Fish?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

On the advice of some forum members I have compiled a monthly food plan. In my plan once a week I must have fish (I don't really like it that much!)

Fish day will be a Wednesday and one week it will be my cheesy tuna bake but I don't know what to have on the alternate week.

Any fish lovers with some suggestions? I don't like bones in fish as I had one caught in my throat when I was younger and don't like fish which tastes too fishy...makrel at al lol I am probably thinking of a meaty type white fish? That you can probably get from the supermarket all cleaned and ready to go!

What fish fits the bill?

As always thank you

Reactions: 2 people

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you like prawns? i have these on regular basis as not too keen on fish...or alternatively i buy a cheap piece of cod fillet or something similar and make my own chilli sauce.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like pollack. It's similar to cod, but usually cheaper and I think it tastes nicer too.

Do you like monkfish? That's a good, firm white fish with a nice 'meaty' taste. I seem to remember it's firm enough to put on skewers.

I also like haddock and sole. I'm not fond of bones either so I check the fish over before I cook it and, if necessary, remove any odd bones with a pair of tweezers.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Salmon or white fish like Cod or the cheaper Whiting, ask your fish merchant for some recommendations @Mrsmac247

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the ideas, I shall have a look into those, unfortunately I don't like anything that comes in a shell either, maybe something to do with my star sign or just the texture that gets me!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find tinned salmon very useful, and full of Omega 3 and other healthy stuff. (Wild Alaskan) Handy to have at lunch times with some onion, salad, toms, maybe a boiled egg or cheese, lots of mayo.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thai fish soup with simply cooked chunks of fish, fish baked in tomato sauce, fish pie, fish with leek, spinach and cream sauce, tuna and avocado little burgers

Reactions: 5 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Salmon seems a favourite but i only had it a few times when younger, I may try it again. Can any of these be say fried in butter with some garlic and herbs? Or even baked like that? Will go googling!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Salmon seems a favourite but i only had it a few times when younger, I may try it again. Can any of these be say fried in butter with some garlic and herbs? Or even baked like that? Will go googling!

Yes of course, just don't overcook it and make sure to use fresh garlic :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smoked Haddock poached in milk (with a bay leaf and a good twist or 2 of pepper) - then use the milk to make a cheese source, few new potatos (if you want), steamed cauliflower, broccoli and carrots - You can pick up boneless fillets at any supermarket.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I quite often cook fish in the oven in foil 'parcels', spread with a little butter, herbs and lemon juice, seal in foil and bake for 20 mins or so. Works particularly well with salmon, easy peasy!

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent many thanks. I've got 4 days to track down some fish for next week's menu, think I'll try the foil wrap first sounds like set and forget and that's what I need

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello all,

On the advice of some forum members I have compiled a monthly food plan. In my plan once a week I must have fish (I don't really like it that much!)

Fish day will be a Wednesday and one week it will be my cheesy tuna bake but I don't know what to have on the alternate week.

Any fish lovers with some suggestions? I don't like bones in fish as I had one caught in my throat when I was younger and don't like fish which tastes too fishy...makrel at al lol I am probably thinking of a meaty type white fish? That you can probably get from the supermarket all cleaned and ready to go!

What fish fits the bill?

As always thank you
Mmmm,trout fillets wrapped in foil,slathered in butter.........yum

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl does frozen Salmon fillets which are boneless and not farmed there are 2 in a pack (boxed) I cook them. in the oven in foil with butter and fennel and serve with a rich cheese sauce and Celeriac and swede mash and loads of veg
CAROL

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent many thanks. I've got 4 days to track down some fish for next week's menu, think I'll try the foil wrap first sounds like set and forget and that's what I need
Exactly! Trout is similar to salmon, I have a lovely recipe for trout wrapped in parma ham........mmmm!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Clivethedrive - for how long do you cook the trout, only ever had it in a restaurant and I love it.

Dizzz - tell me about the trout wrapped in parma ham please.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clivethedrive - for how long do you cook the trout, only ever had it in a restaurant and I love it.

Dizzz - tell me about the trout wrapped in parma ham please.

Here you go Carol:
2 trout fillets (approx. 110g each)
50g Parma ham in thin slices
30g butter
Clove of garlic, crushed
Tsp dried sage (or use fresh if, unlike me, you remember to buy it; dried worked perfectly well)
2 lemon wedges
Handful of flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped.

Make the butter in advance if you wish; ensure the butter itself is at room temperature and mash together with the crushed garlic, sage and some seasoning. Tip the softened butter onto a small square of clingfilm and roll up into a little sausage of artery clogging goodness. Bung in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up.

When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180.

Divide your slices of Parma ham into two portions and lay out vertically on a board. Season the trout and then set, horizontally and skin side up, on the top of the ham to form a cross shape.

Remove the butter sausage from the fridge, liberate from the clingfilm and thinly slice. Lay the slices of butter on top of the trout. Wrap the Parma ham around the trout fillet not bothering if the ends remain exposed.

Sit the fish, skin side up, in a baking dish with the two wedges of lemon. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Before serving, squeeze over the roasted lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

I don't bother with the butter sausage, just blob it on! It is delicious.