First retinopathy check, first the good new then the bad

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday, I went I went for my first retinopathy, visit to the opticians. The optician did all the usual tests, photographs, etc and was 99.9 % happy. with the results, apart from, a small pinpoint dot, on my left retinal

I was quite happy with this, and was even happier, when, she did an eye test. She said " I cant believe it, the power of the lenses needed, has dropped, for the first time, in 49 years". Every year, my glasses, have got, thicker and thicker, to the stage where, they were milling out, the bottles from jam jars. Due to my age, (old) I now also need, an addition, for reading.

Feeling really chuffed, I thanked her dearly, and went into the show room, clutching my prescription, to my chest. I handed it to the chappy, and from then on, the bad news started. He said, "the frames start from £40". Being a scrooge, I said "I will have those", even without seeing them.

Then, my heart. slowly started. to sink,

"you will need, bifocals, or variafocals"
I went for Varafocals

"Do you want Photochromic"

Oh yes please

Then I asked, the dreaded question," and" "how much, will that be"

I found myself, gripping, the chair, tighter and tighter, for fear of running away, as he tapped away, on his calculator

After what seamed, like an eternity, he cleared his throat, and said
Well, due to your prescription, and the substantial "Cyl" value, plus you will need, a "prism" plus, the photochromic lenses, you will need an antiscratch coating, plus the antireflective coating, plus these lenses, only come in the advanced, newer Vaiafocals which are plastic, plus the frames comes to £217.

My heart sank, and I said "do you take Kidney's" sorry Mastercard. I reluctantly paid, and with my piggy bank, now empty, I went home

When I got home, I googled "How to make specs from jam jars" But having eaten, all the jam, my BS would rocket, Then I had to buy, all the machinery ,to mill the jar bottoms, Then I would need, frames to hold ,jam jar bottoms. After working out the calculations, the glasses would keep falling ,forward off my head, because jam jars outway, the plastic arm pieces . Taking all this into account, I think the price appeared ,ok as long as I dont eat, pay the bills, pay the rent, etc etc

So as you can see, what started out, as a good day turned in to, an expensive one

Has anyone else had a similar experience"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Yesterday, I went I went for my first retinopathy, visit to the opticians. The optician did all the usual tests, photographs, etc and was 99.9 happy. with the results, apart from, a small pinpoint dot, on my left retinal

I was quite happy with this, and was even happier, when, she did an eye test. She said " I cant believe it, the power of the lenses needed, has dropped, for the first time, in 49 years". Every year, my glasses, have got, thicker and thicker, to the stage where, they were milling out, the bottles from jam jars. Due to my age, (old) I now also need, an addition, for reading.

Feeling really chuffed, I thanked her dearly, and went into the show room, clutching my prescription, to my chest. I handed it to the chappy, and from then on, the bad news started. He said, "the frames start from £40". Being a scrooge, I said "I will have those", even without seeing them.

I went for Varafocals

Oh yes please

I found myself, gripping, the chair, tighter and tighter, for fear of running away, as he tapped away, on his calculator

Well, due to your prescription, and the substantial "Cyl" value, plus you will need, a "prism" plus, the photochromic lenses, you will need an antiscratch coating, plus the antireflective coating, plus these lenses, only come in the advanced, newer Vaiafocals which are plastic, plus the frames comes to £217.

My heart sank, and I said "do you take Kidney's" sorry Mastercard. I reluctantly paid, and with my piggy bank, now empty, I went home

When I got home, I googled "How to make specs from jam jars" But having eaten, all the jam, my BS would rocket, Then I had to buy, all the machinery ,to mill the jar bottoms, Then I would need, frames to hold ,jam jar bottoms. After working out the calculations, the glasses would keep falling ,forward off my head, because jam jars outway, the plastic arm pieces . Taking all this into account, I think the price appeared ,ok as long as I dont eat, pay the bills, pay the rent, etc etc

So as you can see, what started out, as a good day turned in to, an expensive one

Hmmm ,i got bifocals from them back in the summer ,came to 159quid,but i insisted on only 1 pair then they applied a discount,and i ended up paying 144 quidworth a mention as when you get 1 pair it is cheaper

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I learned my lesson long ago, especially with reading glasses and now buy a cheap pair, my last pair cost £25 and next time I need a prescription I will have new lenses put into the existing frames. Fortunately I only use readers but if I had to wear them all the time I would go for better ones

Reactions: 2 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday, I went I went for my first retinopathy, visit to the opticians. The optician did all the usual tests, photographs, etc and was 99.9 % happy. with the results, apart from, a small pinpoint dot, on my left retinal

I went for Varafocals

Oh yes please

Sorry about the expense, but thank you for the giggle, I needed that today! :cool: