First week of using my Blood Glucose Meter

Dave from Weeton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following a diagnosis of diabetes on 22 January (HbA1c 49) I started a Low Carb diet after reading Dr David Cavan's book Reverse your Diabetes and posted for help and advice, including when and how should I test. Many helpful responses clarified many issues and my diet quickly became a LCHF diet, however increasing uncertainty over whether I had made the right choices combined with almost all responses saying I should test sooner than later I took the plunge and ordered the SD Codefree Meter.

After checking the site guide and threads, especially Eat to Your Meter, I took my first reading on waking last Saturday and got a reading 5.5. Hoping this was good I posted the result in What was your fast blood glucose number this am?? and quickly got a very positive response. Thank you Prem51.

Most mornings I now post my waking reading with 5 coming in between 5.4 and 6.1. The three above (6.7 - 7.7) are either higher or only slightly above the highest reading the previous day. Maybe it is the dawn phenomenon that I have read about or it could be related to the so called 'better' carbs I have been trying such as basmati rice etc? While these latter foods do not give a high spike at 2 hrs my bs can remain elevated at the same or higher rate 4 or more hours later. I have notice a cumulative affect across meals and on one occasion I had a reading of 9 even though everything was either low carb or low GI.

Yet quick acting and high spiking food usually clears by 4 hours - although I was surprised at the effect of so called 'healthy' instant porridge. A 27g packet containing 15.9g of carbs raised my bs from 5.4 to 7.5 after two hours and was still at 6.5 five hours later even though I have found that if I do not eat for 4 to 6 hours my reading falls to about 5.5.

Anyway it is clear that my meter is making a difference as it has identified carbs that work for me. Burgen Bread (soya and linseed) seems to add around 0.3 a slice and Baxters have brought out a new range of healthy soups under the Hearty label and these have little affect over 2/4 hours - good for lunches at work.

As 4ratbags pointed out it has turned out to be my "best purchase ever". It's clear now the effect that various foods are having on me. Thank you;)

Reactions: 17 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done.. I wish my FBG was that level.. I still get mainly 6's even after fasting days.. obviously more weight to shift before I can get back to "normal"

Reactions: 11 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Brilliant post Dave, pleased to hear you have settled into using your meter, and see how beneficial it is. Now you're learning which foods have a bad effect on you personally, you can avoid them, and build a diet which helps to control your diabetes.:)

Reactions: 5 people

zacthedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injections,
I know a few T2's that do not own meter let alone test! I personally can't see how they can go on not knowing what their body is doing, knowledge is power, and knowing what effect what i put in my system is mine and your number one tool. Good luck and happy mmol's.

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Following a diagnosis of diabetes on 22 January (HbA1c 49) I started a Low Carb diet after reading Dr David Cavan's book Reverse your Diabetes and posted for help and advice, including when and how should I test. Many helpful responses clarified many issues and my diet quickly became a LCHF diet, however increasing uncertainty over whether I had made the right choices combined with almost all responses saying I should test sooner than later I took the plunge and ordered the SD Codefree Meter.

After checking the site guide and threads, especially Eat to Your Meter, I took my first reading on waking last Saturday and got a reading 5.5. Hoping this was good I posted the result in What was your fast blood glucose number this am?? and quickly got a very positive response. Thank you Prem51.

Most mornings I now post my waking reading with 5 coming in between 5.4 and 6.1. The three above (6.7 - 7.7) are either higher or only slightly above the highest reading the previous day. Maybe it is the dawn phenomenon that I have read about or it could be related to the so called 'better' carbs I have been trying such as basmati rice etc? While these latter foods do not give a high spike at 2 hrs my bs can remain elevated at the same or higher rate 4 or more hours later. I have notice a cumulative affect across meals and on one occasion I had a reading of 9 even though everything was either low carb or low GI.

Yet quick acting and high spiking food usually clears by 4 hours - although I was surprised at the effect of so called 'healthy' instant porridge. A 27g packet containing 15.9g of carbs raised my bs from 5.4 to 7.5 after two hours and was still at 6.5 five hours later even though I have found that if I do not eat for 4 to 6 hours my reading falls to about 5.5.

Anyway it is clear that my meter is making a difference as it has identified carbs that work for me. Burgen Bread (soya and linseed) seems to add around 0.3 a slice and Baxters have brought out a new range of healthy soups under the Hearty label and these have little affect over 2/4 hours - good for lunches at work.

As 4ratbags pointed out it has turned out to be my "best purchase ever". It's clear now the effect that various foods are having on me. Thank you;)
Best thing I ever did too. Got a meter soon after my pre-diabetes diagnosis. Found out about DCUK had a good old read and at my annual review I was given results in the "normal" range. Due my next HbA1c now and it might have gone up a bit as I got a bit lax about testing (which also led to me snacking.....if I'm in my 2hours between eating and testing I know I can't snack as it will affect results)
Anyhow, getting my act together with my trusty little meter again now.

Reactions: 4 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
A meter in s a great tool What I find puzling is that foods that are in the accepted NICE wisdom as being major avoids for diabetics are in fact nowhere near as bad for blood glucose readings as the foods they encourage one to eat.

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well done on taking control of your diabetes. Great work

Dave from Weeton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A meter in s a great tool What I find puzling is that foods that are in the accepted NICE wisdom as being major avoids for diabetics are in fact nowhere near as bad for blood glucose readings as the foods they encourage one to eat.

Yes I have been rather shocked myself at the food that is recommended by the NHS for diabetics or even for controlling blood pressure. I tried to loss weight but never managed to make much of a difference that lasted.

I switched to porridge, so called 'good' carbs and cut out most red meat about 8 years ago when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure following an appointment with an NHS dietitian. So a bowl of porridge, some juice, occasionally a slice or two of wholemeal toast along with a banana or orange would be get me through to my lunch when working. This would usually consist of butties made with wholemeal bread. The affect on my blood glucose must have been devastating and no doubt my readings after lunch would have been sky high. For years I complained to various doctors about 'tension' headaches and generally feeling yuk that I put down to my medication. Three weeks into a LCHF diet combined with vigorous exercise I have lost over a stone in weight, I have reduced my blood pressure medicine, my moods have improved dramatically and I do not feel washed out at work in the afternoons or after my evening meal.

Should be a fascinating appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks to discuss my next lot of blood tests though not sure how much I will be telling her with regards to diet and testing. ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have been rather shocked myself at the food that is recommended by the NHS for diabetics or even for controlling blood pressure. I tried to loss weight but never managed to make much of a difference that lasted.

I switched to porridge, so called 'good' carbs and cut out most red meat about 8 years ago when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure following an appointment with an NHS dietitian. So a bowl of porridge, some juice, occasionally a slice or two of wholemeal toast along with a banana or orange would be get me through to my lunch when working. This would usually consist of butties made with wholemeal bread. The affect on my blood glucose must have been devastating and no doubt my readings after lunch would have been sky high. For years I complained to various doctors about 'tension' headaches and generally feeling yuk that I put down to my medication. Three weeks into a LCHF diet combined with vigorous exercise I have lost over a stone in weight, I have reduced my blood pressure medicine, my moods have improved dramatically and I do not feel washed out at work in the afternoons or after my evening meal.

Should be a fascinating appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks to discuss my next lot of blood tests though not sure how much I will be telling her with regards to diet and testing. ;)
Bloody brilliant Dave. Keep going.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As 4ratbags pointed out it has turned out to be my "best purchase ever". It's clear now the effect that various foods are having on me. Thank you;)[/FONT]
Great. I think the Codefree is best value as far as the cost of the strips is concerned; and it only seem to require a small sample, so only a few tests are wasted. I find that things like porridge raise BG more slowly, but that then, it stays higher for longer, and takes several hours to fall again.

P

paula.nolan42

I got my Codefree recently. Still trying to get to grips with it all. I tend to be high in the mornings. I'm working on the Low Carb approach now and am making a mental not of what's pushing me over the 8.5 mark. Most bread is out but my own home made Brown Bread (from home) didn't spike me (yay) probably because it's high in fibre.

Not wanting to be crass but did your bowl moments drastically change when you went for the Low Carb approach ??

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Bread is a strange one some breads affect my blood glucose readings very badly over an extended period others don't. The problem lies in predicting which bread when what appear similar products have very different affects. I regularly brunch on "Eggs Toscana" at a cafe at my local shopping centre as it has surprisingly little effect on my blood glucose levels but if I make it at home using Foccacia bought from a supermarket the rise in blood glucose level can be both high and long lasting.
The same goes for breaded coatings on fish and meats the effect on BGL can vary enormously.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored

Hi Dave from Weeton Liked your post. Yes me too been going to doctors with generally not feeling well for a couple of years maybe more. They kept putting it down to the stress of losing my son, and I believed them, was only at Christmas 2015 I went down with flu and in Jan 2016 tested and said I was diabetic. How long would I have gone on like this if that doctor that day had not done a glucose test. ? I am now nearly 6 weeks into a LCHF diet only exercise minding grandchildren and aged parents. I have lost 10lbs in weight, and I too generally am feeling much better. I am not sure wether to tell doc this morning about the LCHF diet as my surgery seems not to support it, wondering if its better to not say anything.:confused:

Dave from Weeton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dave from Weeton Liked your post. Yes me too been going to doctors with generally not feeling well for a couple of years maybe more. They kept putting it down to the stress of losing my son, and I believed them, was only at Christmas 2015 I went down with flu and in Jan 2016 tested and said I was diabetic. How long would I have gone on like this if that doctor that day had not done a glucose test. ? I am now nearly 6 weeks into a LCHF diet only exercise minding grandchildren and aged parents. I have lost 10lbs in weight, and I too generally am feeling much better. I am not sure wether to tell doc this morning about the LCHF diet as my surgery seems not to support it, wondering if its better to not say anything.:confused:

Hi Amgrundy, I am hoping that my Doctor will be sympathetic given previous appointments though before I mention anything I have done apart from the vigorous exercise I will be asking whether she believes a low carb diet can help manage my diabetes and take it from there. While it will be easier if my HbA1c has reduced, to discuss anything further would be pointless if they think that is a bad idea.