FlexLink canula coming off after shower?

kellyrae

Hi, this weekend we went on a little one night break to York, this is the first time i have been away whilst being on my pump so I was well prepared, took my old insulin pens, 2 spare canulas, batteries etc.......
I changed my cartridge and canula the morning we set off, It didnt feel right and was quite tender so i decided to change it as we were going out that evening, I changed it a good 2 hrs before taking a shower, but i noticed whilst in the shower it was hanging off from the top so I had to change it again, this was my last canula, unfortunately it did exactly the same!!!
It just wouldnt stick, so I tried plaster to keep it on and they also would not stick down, so i ended up having to take it out and use my insulin pens and now today my blood sugars have quite high all day.

I gave myself my lantuse last night so I dont really think I should re-attach my pump untill tomorrow now as it would be like having double basal rates.

Has anyone else had this happen because normally the adhesive on those canulas are usually like super glue?

docvern

Dislikes
Diabetes
hi
on odd occassions i have had problems with thing not sticking correctly but i found that overtime the blue egg loader gets sticky and needs washed,,,,,,,,,,
also if i am away or with limited canulas i would always keep the original one on until i have put a new one on, then take of the old one , that way if the new 1 does not stick correctly if i am low on canulas i just reuse the original until i get home and with a plentiful supply can replace it...........
bit long winded but it works
good luck and take care

iHs

usually, infusion sets stick to the skin fairly well so the only thing I can think of that might have prevented yours from sticking was that you had some moisture cream or baby oil maybe forming a barrier on your skin. This is fixable though by wiping the skin under the set with an alcohol wipe (ebay sell them very cheap). This will then enable the adhesive on the set to stick ok.

The alcohol wipes are also really good for cleaning the inserters for infusion sets and will remove any adhesive residue :wink:

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Well the only experience I've had of these coming unstuck is when I've been in a hot tub, but luckily enough only on one occasion and then I went in the hot tub soon after popping the cannula on, so I guess the glue hadn't quite set.