Fitness/Athletic Teams Needed All 'Types'

Dislikes
Negativity
Hi everyone

My names Andy and I'm a Noobe here.

I am looking to see if there there are any insane amateur athletes here who would be interested in joining me in starting a Team Type 1 here in the UK. I know that there is one in the USA which was set up to promote awareness and understanding that Diabetics are perfectly able to achieve anything.

The basic idea is that we all train together and enter gruelling sporting events not nessesarly to raise money (but this could happen) but to show the world that we are not limited in what what we can do.

Any Takers

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Looking for interest in a team Type1

Andrew Chadwick said:
Any Takers

If only I was younger Andy :(

I think that's a great idea and hope you succeed in building a team together, ask Balance ( Diabetes UK Magazine) if they'll mention it in their next issue, that way your sure to reach a wider audience.

Good luck :thumbup:

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

I'd be up for it! Don't know how the training would work though with everyone living in different places? :D

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

I'd be game but agree, logistics of training could be awkward. I'm in Cambs ( nr Ely ).

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.

unless we made a training plan altogether, go and do it and then report back?

Dislikes
Negativity

Yeah I agree training regular would be tricky but regular wouldn't be necessary. I'd be more than happy to draw up training schedules for everyone and meet up fir team training once a month to go through specifics for up coming events. I already have loads of events lined up and if I can get say a team of ten together will be in a position to contact sponsors to cover costs for entry and equip. Usa team is sponsored by novo.
Just to give a little peace of mind to people I have alot of experience in event training and prior to diabetes was an army physical training instructor and competed in national comps in x country ski-ing and running.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Great idea,
Can I suggest that you contact JDRF and DUK.
When I ran the London Marathon I met several T1 runners who ran good times (not me, I'm in my 60s). I think that there is probably quite a large pool of people that might want to be involved .
Ian Gallen at runsweet might also be helpful.(and there is a forum on his website)
Also worth contacting T1 in the US.

Dislikes
Negativity

Will do thanks phoenix. Have email t1 in usa already and waiting on response but I think they are at an event at moment from what I saw on twitter. Think there sponsorship deal is so good they are paid full time.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Andrew Chadwick said:
Yeah I agree training regular would be tricky but regular wouldn't be necessary. I'd be more than happy to draw up training schedules for everyone and meet up fir team training once a month to go through specifics for up coming events. I already have loads of events lined up and if I can get say a team of ten together will be in a position to contact sponsors to cover costs for entry and equip. Usa team is sponsored by novo.
Just to give a little peace of mind to people I have alot of experience in event training and prior to diabetes was an army physical training instructor and competed in national comps in x country ski-ing and running.

Nice idea ! that could work. I'm certainly interested. I'm currently in OK shape and work out regularly. More importantly, up for a bit of a laugh :D :D :D :D :D

Faith*

Dislikes

Available for all abilities or are you going to set a standard i.e runs a mile in 9 mins / regularly competes in 5-10k / trains 2-3 times per week?

cavs

I'd be very interested in this-Andrew, looks like we have had similar background :wink:
I am in Herts so local too!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

So, it's looking promising. What's next ? I'm guessing we all probably like to keep fit in our own ways. Should we just carry on or should we create a plan where we can post progress/results/motivation etc each month ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cavs

I guess it won't do any harm to keep fit in our own ways then come up with a plan where we can add to our usual regimes to suit events/targets we want to complete.

Any Cardio Vascular training will up your stamina which will help in any events. :wink:

Faith*

Dislikes

cavs said:
I guess it won't do any harm to keep fit in our own ways then come up with a plan where we can add to our usual regimes to suit events/targets we want to complete.

Any Cardio Vascular training will up your stamina which will help in any events. :wink:

Definitely with the Cardio - me and my fella just completed Insanity by Shaun T - 90 days pure cardio it was brill and the results are great as long as you stick too it, the cardio has really helped me run for longer though which is good.

We should get a grasp of people's targets / goals like you've said cavs ?

Dislikes
Negativity

Hi Every one

Well I have to say I'm quite pleased with the response. I have already set the ball rolling and will update you all as things happen.
Should have a website up and running in the next week or too which I will send a link to so people can register their interest.
I have designed it so that any one can get involved and will have three different ways people can join the group.
1. Team T1 Ultimate (or something along those lines) which will be for the super keen people with a very high fitness level who can compete as pro or semi pro athletes at events.
2. Team T1 which any one can join and compete at events as a team very much like the thing that all the charities do such as Diabetes UK, british heart foundation and so on.
3. Spectators and supporters, who due to age, injury or ability can join the group and provide logistic support and good cheer to everyone taking part.

Funding. I haven't done all the maths yet but expect there will be a small one off joining fee to cover the cost of kits, and so on but I will be approaching potential sponsors once the admin side is set up looking for them to cover the cost of event entries and logistics. Initially I know two businesses that will be happy to cover this in the short term but a larger funder will be needed long term.

Obviously there is scope to raise funding through individual sponsorship but this is not the way forward as I see it as It puts a lot of pressure on people and the aim is more to create awareness of our abilities and not fund raising. Plus it would be better to give any individual funds raised direct to research than to fund our activities.

Will be in touch soon but feel free to PM me your contact details or register interest in the mean time.

Andy :thumbup: :thumbup: