First pump review

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
next week is my first 6 month pump review.
very worried. it took me so long to get approval and then had to wait two and half years for the funding and still have to travel outside my area to the nearest pump clinic.
I've worked so hard and don't no what i would do if they took it away..

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your control improved they wont take it away. Stay positive and dont worry :)

Reactions: 3 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your control improved they wont take it away. Stay positive and dont worry :)
my control improved . according to my pump software. should be Hbc1 . 5.6 but I've been through sop much lately i don't wont to turn into a grizzly bear again.:mad:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my control improved . according to my pump software. should be Hbc1 . 5.6 but I've been through sop much lately i don't wont to turn into a grizzly bear again.:mad:
You dont have any reason to worry then. Remember that stress can affect your sugar levels ;-)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
very worried. it took me so long to get approval and then had to wait two and half years for the funding and still have to travel outside my area to the nearest pump clinic.

Most pumps are issued on a four-year warranty; if they took it away from you they'd still be paying something, because they can't just hand your pump onto someone else.

Also, six months is an incredibly short time to baseline someone's progress.

Therefore, I don't think you need to be worried. What you should do, is write out a list of issues your having with your control, what you've been doing to tackle them and also set yourself some targets for the year (e.g. weight, HbA1c, cholesterol, etc.) and how you plan to achieve them... not only will that please the professionals, it will give you something to focus on rather than just past results.

Best wishes.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

They wouldn't take your pump away after only 6 months no matter what the result is, you feel pretty confident that your bg control has improved so try not to worry, good luck.

Reactions: 7 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They won't take it away. It's a threat that almost never is carried out. You have to be a total car crash and have a really bad attitude for them to take it away. So chin up. :)

Reactions: 7 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They won't take it away. It's a threat that almost never is carried out. You have to be a total car crash and have a really bad attitude for them to take it away. So chin up. :)
I got my blood results Friday they all look good .My nurse Nikki saids that my consultant is Dr kang sounds oriental the clues in the name.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only 2 hours to go
appointments at 10 o'clock .... fingers crossed.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Only 2 hours to go
appointments at 10 o'clock .... fingers crossed.

Jot down a list of issues, concerns, questions and YOUR plans and targets for the next 6 - 12 months; it'll keep you focused and enable you to keep control of the session...

Remember, these people see you for perhaps no more than two hours per year to pass 'judgment' on your health - you have another 364 days and 22 hours to live with it.

Reactions: 2 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jot down a list of issues, concerns, questions and YOUR plans and targets for the next 6 - 12 months; it'll keep you focused and enable you to keep control of the session...

Remember, these people see you for perhaps no more than two hours per year to pass 'judgment' on your health - you have another 364 days and 22 hours to live with it.
Just got back from the clinic the consultant was very pleased. (not as much as me}. he just said keep uploading my BG results and keep things the same and the DSN will check them from time to time and call you if there any changes needed.:)

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just got back from the clinic the consultant was very pleased. (not as much as me}. he just said keep uploading my BG results and keep things the same and the DSN will check them from time to time and call you if there any changes needed.:)
Erm hello your consultant doesn't live in this world.
To tell you to keep things the same is as daft an idea as ever there is one. If you need to change things then it's down to you to change it when and if required. You do not need to wait for permission to change basal rates if they need doing. :rolleyes: Obviously your consultant doesn't have a clue as to what high blood sugars feel like or being low on a regular bases.
A pump is just an insulin delivery device just more upmarket than a syringe or pen. As you didn't ring in to ask permission to change your dosage on mdi why would you on a pump?

Really pleased though that you are happy with your results keep up the good work.

Reactions: 5 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Erm hello your consultant doesn't live in this world.
To tell you to keep things the same is as daft an idea as ever there is one. If you need to change things then it's down to you to change it when and if required. You do not need to wait for permission to change basal rates if they need doing. :rolleyes: Obviously your consultant doesn't have a clue as to what high blood sugars feel like or being low on a regular bases.
A pump is just an insulin delivery device just more upmarket than a syringe or pen. As you didn't ring in to ask permission to change your dosage on mdi why would you on a pump?

Really pleased though that you are happy with your results keep up the good work.
i think he means carry on with what i'm doing. I change my basal and bolus all the time allowing for lazy days and illness etc.i tend not to change my carb ratios as they do what need to do i find temp basals very usefully. i don't wait for permission and have allways been encouraged to fine tune unaided .

Reactions: 2 people