Fitness with diabetes aged 17

HBC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been a type 1 diabetic (currently novo rapid&lantus insulin dependent) since the age of two.

My fitness and interest in sport all originated from Sir.Steve Redgrave, a 5X gold winning Olympic rower. I started rowing at my local club aged 12, more specificity coxing as time went on because I was small. I carried rowing and coxing on through till aged 16, going from local competitions to national level races, coming in 5th in a number of national finals and also trailing for GB France (An entry race into the international world of rowing).

At the age of 16 I stopped rowing for my A-levels and started to become heavily interested in personal fitness and health. I joined my local gym and have been training, on average 5 times a week, for the past year and a half. I started out weighing 53kg, with poor fitness and strength. I am now 68kg; stronger and healthier than I have ever been (roughly 14kg muscle gain), from barely being able to deadlift the bar (bar that wieghts are loaded on) to deadlifting 140kg.

I am still training, and in my final year of A-levels. I would have thought that something like this would never be possible. But, thanks to figures such as Redgrave, and two amazing rowing coaches, I have come to learn that there are no limitations with diabetes.

Anything is possible, we are like any other person, but better, with more reasons and more determinism to do better. I suppose the moral of the story is don't let your diabetes get you down, if you put your mind to it, you can do anything.

Reactions: 4 people

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nice @HBC !!
I'm 17 too and know what it's like to be able to prove others wrong that you can do things just like they can!
We're better than others like you say- we can show understanding and determination so much more :D

Reactions: 2 people

Jane!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for this - inspirational! I was diagnosed Type 1 just 6 months ago at age 54 & am determined to get back to my usual level of fitness & get trekking & travelling again. Am trying to treat my diabetes as a health and fitness hobby!

Reactions: 2 people

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I was diagnosed T1 in January and find that if I don't give myself insulin before my dinner then do exercise I'm still going hypo. I know I am still learning but hearing your story made me realise that I can (and will) get back to normal.

CompoT1DM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I am a type 1 diabetic qualified rescue scuba diver,cat b skydiver and in the middle of a personal training course hopefully go on to diabetes training in sports and as you may of noticed i am a wee bit older than you and yes you can acheive most things with the right mind set,go out and show the world and good luck