Fitness trackers?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am seriously thinking about a fitness tracker to help me monitor my physical activity so I can optimise my diet and exercise. Before I take the plunge I was wondering if devices like FitBit or MiBand, which are designed to work with smartphones and related devices, need the smart device to be present all the time or can you download the data from the fitness tracker when convenient. Basically I use a Windows Phone and not all fitness trackers are compatible but I do have an Android tablet but don't carry this around with me all the time.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I've been using Fitbit Flex for almost a year now and I love it! For Fitbit, you get a small USB dongle that you can plugin into your computer (Windows or Mac, there's also an unofficial app for Linux) and it will download your readings whenever you're close to the computer (or you can explicitly click on the app to download the data). Fitbit gives you a nice dashboard on their website where you can see all your numbers, your progress, etc. There's also a smartphone app (I tried it on iOS and Android, but I'm pretty sure it works on Windows Phone as well) - it can download the readings, but it also has an ability to track your exercise using GPS in your phone.

Ah, for Fitbit, you don't need to download the data to see your progress - you can tap the tracker and it will light up showing you your progress for the day :) The Flex will also start buzzing when you reach your daily target! :) Very nice.

Hope this helps :) Feel free to ask more questions!

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I've been using Fitbit Flex for almost a year now and I love it! For Fitbit, you get a small USB dongle that you can plugin into your computer (Windows or Mac, there's also an unofficial app for Linux) and it will download your readings whenever you're close to the computer (or you can explicitly click on the app to download the data). Fitbit gives you a nice dashboard on their website where you can see all your numbers, your progress, etc. There's also a smartphone app (I tried it on iOS and Android, but I'm pretty sure it works on Windows Phone as well) - it can download the readings, but it also has an ability to track your exercise using GPS in your phone.

Ah, for Fitbit, you don't need to download the data to see your progress - you can tap the tracker and it will light up showing you your progress for the day :) The Flex will also start buzzing when you reach your daily target! :) Very nice.

Hope this helps :) Feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks :) Do you think a Fitbit can be shared between two people or must you have one each (my wife is interested but we'd probably use one at different times).?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks :) Do you think a Fitbit can be shared between two people or must you have one each (my wife is interested but we'd probably use one at different times).?
I don't think it's intended to be used by more than 1 person. There's no option to divide the stats between 2 people as far as I know :( You'd also have to modify the settings each time you switch - there's an age and height and stuff like that that you need to input when registering (I think the height is used to calculate the number of steps based on the acceleration or something).

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it's intended to be used by more than 1 person. There's no option to divide the stats between 2 people as far as I know :( You'd also have to modify the settings each time you switch - there's an age and height and stuff like that that you need to input when registering (I think the height is used to calculate the number of steps based on the acceleration or something).

That's what I was expecting.

kmaster26

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am seriously thinking about a fitness tracker to help me monitor my physical activity so I can optimise my diet and exercise. Before I take the plunge I was wondering if devices like FitBit or MiBand, which are designed to work with smartphones and related devices, need the smart device to be present all the time or can you download the data from the fitness tracker when convenient. Basically I use a Windows Phone and not all fitness trackers are compatible but I do have an Android tablet but don't carry this around with me all the time.
I use FitBit and I really like this devices ;):)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive a fitbit charge as its a watch as well as a tracker and I absolutely love it! best thing I have bought by far. Ebay ex display its about the same price as a flex :)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see this thread has revived a bit. In the end I started using my Nokia Lumia 930 windows phone as it has a feature called Sensorcore which enables fitness apps to count steps without the battery running down fast and Microsoft's own health and fitness app for windows phone is quite good.The main disadvantage is that you don't wear your phone so you only get measured for steps and distance when you have it with you, but that's fine for me.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 this morning, which is better than I expected as it's only 6 hours of fasting and yesterday was quite high-carb, including some ice cream and a beer after another big dinner. Half an hour after the beer and less than two hours after the end of dinner I was 7.7 before going to bed. Will be back on a more carb-conscious regime today.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
best is to get the combo - garmin vivofit and garmin heart rate monitor. That will complete the setting. You can measure your heart rate; so that you will know how hard or how soft you are training, accurate measurement of calories, etc. All readings are on the web, with complete analysis. It is possible to use one unit for two people, but they have to exercise different time obviously. Better to get one for each person, just in case if you want to jog or run together.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Further to my post, I would like add
1. I actually own and use the combo - garmin vivofit and garmin heart rate monitor.
2. With these little gadgets, I was able to effectively adjust myself and able to reach my fitness goals.

So, If anyone has specific questions on garmin gadgets, let me know. I am glad to assist

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a fitbit Charge HR. Pretty good but it does not count carbs. You can buy an ap called mynetdiary for $60 a year that counts the carbs but not bothered about paying for yet another mini brain. see http://www.mynetdiary.com/

Today I found a Chrome plugin called FitbitKeto. Here is what the blurb says:
"This extension replaces the Sodium column with Net Carbs in the Log Food page on the FitBit.com site.

Limitations: This initial version does not display net carbs in the Premium food report section. It's a limitation I'd like to fix in the future."

As I use Google Chrome as my brower I have it installed from here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fitbitketo/gkpaagblehjajcbedipoaipnhclecemn?hl=en

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a fitbit Charge HR.
This Garmin fitbit chargeHR is a very sophisticated and latest gadget than 'vivofit' that I suggested. This chargeHR has heart monitor built-in to it. The HR sensor is located beneath the strap and hence does not require a separate HR strap to operate with. Just that a strap based HR monitor will have a higher accuracy, however Garmin has intelligent algorithms in its latest gadgets to display the HR readings as close as possible to strap type HR monitors.

There is another model: Garmin Surge. That gadget has all the features in it including HR sensor and GPS. Then it costs 250 bucks.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is it ok to wear a fitbit Charge HR if you are wearing a pump does anybody know

Yes, perfectly fine. My bro does that all the time. He is office executive, wears both. Just that Charge HR is visible to everybody, but he conceals the pump. This charge HR is very fine class of gadget, if used properly one can get several benefits.

But personally, I do not like to see people completely becoming a slave or puppet to these gadget [like my bro]. He brother behaves as though he is married to that little peace of gadget. Exercise, diet, work/ walk and even sleep - all are measured and he reviews everyday on computer with myfitnesspal. But for some, yes, gadgets are the way.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He brother behaves as though he is married to that little peace of gadget. Exercise, diet, work/ walk and even sleep - all are measured and he reviews everyday on computer with myfitnesspal. .
I agree that it's not for everyone but I like it for keeping a track on my daily activities. Having downloaded the Chrome FitbitKeto plug in, fiddling with the food bit is probably not going to last very long. I had a salad for lunch with a host of ingredients and did a quick estimate of carb loading. With the fitbit you have to enter each ingredient in turn, by weight - will I be doing that after today - not if it interferes with riding my bike.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to focus on increasing my exercise as much as on changing my diet - I'm a recently-diagnosed-T2D - and was wondering about a fitness monitor, so finding this thread has been great for me. Off the top of my head, I can't remember its brand name, but does anyone have experience of the one you pay an annual subscription for (at a rate which doesn't seem high), rather than buying your own gadget?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've still not taken the plunge and bought myself a fitness monitor. My income's low enough for this to feel like a 'big' purchase (on top of my bg monitoring supplies). I've procrastinated so long, I'm having second thoughts - having decided a Samsung Gear Fit would be the one I'd go for.

Anyone else look back and think it was a bit of a waste of money?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've still not taken the plunge and bought myself a fitness monitor. My income's low enough for this to feel like a 'big' purchase (on top of my bg monitoring supplies). I've procrastinated so long, I'm having second thoughts - having decided a Samsung Gear Fit would be the one I'd go for.

Anyone else look back and think it was a bit of a waste of money?

I am familiar with Garmin. Vivofit is very basic and cheapest, but can do most of the fitness measurements. You need to study the following when buying these gadgets:

1. Battery life [battery of garmin vivofit lasts about 1 year; no recharging is required at all; can be replaced when required]
2. Ease of use [does it require a high end smart phone or computer/ how the data is transferred; Garmin vivofit comes with ant+ usb stick to transfer the data]
3. monitoring of steps, cardio and resistance exercises [most pedo meters monitor steps and calories. However, to monitor calories of exercises some - like Garmin - require a separate heart rate monitor. this looks like a strap and goes around the chest; very accurate, no buttons or setting on HRM].
4. accuracy - Garmin, polaris, samsung are well known and almost have same accuracy.
5. If heart rate measurements is there - how the reading is observed [most gadgets require the person to stop doing the activity and press some button to measure - this is a major disadvantage. That is why I went for Garmin with HRM. Polaris offers same combination.
6. Bells & whistles - some guys need alarms, bells and whistles - to alert them; bluetooth and wi-fi; functions of smart phone on fitness gadgets. My position is that a good level of concentration on walking or any other exercise is needed and sms/ phone calls are distraction. Garmin vivofit is 'deaf and dumb' cannot make noise or cannot hear anything! These bells and whistles drain the battery very fast.

hope this helps.