First time seeing a Diabetic nurse

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Just been diagnosed with type 2 last week and just about to leave for the appointment with the nurse today and they cancel......
When I do eventually see a nurse what questions do I need to ask?
Appreciate your advice.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
As much as time permits ! How were you diagnosed ? Test results ? Ask for blood glucose monitor ( may or may not get one !), ask for medical prescription exemption, ask if you can go on the DESMOND ( I think ) course, that's a decent start. Others will help with more ! Good luck and keep asking questions and read as much as you can on these forums.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lynnbro

Just diagnosed with type 2 last week BS level on test was 28( subsequent HbA1c was 94) and I have been very unhappy with the support I've had to date. doctor and nurses were shocked at how high I was and I left the surgery in panic mode being told not to eat anything sugary at all! Cholesterol test following day and then sent home with appointment for 2 weeks later! After complaining I saw the diabetic nurse at my practise, was given Metrormin and was just told to eat healthily! I am confused, annoyed and completely unsure as to how to manage. After a further appointment today where she didn't even check my sugar levels! How am i supposed to get to grip with diabetes when i have no mechanism for checking my sugar! Is this what most people get or have I just drawn the short straw. I have asked to see a dietician and been told no.

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Im in the same boat. Told im 8.1/ 50 what goose eggs? No explanation heres metformin make an appointment. No wiser. Certainly no second test to confirm only the 1 test.
I know doctors are hard pressed but it'd been nicer to be told a bit more. My doc mumbled about a diet sheet that he didn't have and then "times up"

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw my DN yesterday complemented me on my knowledge all gained of the forum or main site you need to get them to refer you for a Desmond course,retinal screening and the nurse should conduct a foot assessment ,ask what your Hba1c readings are ,wt and diet questions and you should be down for regular monitoring . Good luck

Richard871

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality tv
Saw a locum nurse yesterday who likes reading about diabetes. So not the diabetic nurse then. Sheesh!

She said I was Hbaic = 50mmols
And 7.48 diabetic A1c

Where does this come in the order of things of how bad to how much I need to bring it down. Testing myself the average on my own meter is 5.7
I have had another blood drawn to test a second time so there's something.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Richard871 said:
Im in the same boat. Told im 8.1/ 50 what goose eggs? No explanation heres metformin make an appointment. No wiser. Certainly no second test to confirm only the 1 test.
I know doctors are hard pressed but it'd been nicer to be told a bit more. My doc mumbled about a diet sheet that he didn't have and then "times up"

That's a common experience. Mine was similar, 'well, it's official, you've got diabetes'. Nothing else. The diabetes nurse is a joke, keeps getting everything mixed up and doesn't even read the notes. It's not just we here who are moaning, Roy Taylor, Professor of Medicine and Metabolism at Newcastle University wrote in Practical Diabetes Journal:

"It must be recorded that many individuals expressed frustration at the routine manner in which their doctor, nurse or dietitian regarded the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. This conflicted with the cataclysmic blow which they personally felt. They were told that the diagnosis was clear and therefore the guidelines will be rolled out. Lose some weight and take this metformin. Get used to it."

This sort of casual and complacent attitude is prevalent in the NHS thesedays. Yesterday Mrs Yorks, who works in a haematology lab, had cause to question a young doctor about a clinical incident whereby a blood sample for cross matching in preparation for a transfusion had been wrongly labelled. It was only because my wife knew the patient was O+ that she queried the result, which was A+. The young doctor, whose name was on the sheet as having taken the sample did not actually take the sample, 'it was my friend who did it for me'. That is against protocol. The 'friend', also a doctor, didn't check the name of the patient from whom the blood was taken, another breach of protocol. There is a reason why patients are issued with wristbands. It transpired that the intended patient had left bed to watch TV and another patient with dementure had got into his bed. The two young doctors thought this extremely funny and appeared oblivious to the consequences of transfusing an O+ person with A+ blood, usually fatal. Their response to my wife informing them that she would have to raise it as a clinical incident was simply to laugh it off as a 'fuss about nothing' as 'no harm was done'. God save us from complacent health professionals.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Drs & nurses need to know that being diagnosed with diabetes comes as a great SHOCK. All the papers are concerned about it - the rise in incidence; the cost to the NHS, the failure of patients to follow the instructions; etc.

When I was diagnosed, Steve Redgrave was winning his Olympic Gold medals, so I wasn't unduly concerned - until my Dr explained ALL the possible complications, including the PROBABILITY of a heart attack. I left the surgery in a state of shock - I had the disease that would kill me. I was afraid NOT to follow the advice they gave me.

That was 12 years ago. Now, at 74 I am fit & well & play tennis & last year won "Olympic" Gold at the Ealing Hospital gym "Olympics."

My secret - DON'T follow the advice given by Drs, nurses & dietitians. I did for 7 1/2 years until I became crippled with neuropathy, & suffered chronic tireness & the beginning of kidney deterioration & retinopathy. TI then found this forum & learned about low carb high fat diet. At once I gave up all the obvious carbohydrates. In 3 months I was out of pain & playing tennis again. 5 years of low carb, high fat & I would not dare go back to the NHS/DUK high carb, low fat diet.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
You have to become your own expert on your condition. None of the professionals learn about T2 diabetes first hand, though, of course, some do develop the condition later.

Get, the recommended blood tests & checks on feet & eyes. ALways ask for a printout or the blood tests. You will learn to interpret them yourself & have a record of the progress of your condition. Learn the significance of blood urine test readings, particularly those highlighted.

I get enough test strips to test first thing every morning, & occasionally several times through the day, particularly when driving or physical activity. That way I can see a trend.My meter average gives a good indication of the HbA1c reading as %. I refuse the new units which bear no resemblance to the meter readings.

Also get to know your pharmacist. They are likely to be more approachable than a Dr.

Hope that helps.