First Successful Weekend Away

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Despite a week or two of unstable and spikey blood levels I risked a weekend away.

Saturday I travelled to London for a gig in the eve. I stuffed my girlfriends bag full of snacks just in case, even a glucogel! There was a street food section and I tucked in! Baby back ribs, chilli fries, even half a burger! Nothing was stopping me this evening, had this gig planed since last year!

Guesstimated my units and carbs and I bloody nailed it! No spike whatsoever, it was a steady climb to the 6s and back down.

Even though I was very energetic throughout the gig I only needed two lucozade tablets to bump me up. One of them was a precaution just in case my cgm wasn't reading right.

The next day I spent in the british museum, lots of walking and loads of food again. The whole weekend I didn't get higher than 6.6 and lower than 3.7. I even did a ketone check to make sure there wasn't anything sinister running in the background.

I suppose my moral of my story and what I took from this weekend is that I feel much more free and that diabetes can't change the way we live our lives. :) The odd blowout on food isn't off the cards either (I am a bit of a foodie so this is great news!).

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done, you did the ground work, went prepared and from the sound of it had a great weekend, type 1 doesn't have to rule your life, but when you nail it like this it gives you confidence you can do it (albeit with a little preparation), great post ;)