Fish Fillets

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I can not cook and work all over the country. I want to eat more fish but not keen on it and need advice on how to cook it, must be mild not strong tasting fish fillets. I think things like river cobbler and pollock l have seen as fillets are cheap.

The most important things are lack of my cooking skill so please let me know the idiot version of cooking l eat LCHF so has to be based on that.
Thanks MID :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Season with herbs and wrap in tin foil and shove it in a hot oven for 20 mins, keeps it moist and seals in the flavour.

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Season with herbs and wrap in tin foil and shove it in a hot oven for 20 mins, keeps it moist and seals in the flavour.
Yep.good way to cook fish. You can get boil.in the bag. I have boil in the bag kippers. Makes for tasty easy breakfast If you can boil water, you can cook fish

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yep.good way to cook fish. You can get boil.in the bag. I have boil in the bag kippers. Makes for tasty easy breakfast If you can boil water, you can cook fish

Very convenient the boil in the bags, but I prefer fresh fish Nuthead.

btw, Kippers remind me of when I went to the Isle of Man to watch the TT Races, that's all you could smell on a morning, I've never liked them tbh.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Supermarket fish.
Comes presealed in a bag, simply bung the bag in the oven for as long as it says on it.
If you want seasoning, buy the pre flavoured fish.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes fresh is best. Boil in the bag is good if you can't cook. :cyclops:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
No boil in the bag are on the banned list...l have eaten them for about the last 6 months every week night night till about 2 weeks ago when l just couldn't face another one. Been having pork chops and meat since but need to get into fish.

Hub suggested poached but my eyes glazed when he tried to explain they sound complicated even if he swears they are not...he can cook

Sounds good but what seasoning Nobelhead and what heat on the oven please :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What about tinned salmon with a salad? Plenty of Omega 3. If you can open a tin, your meal is ready. This is my staple lunch.
We buy fresh haddock or cod fillets and cook them on the griddle in a little butter.

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do trout or sea bass in the microwave. I splash a bit of lemon Juice on them a knob of butter or two . I put mine on a large Pyrex dish with another on top and then 6 mins. :)

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooked fish in all ways mentioned in other posts. All easy. Also good on bbq wrapped in foil.

Last edited by a moderator:

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We've had mackerel wrapped in foil done on bbq and it was delicious. :)

Otherhalf

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Frozen white fish from supermarket in micro just covered in milk , little salt pepper , cover cling film and ping for about six mins ,when white and opaque is cooked,make sauce from milk add parsley if liked ,

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The simplest is probably just some lemon butter, salt and pepper. ( perhaps add some chopped parsley)

Trout fillets, with finely sliced spring onions, a bit of chopped root ginger, soy sauce and orange and lime juice . (sorry I don't measure but it's about the juice of half an orange for two + a tablespoon or so of soy.I sometimes add sliced mushrooms.
Either wrap in foil parcels and steam for about five minutes or foil/parchment parcels and bake for about 15 min at 200 or so or quickest stick in a flat dish with some microwave film on top (pricked) and microwave for a couple of minutes.
(trout, preferably whole is also delicious baked with lemon butter and toasted almonds ).http://www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/baked-trout-with-almonds/1750

Salmon fillets : first slice and fry a shallots and a largish flat mushrooms per person (other types work fine though) with some chopped fresh thyme leaves.
Take a square of patchment paper, place 1/4 of the mixture in the middle , place a salmon fillet on top, then the rest of the mushroom mixture. Add a sprig of thyme . Bring the sides and bottom up to make a parcel (sure there must be somewhere on the net showing how). Bake for 15-20 min at 200.

We quite often have something like Panga (River cobbler) or limande which I think is whiting on top of roasted veg.
Roughly chop aubergines, peppers, red onions, courgettes, finely chopped garlic . Sometimes I add fennel. Put in a large flat dish
Toss with some olive oil, and smoked paprika or rosemary and balsamic vinegar.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes at about 225 or until they are starting to get soft, then place the fish on top, dot with butter or brush with oil and a (sorry) sprinklng of breadcrumbs (not those horrid orange things) and or parmesan. Put back in the oven until cooked (can't give times as depends on fish Panga always takes longer than you think it should.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Trout !! I go fly fishing with my son and love trout. lemon sliced on top with parsley and butter, sealed in foil and shoved in the oven oh bliss. Down the freezer for a feed tomorrow. Fly rods out this weekend :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trout !! I go fly fishing with my son and love trout. lemon sliced on top with parsley and butter, sealed in foil and shoved in the oven oh bliss. Down the freezer for a feed tomorrow. Fly rods out this weekend :)
We get ours from the market. The man brings them live in a tank and scoops them out to order! As long as you aren't squeamish about the idea of it , it's the perfect way to buy really fresh fish!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We get ours from the market. The man brings them live in a tank and scoops them out to order! As long as you aren't squeamish about the idea of it , it's the perfect way to buy really fresh fish!
It's so satisfying (and fun) catching your own. That is of course, if you do catch :grumpy::sorry:

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For quick and easy cooking, I usually have them grilled. It usually takes 10 min. I have salmon or whichever is the fresh catch of the day (white fish)

Defrost the fish first.

You can prepare a marinade of your choice, such as (ginger, soy, teriyaki, mustard, pepper) but if I'm lazy or don't have time I have them cooked as it is then I add a splash of lemon and pepper after cooking.

Prepare a skillet, turn the stove on and put 3-5 tbsp oil then wait for approximately 2-3 min. Then grill 4-5 min each side depending on thickness of fish.
Then you're done :) add seasoning or lemon.

Grilled fish goes well with salsas such as (avocado and mango, pineapple, corn salsa) or cream, tomato, curry sauces too.
But I think the basic grilled fish with lemon is good to start off with for cooking, good luck!:)

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always cook my fish in the mic.
Place fish on a Pyrex lid little butter and season.
Cover the whole lid/fish with cling film and place a small hole in cling film. Cook on high for 3 mins check to see if fish is cooked if not cook for a further 2.

Lovely way to cook salmon and cod fillets.

Perfect with salad. :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Here's an easy recipe for you.
Cod and bean stew

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
small rosemary sprig, leaves finely chopped
25g chorizo or other spicy sausage, chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
700g bottle passata
410g can cannellini beans in water, drained
200g shredded green cabbage
4 skinless chunky fillets haddock or cod

Method

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion for 5 mins. Add the rosemary, chorizo and garlic, then fry for 2 mins more until the chorizo is starting to crisp. Tip in the passata, beans and cabbage. Season, then simmer for 5 mins.
Add the fish to the pan, leaving the tops of the fillets peeking out of the sauce, then cover with a lid and leave to cook for 5-8 mins or until the flesh flakes easily. Delicious served with crusty bread.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, October 2008