everyone.
Good luck and keep in touch.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
helen louise
on the subject of diet.I think the medical profesion work on "what is easy to achieve" and will take minimum effort and dedication on the part of the patient.
Those of us who are diabetics and post on this board are dedicated to looking after and taking responsibility for our health and many of us have found that controlling carb intake helps with this and minimises the amount of medication that we need to keep our numbers right.
In addition, I always remember that ALL medicatio has side effects.
Hana

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Much appreciated

My next question is..........

Are there any guidelines or a starter carb amount per day then adjust as it suits you?
I wouldn't know if 100 or 1000 is correct!

Grazer

There's no correct figure. We're all different. Personally, I think starting at 50% of guideline amounts (125 grams carbs per day for a woman) then adjusting up or down according to results as tested is a good place to start. Give it a couple of weeks after starting to give BGs a chance to settle down before adjusting. Others start very low which might be right if you have a lot of weight to lose. Each to their own. I think it's best to get into a diet you can live with for life; diabetes is for life. Hence my starting at 50% to see if it works.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
i started with just cutting back a bit, then got pretty strict with avoiding nearly all carbs. No w I sometimes allow myself a treat. I am having a little Burgen bread at the moment. I have one slice[ about 20 carbs] before going to the gym some days. I hope the exercise will cancel it out. It seems to work for me
Hana

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Helen, I think its research which you will feel compelled to do, then you will be educated and find out what works for you.
I think I have stumped the DN, I dont eat pastry, puddings, cakes, biscuits, I dont drink fizzy sugary stuff. I'm a veggie and have been for 5 yrs now. The only thing she could suggest was not to take honey on my oats but I only do that once a flood.
Back for a visit tomoorow heyho
Good luck

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All trial & error I day say!

Tad confused about the info on the back of a packet of shredded greens I've bought today!
not something I normally buy but on the back its that 100gms of it supplies 3.8gms of carb yet 1/2 a packet which weighs 175gms has only 3.3gms carbs :crazy:

Where do you buy Burgen bread from?

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Iceland also sell it, usually £1 a loaf.

Ann

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
helen louise said:
All trial & error I day say!
Tad confused about the info on the back of a packet of shredded greens I've bought today!

Yes they don't make it easy. It maybe they are giving you cooked and uncooked values, some brands ONLY give you the cooked amounts for rice and pasta or whatever so that their carb count looks really low because its absorbed loads of zero carb water! Some brands give you both and some brands give a mixture! For white rice and white pasta I would assume 75g carb / 100g dry weight. If you do that but actually eat brown basmati rice and brown or tri colour pasta you should be overstating the carb count which is ok.

I do all carb counting on dry weights / 100g. or if things are obvious by each one (1 small egg, 1 slice of bread etc.)

Useful sites to look things up

http://www.carbohydrate-counter.org/advsearch.php

http://fatsecret.com/ (use the search at the top right of the page)

Always be truthful and overestimate if you're not sure. I went for a low carb less than 50g / day start, got my levels sorted and now do 50g as a base / day and add to it a bit with "experimental" foods. For example I found so long as I eat it with my main evening meal I can eat 150g of fresh fruit salad as pudding so my 50g base rises to 65 ish but it has very little effect on my +2 hour BG reading. If I ate my main meal and then had even one slice of burgen bread (around 11g of carbs) I would go far to high even though I would end up eating less carbs. Not all forms of carbs are equal so you need to experiment and find foods and levels that suit you as everyone is different.

Although dropping you carb count is a necessary thing then let your BG readings tell you what was good and bad rather than specific carb counts or else you could end up with a very restricted diet because you end up ASSUMING you can only eat so many carbs / day.

Helenababe

I get the Burgen bread from Morrisons. You can buy small or large sliced. The large is £1 and small 70p. It doesn't spike me at all.

Helena

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
hanadr said:
I am having a little Burgen bread at the moment. I have one slice[ about 20 carbs]

I dont have a Burgen loaf to hand right now but I am pretty sure that one slice of Burgen = 10.5g of carbs :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
I dont have a Burgen loaf to hand right now but I am pretty sure that one slice of Burgen = 10.5g of carbs :thumbup:

I do, 10.9g according to the wrapper.

I'm still in shock that Hana is eating bread :shock:

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No results from hospital yet :?

Finger prick test this morning at surgery was 17.4, it was 16.9 on friday :(
I've been taking 40mg of zicron since friday
Blood pressure was near normal though,

GP has given me a script for metaformin but I am not allowed to start them until I have the results from (liver/kidney function) I'm supposed to start on one a day for a week then two a day for 2nd week then 3 per day on week 3,

I had a chat about the low carb thing & he has explained because of my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) I have been eating a lot of refined carbs eg white bread, jacket spud without the skin etc so he wants me to change the carbs I am eating to wholegrain types to see how I go with that, if no good we will then look at low carb diets, he himself is a diabetic & on a low carb diet so he isn't against it,

He gave me a BG monitor so I can test myself every morning, if I get towards 20mmol I have to contact the surgery straightaway

The waiting goes on!

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

No the 12.9 was just before dinner,

I took another reading 90 mins after dinner & its gone down to 9.0

Thats some improvement after this mornings 17.4!

Going to take another one just before bed to see if its dropped even more!