1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

First Successful Weekend Away

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ElkBond, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ElkBond

ElkBond Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Despite a week or two of unstable and spikey blood levels I risked a weekend away.

Saturday I travelled to London for a gig in the eve. I stuffed my girlfriends bag full of snacks just in case, even a glucogel! There was a street food section and I tucked in! Baby back ribs, chilli fries, even half a burger! Nothing was stopping me this evening, had this gig planed since last year!

Guesstimated my units and carbs and I bloody nailed it! No spike whatsoever, it was a steady climb to the 6s and back down.

Even though I was very energetic throughout the gig I only needed two lucozade tablets to bump me up. One of them was a precaution just in case my cgm wasn't reading right.

The next day I spent in the british museum, lots of walking and loads of food again. The whole weekend I didn't get higher than 6.6 and lower than 3.7. I even did a ketone check to make sure there wasn't anything sinister running in the background.

I suppose my moral of my story and what I took from this weekend is that I feel much more free and that diabetes can't change the way we live our lives. :) The odd blowout on food isn't off the cards either (I am a bit of a foodie so this is great news!).

• Like Like x 6
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done, you did the ground work, went prepared and from the sound of it had a great weekend, type 1 doesn't have to rule your life, but when you nail it like this it gives you confidence you can do it (albeit with a little preparation), great post ;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook