First Symptoms of Diabetic Foot (Peripheral Neuropathy): Heat & Sweaty Feet?

Randle283

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, 57-year old T2DM sufferer here. Have had it for ~15 years and thought I was maintaining it really well. However, I also suffer from an autoimmune disease (Sjogren's), which does contribute to peripheral neuropathy -- I always tend to forget that. For the most of my 15 years, my HbA1c ranged between 5.3-5.8 on a moderate low-carb diet (80-120 grams) and 1,000mg Metformin. Around 5'-10" / 170 lbs. However, recently, i.e., the last 8 months, fell off the wagon as I had to move to another country and did not have the chance to pursue my typical, usual diet.

About 12 months ago, started noticing that my feet tend to get hot, emit heat and get sweaty (could be that my feet aren't able to regulate temperature well due to PN). For the last 15 years, my feet have been very scaly and the toe nails are infected by fungus, making them very rough and uneven; the scales come off and I have to be careful when I stay at guest houses as people may notice I am leaving around a pile of dead skin.

About 2 months ago, started noticing that my right big toe and the ball of my foot are getting numb. I can feel things there but can definitely sense reduced sensitivity to touch. My left big toe and the ball are very slightly numb; much less there but still ... it could be on the way to potentially losing sensitivity.

Is this the start? I could attribute this to my Sjogren's and hyperglycemia the last 8 months. And I had better straighten out my diet. Have people noticed the loss of temperature control prior to the onset of, or the deepening of, peripheral neuropathy?